Translation help - German to English

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Richard Hedrick

Translation help - German to English

Post by Richard Hedrick » 30 Oct 2014, 01:07

hello all,

I would appreciate help with definitions to the following: (specifically how they differ)

Elektroschlosser
Elektromechaniker

It seems one (the schlosser ?) would responsible for the electrical system and electrical devices on the vehicle, he would troubleshoot any electrical issues and pull any part that was not operating properly and replace it with a working part. The other would be responsible for actually repairing any electrical part that had been pulled from the vehicle.

Am i close or way off? I understand the words themselves are not specific to vehicle repair this was just an example.

Many Thanks,
Richard

Linden Lyons

Re: Translation help - German to English

Post by Linden Lyons » 01 Nov 2014, 13:50

Richard Hedrick wrote:...
It seems one [Elektroschlosser] would responsible for the electrical system and electrical devices on the vehicle, he would troubleshoot any electrical issues and pull any part that was not operating properly and replace it with a working part. The other [Elektromechaniker] would be responsible for actually repairing any electrical part that had been pulled from the vehicle.
So perhaps the first is a mechanic and the second an electrician?

Richard Hedrick

Re: Translation help - German to English

Post by Richard Hedrick » 01 Nov 2014, 21:54

Thanks for the reply.

I think the issue could be one of semantics as they both have the word Electro. So the question could then be what is the difference between an electrician and electro mechanic, in this context.

Both of these description are positions in a panzerjäger company (see below) and as such must have very distinct roles while still both having to do with vehicle electrical systems. What I am trying to determine is what those roles actually are.

I have no experience with military vehicle maintenance but I suspect they would be similar to working aircraft. Long ago when I worked on aircraft avionics there were two distinct groups, the guys on the line pulling boxes out of the jets and the guys in the shop repairing the black boxes that had been pulled. I am thinking this might be the case for these two distinct position. The 6 schlosser working on the vehicles and pulling parts as needed and the single mechaniker repairing the parts that are pulled.

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of my definition for these two positions?

Many thanks,
Richard
Electroschlosser.jpg
Electroschlosser.jpg (18.74 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”