Help with abbreviations of Armee-Nachrichtenführer

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
james37

Help with abbreviations of Armee-Nachrichtenführer

Post by james37 » 09 Apr 2015, 10:47

Hello !!
I am stucked with this difficult, for me, german abbreviations which came from the activity report of Armee-Nachrichtenführer (could it be translated as Army Chief Intelligence ?? )

Nafü. 715. Inf.Div = Nachrichtenführer 715. Infanterie-Division. I found that the meaning is "senior Signal officer" so in this specific case he is the senior signal officer of the 715. Infanterie-Division, am I correct ? What was the role of this man ?

b. Gen.d.Dt.Lw. in Mittelitalien = bei General ........ Lufwaffe in Mttleitalien

Verst.Ant

Verst.Amt

Lw.Verm. = Luftwaffe

kl. O.Qu.Abt

Fuhr. und O.Qu.Abt = Führer und

100 Watt-Trupp des Div.Kdrs

HNF beim Bev.Gen.d.Dt.Wehrm. in Italien = .... beim Bevollmachtigter General ..... Wehrmacht in Italien

Befehl an Armee-Nachr.Rgt. zur Durchbringung 2 F (Oder for ?? What is "2F“ ? "2 Fernkabel" maybe ?? However I don’t understand the meaning…)

Feldschalttrupp der F.S.A. zbV 1 (here I found that the Feldschalt-Abteilung is a "Special signals relay unit" so the Feldschalt Trupp will be a small team, usually of 4 soldiers, of the "Special signals relay unit". Instead I don't understand why there is the number 1 and the abbreviation F.S.A.)

O.O. (after this abbreviations the sentences says: "the cables for the connection are hardly damaged.”)

Instandh.Komp = ...... Kompanie

Voraussichtl.

Fü.Abt. = Führer-Abteilung ??

I don’t understand also the meaning and the role of:

80 Watt-Punktrupp
2 Bautrupps
100 Watt-Trupp

Thanks !!

Heimatschuss

Re: Help with abbreviations of Armee-Nachrichtenführer

Post by Heimatschuss » 09 Apr 2015, 23:21

Hello,

Armee-Nachrichtenführer (could it be translated as Army Chief Intelligence ?? )
No, he was the head of communications/signals of that particular army. The head of intelligence was the Ic officer of an army.

b. Gen.d.Dt.Lw. in Mittelitalien = b.[eim] Gen.[eral] d.[er] D[eu]t.[schen] L[uft]w[affe] in Mittelitalien
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... talien.htm

Verst.Ant = ??? Perhaps a typing error, correct should be Verst.Amt

Verst.Amt = Verst.[ärker]-Amt = amplifier office, to counter the dampening of electrical signals along a transmission line
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verst%C3%A4rkeramt

Lw.Verm. = L[uft]w[affen]-Verm.[ittlungsstelle]
Luftwaffe telephone/telex switchboard where telephone operators arrange the desired phone connections
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1545785

kl. O.Qu.Abt = kl.[eine] O.[ber]qu.[artiermeister]abt.[eilung]

Fuhr. und O.Qu.Abt = (presumably) Führ.[ungs]- und O.[ber]qu.[artiermeister]abt.[eilung]

100 Watt-Trupp des Div.Kdrs = 100 Watt-Trupp des Divisionskommandeurs
radio team of the divisional commander, equipped with 100 Watt radio

HNF beim Bev.Gen.d.Dt.Wehrm. in Italien
= H[öherer] N[achrichten]f[ührer] b.[eim] Bev.[ollmächtigten] Gen.[eral] d.[er] D[eu]t[schen] Wehrm.[acht] in Italien

Befehl an Armee-Nachr.Rgt. zur Durchbringung 2 F
No clue, sorry

Feldschalttrupp der F.S.A. zbV 1
When it comes to troops an Abteilung is a unit of battalion size. There were at least F.[eld]S.[chalt]A.[bteilung] z.b.V. 1 and F.[eld]S.[chalt]A.[bteilung] z.b.V. 2 in the German forces. So the number '1' belongs to the battalion. The four-men-team had no particular designation, just the designation of their parent unit is given.

O.O. = perhaps: O.[hne] O.[rtsangabe] = without specific location

Instandh.Komp = Instandh.[altungs]-Komp.[anie] = maintenance company

Voraussichtl. = voraussichtl.[ich] = prospectively, probably

Fü.Abt. = Fü.[hrungs]-Abt.[eilung]

80 Watt-Punktrupp = should be 80 Watt-Funktrupp = team with 80 Watt radio
2 Bautrupps = 2 construction teams, presumably for laying telephone lines
100 Watt-Trupp = team with 100 Watt radio

Best regards
Torsten

james37

Post by james37 » 10 Apr 2015, 18:37

Hi Torsten,
thank you for your reply. So, the Armee-Nachrichtenführer is the H.Q. of communication/signals of that particulary Army, am I understand correctly ?

Yes, after what you wrote I think too that "Verst.Ant" was a typing I think it is probably a typing mistake.

About the Verstärkeramt and the Luftwaffen-Vermittlungsstelle, we are talking about an office installed at the H.Q. of an Army, right ?

About the 100 Watt Trupp and 80 Watt Trupp, is it something like this ? Image

Führungs Abtleilung it is the department which had the reponsability of managing the Ia, Ic, Nachrichtenabteilung, Pionier and Artillerie, correct ? (I understand that reading this article: "http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliederung ... _Wehrmacht")

Finally, the Bautrupps are the troops of the Pionier. I didn't know they had a specific name. :roll: And I think that "Befehl an Armee-Nachr.Rgt. zur Durchbringung 2 F" it is "Befehl an Armee-Nachrichten Regiment zur Durchbringung 2 Feldkabel" , because after this sentence there is a report of the next day which says :
" 1F place a to place b"
" 1F place c to place d"

So they are referring the sentence at the cable used to connect one place to another ("Feldkabel").

Thank you very much and I am sorry for some many questions but I have to understand well otherwise you know is impossibile to understand the entire context.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 12 Apr 2015, 12:32

Hello,
So, the Armee-Nachrichtenführer is the H.Q. of communication/signals of that particulary Army, am I understand correctly ?
Yes.
About the Verstärkeramt and the Luftwaffen-Vermittlungsstelle, we are talking about an office installed at the H.Q. of an Army, right ?
Well, they could be in the same place as the HQ but they were not necessarily. The Verstärkeramt was subordinated to the army HQ I'm sure but it would be cleverer to place it in a location where it could amplify calls coming in as well as those going out. So a place half-way between the HQ and the next amplifier office would be the best solution. To the best of my knowledge Luftwaffe had its own independent communications network. The Luftwaffe switchboard was only the node for the army to get into the Luftwaffe telephone net.
About the 100 Watt Trupp and 80 Watt Trupp, is it something like this ?
Your photos show a Tornisterfunkgerät (= backpack radio set) which had an emission power of just 0.1 - 2 Watt because they were merely
battery-powered. The much stronger 80 or 100 Watt radios required electricity from a running motor engine (radio truck or the like). Types with this emission power were the FuG 12 SE 80 or FuG 12a SE 80 (both 80 Watt) and the FuG 11 SE 100 (100 Watt). The backpack radios that belonged to each of these radio sets mainly served as receivers. They could only radio themselves back to the HQ when they were close enough or
if other backpack radio teams in between relayed the message.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waf ... eraete.htm
Here's a 80 Watt radio http://fykse.dnsalias.com/radio/old/german1/80wsa.htm
Führungs Abtleilung it is the department which had the reponsability of managing the Ia, Ic, Nachrichtenabteilung, Pionier and Artillerie, correct ?
Yes, I think that's correct.
Finally, the Bautrupps are the troops of the Pionier. I didn't know they had a specific name.
If these Bautrupps were for laying telephone lines they were most likely part of the signallers (Nachrichten-Kompanie, Nachrichten-Abteilung, Naachrichten-Regiment).
And I think that "Befehl an Armee-Nachr.Rgt. zur Durchbringung 2 F" it is "Befehl an Armee-Nachrichten Regiment zur Durchbringung 2 Feldkabel" , because after this sentence there is a report of the next day which says :
" 1F place a to place b"
" 1F place c to place d"
The context indeed supports the idea that the 'F' in this case stands for Feldfernkabel.

Best regards
Torsten

james37

Post by james37 » 15 Apr 2015, 19:07

Thank you very much Torsten. Everything is clear now ! :)

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”