US serviceman haunted book

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
copperpotuk

US serviceman haunted book

Post by copperpotuk » 18 May 2015, 09:15

I have come across a small brown book with New Testament, Psalms on the front, in the front page is a printed note from Roosevelt.

The previous owner written is:

ROBERT P ADAMSON (SGT)
1603 SPENCER AVE, AKRON, OHIO

Next of Kin:
MRS R P ADAMSON

DATE: 2-26-43

The story of this was that it was found in a bombed building in central London during WW2, every owner of the book has experienced bad luck and it has been said the book has an bad feeling connected to it, to such an extend that the book has actually been exercised by a priest!

The current owners of the book would like to get it back to the serviceman’s family or even the serviceman if he survived the war, any details on this US soldier would be greatly received.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: US serviceman haunted book

Post by OpanaPointer » 18 May 2015, 11:09

Well, you can relax. There's no such thing as "haunted".
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

copperpotuk

Post by copperpotuk » 13 Jun 2015, 13:16

Anyone on the forum in OHIO can help to see if the family still live at the address?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 13 Jun 2015, 16:02

Why not write to "Family Of..." at that address and see what you get back?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

copperpotuk

Post by copperpotuk » 13 Jun 2015, 16:35

Think that appears to be my only option at this point, thanks

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 13 Jun 2015, 17:16

One other option would be to ask the VFW in that city if they would take it and try and track down some family. They love doing that kind of thing.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 13 Jun 2015, 23:27

OpanaPointer wrote:Why not write to "Family Of..." at that address and see what you get back?
I second this, there appears to be occupied house at that address. Unless the streets are backwards, then it would be a vacant lot. Looks to be right next to the Goodyear test track

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 14 Jun 2015, 00:15

After due thought I'd go with the VFW approach, boots on the ground would be better. At least let them do some of the work identifying relatives.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 14 Jun 2015, 02:04

copperpotuk wrote:I

The current owners of the book would like to get it back to the serviceman’s family or even the serviceman if he survived the war, any details on this US soldier would be greatly received.
Perchance have you seen it, and checked the printer's name? I was wondering if it was a Gideon Bible. I assume it is. Is it just a New Testament?

Years ago, the Gideons gave out a bible (New Testament) to all soldiers. I was wondering if this practice went back to WWII. I found or ended up with many over the years, gave away ones when I could , but I still probable have 6-8-10? :milsmile:

I doubt they do so now , given all the PCBS, but things were different in the past.

Patches

Post by Patches » 14 Jun 2015, 04:12

copperpotuk wrote:I have come across a small brown book with New Testament, Psalms on the front, in the front page is a printed note from Roosevelt.

The previous owner written is:

ROBERT P ADAMSON (SGT)

Next of Kin:
MRS R P ADAMSON

DATE: 2-26-43
It may not help much at this point, but a record was located for Robert Adamson at the US National Archives:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/display-par ... 983%20desc

The number listed under the next of kin's information (above) is Adamson's US Army serial number (35594951). The record shows that Adamson lived in Summit county, enlisted at Akron, Ohio in 1942 and was recruited from "civil[ian]" life. Adamson was born in 1920.

In 1973 there was a huge fire where US military personnel records were housed and many were completely destroyed, while others survived and still others were salvaged, revealing only partial information. So finding records can be difficult at times.

You might consider trying this inquiry over on the US Militaria Forum where they have a section devoted to this sort of research (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... -research/ and the more you can find out about Adamson's records, the more leads you have to run in locating him (if he is still living) or his family members. Too bad we don't have his spouse's name...

Nowadays there are lots of Adamson's living in Akron & Summit county according to county property records, perhaps contacting some of them may help? http://fiscalweb.summitoh.net/clt/refin ... ion=Search

Meanwhile, the address at 1603 Spencer Avenue is no good. The US Postal Service indicates that it is a bad address, and no owner was found in a property appraisal search for that address. Google maps shows no homes on the entire street so at some point they were demolished; the property owner is likely either the city or a corporation having been registered at another, unknown address.

As for the Bible being haunted, I am not a believer in those sorts of things except for a medallion I have. It belonged to a soldier I later learned was KIA and even before finding that out, the thing somehow always gave me the creeps. It had an eagle on it and this odd sort of dark patina... and I felt an indescribable sense of unease from the moment I opened the box it was in. Haunted? I don't know, but I sure didn't like it!!

Good luck to you.

Patches

Post by Patches » 14 Jun 2015, 06:30

Copperpotuk:

I looked around a bit more and may have found Robert P Adamson's daughter. I will PM you with that info.

copperpotuk

Post by copperpotuk » 14 Jun 2015, 09:00

Thanks all, when I get a moment I'll upload some pictures.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 14 Jun 2015, 09:50

Thank you Patches for finding more current info on the address. The Sat picture I originally found had several houses still on the Ave., now they are gone.

Also thank you for restating the original topic poster and sorta confirming it may be a Gideon.

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 14 Jun 2015, 17:37

Could this be him?

http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/R ... on-8517462

(edit: Sorry, I missed Patches' post, I'm assuming this is the same source...)

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 14 Jun 2015, 17:45

Based on what, exactly? :roll: It's fairly well documented that objects can possess certain kinds of "energies" that influence the material world.
OpanaPointer wrote:Well, you can relax. There's no such thing as "haunted".

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”