Help with Russian

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Help with Russian

Post by Jeff Leach » 12 Feb 2016, 14:27

In a document of the 24th June 1941 from the artillery staff of the Soviet 9th Army

В течении дня 24.06 пр-к стрем??ср развивать успех на вост.берег п.ПРУТ в р-нах: КУХХЕШТИ, ВИИЦОРА, МУСТЯЦЫ, СКУМНИЯ на оцтальных участках фронта армии артиллерийская перест-релка.

which should read something like

During the 24th June 1941 our forces were rapidly deployed along the east bank of the Prut River at: KUHNEŠTI, VIIŠORA, MUSTÂCY, SKULANI (?). The rest of the artillery of the front's armies was reorganized (?)

here it is the abbreviation 'перест-релка' that I am uncertain of. My guess was it was переставить (to shift) or перестановка (to reorganize/rearaign) neither of which really fit.

Art
Forum Staff

Re: Help with Russian

Post by Art » 12 Feb 2016, 15:32

"During the day of 24.6 the enemy was seeking to expand his gains on the eastern side of the Prut River at ..... Artillery firefight in other sectors of the army's front"
перест-релка
it is a whole word actually - "перестрелка", not an abreviation

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 12 Feb 2016, 17:56

Ouch really made a mess of that one. The Russian language gives me no ends to trouble. Comparing the two translations it is easy to see my mistakes. Thanks for the help.

Just to set the record straight - Skulyany is the only place on the list the German had a bridgehead at; although Kukhneshty may be referring to the Romanian bridgehead to the southwest at Sânta Marie. The Axis had only crossed the Prut River at Vinshoara with a combat patrol.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 12 Feb 2016, 19:21

Continuing with the same document there were some abbreviation I couldn't locate

266th Corps Artillery Regiment

1/ and 2/266th Corps Artillery Regiment subordinate to the 95th Rifle Division. ОП in the region BUŽOR, хут.IVANOVKA, кол.STREMBENY ; 3/226th Corps Artillery Regiment – ORGEEV. Continue formation of Corps Artillery Regiment in second line; 4/266th Corps Artillery Regiment subordinate to the 176th Rifle Division.

хут. = single farm, in the US Army's Soviet Military Abbreviations

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 12 Feb 2016, 21:31

ОП - огневая позиция - gun firing position
хут. - хутор - a farm or hamlet usually in Ukraine or southern Russia
кол. - must by колония (colony) - a settlement specially allotted to migrants (internal or external). You can translate it simply as "village"

igor_verh

Post by igor_verh » 12 Feb 2016, 22:26

Art wrote: кол. - must by колония (colony) - a settlement specially allotted to migrants (internal or external).
кол. also may be колхоз (коллективное хозяйство), kolkhoz - collective farm, a village with fields and grazing areas around

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 18 Feb 2016, 16:25

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”