How do you pronounce von Manstein?

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Zygmunt

Post by Zygmunt » 28 Jun 2004, 12:05

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote: 'sty' should be like 'Sty' (as in Sylvester Stallones nick)
Christian, your "fun manstyne" makes sense, but isn't Sylvester Stallone's nickname "Sly"? How's about "sty" as in "pigsty" (where the pigs live)?

Zygmunt (working on a good, throaty, "chhh")

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 28 Jun 2004, 18:57

isn't Sylvester Stallone's nickname "Sly"? How's about "sty" as in "pigsty" (where the pigs live)?
You are right, of course :oops:

Christian

MacX

Post by MacX » 06 Jul 2004, 15:59

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:In my oppinion, it should be

fun manstyne

'fun' as in the word 'fun', with the 'u' slightly more towards an 'o'
'man' as in 'man' in 'mannequin'
'sty' should be like 'Sty' (as in Sylvester Stallones nick)
'ne' should have a short 'n' and a mute 'e'

'sty' and 'ne' must be pronouced as one syllable

Christian
bullshit, that's one point that always bothers me about the way americans pronounce German words. ST is nearly never spoken like in english, but like Sh-T... don't see, why Americans can't speak this, it ain't that hard. Germans do pronounce english words without problems... (most do)

von Manstein would be pronounced like this: fonn Munn Sht-eye-n

and there's no "slightly" o in von. if you pronounce it like "fun", it's simply wrong, because that would sound more like dutch

Zygmunt

Post by Zygmunt » 07 Jul 2004, 22:06

MacX wrote:...that's one point that always bothers me about the way americans pronounce German words. ST is nearly never spoken like in english, but like Sh-T... don't see, why Americans can't speak this,
(my emphasis)
Are you saying that Canadians, Brits, Australians etc. etc. pronounce German names competently? Perhaps a term like "English-speakers", or "anglophones" would work well here - so that the Americans don't feel picked on, and the rest of us don't feel left out...

Zygmunt (an anglophone)

MacX

Post by MacX » 07 Jul 2004, 23:21

I'm sorry. I meant anglophones :P
Americans just came up to my mind first, because of those bad jokes in US ww2 films etc

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 09 Jul 2004, 04:12

This thread is becoming a parody of Mel Brooks' spoof "Young Frankenstein".

For those who haven't seen it, Gene Wilder's a descendent of the old Baron von Frankenstein and inherits the castle etc....

He works as a professor at a Californian school where everyone calling him Prof Frankenst-eye-n is corrected by Wilder: "No no, it's Frankenst-ee-n!".

In English, names containing "ei" take the first letter for pronounciation, in German it's the latter.

So the former Celtic and Scotland football manager was Jock Stein (pronounced st-ee-n).

The German paratropper colonel in "The Eagle Has Landed" was Oberst Steiner (pronounced st-eye-ner or sht-eye-ner).

The British writer Len Deighton is pronounced (D-ay-ton), were he German it would be (D-eye-ton).

Cheers from Rich

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 09 Jul 2004, 04:15

I remember back in the Euro Football championships of 1988 - the great Dutch striker Marco Van Basten was making headlines with his remarkable goal scoring.

A certain commentator reckoned he'd got the pronounciation correct as "Marco fon Boston".

He sounded like a pretentious pratt.

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 09 Jul 2004, 16:41

and, polineikes, dont forget FRAU BLUECHER - iiiiiaaaahhhh :D

of course you could pronounce deighton the german way, but it makes no sense, because there is no g-h-t combination at all in german. the average german can itentify it as anglosaxon and pronounce it the right way.

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 09 Jul 2004, 17:17

maxxx

...dont forget FRAU BLUECHER - iiiiiaaaahhhh.

Oh how could anyone.

Terri Garr's cleavage too!

....there is no g-h-t combination at all in german. the average german can itentify it as anglosaxon and pronounce it the right way.

What about Spieght?

From the German 'phone book:

Speight Benny (0 63 43) 40 95
76889 Kapellen-Drusweiler, Dorfstr. 26

Speight Christopher (0 23 81) 1 33 61
59077 Hamm, Benzstr. 17

Speight E. (0 83 62) 76 28
87629 Füssen, Am Ziegelstadel 6

Speight Jan (05 61) 5 79 81-0
34123 Kassel, Miramstr. 74

Speight Mark (0 52 28) 6 86
32602 Vlotho, Am Mühlenhof 40

Speight Martin (02 51) 66 59 68
48155 Münster, Wolbecker Str. 118

Speight Stephen Dr. (0 46 43) 18 92 90
24395 Stangheck, Dorfstr. 8

http://www.dastelefonbuch.de/NSAPI/Anfrage

walterkaschner
In memoriam

Post by walterkaschner » 09 Jul 2004, 18:31

In English, names containing "ei" take the first letter for pronounciation, in German it's the latter
Dwight D. Eesenhower?

Albert Eensteen?

Anchors awee?

Regards, Kaschner :-)

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 09 Jul 2004, 20:17

walterkaschner

Dwight D. Eesenhower?

German decsent - kept the German pronunciation - unusual in America.

For example:

1. Actor Robert Wagner pronounced his surname with an English "W" as in wagon or wake.
He kept the German spelling & changed the pronunciation.

2. Alternatively Americans keep the pronuciation and change the spelling to make sense to English speakers. The tennis player Chis Evert kept the English "v" - this is a German name and is spelt (in Germany) Ewert.

Albert Eensteen?

He was a German so that's not a fair example.

Anchors awee?

Yes to weigh achor breaks the English rule of "I" before "E" except after "C". It's an exception as is weight, their and neighbour.

ei can be pronounced as AYY - and when it does, the I before E rule is also abandoned. Funny thing English.

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 09 Jul 2004, 20:24

The German admiral Graf Spee (and the ship named after him) is, I believe, pronounced SH-P-AYY.

So St is pronounced SH-T

Sp is pronounced SH-P

Is Sl pronounced SH-L? It seems to be written with the phonetics eg: Schlanker.

Funny thing German.

MacX

Post by MacX » 10 Jul 2004, 14:10

walterkaschner wrote:
In English, names containing "ei" take the first letter for pronounciation, in German it's the latter
Dwight D. Eesenhower?

Albert Eensteen?

Anchors awee?

Regards, Kaschner :-)
Eisenhower (Eisenhauer) is a German name, as well as Einstein, and the last one I don't know :P
Polynikes wrote:The German admiral Graf Spee (and the ship named after him) is, I believe, pronounced SH-P-AYY.

So St is pronounced SH-T

Sp is pronounced SH-P

Is Sl pronounced SH-L? It seems to be written with the phonetics eg: Schlanker.

Funny thing German.
SL keeps SL, besides, I don't know any German names (of German origin) that begins with SL, but "Schlanker" is pronounced Sh-lunker :)

Polynikes wrote:maxxx

Speight Benny (0 63 43) 40 95
76889 Kapellen-Drusweiler, Dorfstr. 26
Well, maybe there are names, that do look like that in German, but it's no normal thing :P
and this one wouldn't ever be spoken look in Englisch, but more like "Sh-Ike-K-T"

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 10 Jul 2004, 16:02

MacX

SL keeps SL, besides, I don't know any German names (of German origin) that begins with SL, but "Schlanker" is pronounced Sh-lunker.

I knew a (British) soldier called Schlanker - naturally he pronounced it SH-L-ANK-ER.

No I can't think of any German name/word beginning SL like sleep. It seems where SL is concerned, the "SH" element of German pronounciation is spelled out:

Schlafen.

Whereas the "SH" element in words beginning ST or SP are not.

Sturm
Sparsam/Sparlich

Interesting that Schlanker is pronounced Schl-U-nker. I didn't know that - is there a reason?

The German who discovered Troy was Schliemann - I assumed that is pronounced SH-L-EE-MAN.

MacX

Post by MacX » 10 Jul 2004, 17:37

Polynikes wrote: Interesting that Schlanker is pronounced Schl-U-nker. I didn't know that - is there a reason?

The German who discovered Troy was Schliemann - I assumed that is pronounced SH-L-EE-MAN.
of course, there is a reason... it's normal German pronounciation :/\
I just wrote Sh-lunker, because in such a constellation the English U is similar to the German A. I could always have written "Sh-lanker" but then, some Englisch-speaking/English-thinking folks would have meant, it is like "Shlenker", you know?

Schliemann, I guess, you pronounced it the right way, but remember:
German "Mann" is not similiar to the pronounciation of the English "man"... It's more like "munn" (in English), like "Sh-Lee-munn" :P
hope I didn't confuse you

btw:
Polynikes wrote: No I can't think of any German name/word beginning SL like sleep. It seems where SL is concerned, the "SH" element of German pronounciation is spelled out
that's because in German there is no letter comparable to the English S, I mean: the German S is the same as the English Z, and for the sound of a "deaf" S, there's the ß or SS, or S, but none of them ever occur at the beginning of a word. there are just words like "Spaß", "Hass", "Gras" and so one. And if we wrote words beginning with SL, it would be like ZL, and now try to speak that :D

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”