SS-Lagerführer Karl Fritsch.

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Vendetta

SS-Lagerführer Karl Fritsch.

Post by Vendetta » 20 Nov 2006, 20:52

Hello. I´m new to this very informative forum and recently went to visit Auschwitz, where you can hear a very interesting and emotional story of S. Maximilian Kolbe.
The SS officer that sent him to die in Block 11 by starvation was K. Fritsch, but I couldn´t get any more information of his biography before and after Auschwitz...
Any biographical data of this Lagerfürer?
Many thanks.

HSSPF Jersey

Post by HSSPF Jersey » 21 Nov 2006, 01:39

Hi Vendetta

Karl Fritzsch, born 10 July 1903 in Nassengrub (today: Mokřiny/Czech Republic), joined the NSDAP (No 261135) & SS (No 7287). Highest SS Rank SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer.

Fritzsch served in Dachau from 1935 until 1940, in Auschwitz 1940-1942 and was Kommandant at Flossenbürg. He was killed in action in May 1945. Fritzsch was well remembered in Auschwitz, having risen to Lagerführer (camp leader) and Rudolph Höss’ Deputy. Fritzsch’s infamous contribution to the holocaust was that during a period when Höss was away from the camp in August or September 1941, Fritzsch saw a new use for a chemical disinfectant, Zyklon B. He experimented on using Zyklon B as a method of extermination on Soviet prisoners of war and when Höss returned to the camp Fritzsch reported the news of the experiments. A new method for the killing of the Jews had been discovered.

I have an interesting document in my collection relating to Fritzsch, see attached (document shown prior to framing). Interesting framed document relating to two SS Camp personnel SS-Obertruppführer Breimaier and SS-Obertruppführer Fritzsch. Document appears to be a promotion request for the two to the rank of SS-Sturmführer and has been sent from SS- Brigadeführer Theodore Eicke in his capacity as Dachau “Lagerkommandant” to SS-Oberabschnitt Süd in Munich. This in turn has been sent onto the office of the Reichsführer-SS (Himmler). The document is dated 20 and 27 March 1934.

Eicke had taken over command of Dachau Concentration camp on 30 June 1933. He had been promoted to SS-Brigadeführer on 30 January 1934 and just over 3 months after the date of this document, Eicke was involved in the Röhm Putsch. On 1 July Eicke and his adjutant, SS-Sturmbannführer Michael Lippert entered Röhm’s cell and shot him. Following this display of loyalty Eicke was appointed ‘Inspector of Concentration Camps’. He was assigned to command all concentration camps and SS guard formations, which formed the SS-Totenkopf-Standarten and in turn the SS-Totenkopfverbände and later SS-Totenkopf-Division. Eicke led the Totenkopf regiments in Poland after the outbreak of war and was officially assigned to command the new SS-Totenkopf-Division. He was killed in Russia on 26 February 1943 when the plane in which he was flying was shot down by enemy fire.

SS-Obertruppfuhrer Wilhelm Breimaier served in Lichtenburg camp after Dachau and during the war years became battalion commander in the 7th SS-Division, attaining the rank of SS-Obersturmbannführer. He was a recipient of the German Cross in Gold.

The Fuhrer of SS-Oberabschnitte Süd during 1934 was SS Gruppenführer Heinrich Schmauser, who became HSSPF “Südost” (the area in which Auschwitz was located), but the document was signed on his behalf by the Staff Officer for SS-Oberabschnitte Süd SS-Sturmbannführer Dr. Eugen Mohr (later SS-Oberführer attached to SS-Oberabschnitte Weichsel). In his position, Dr. Mohr would have had a role in the night of the Long Knives, probably being involved in the arrest and execution of SA Officers. It is telling that he was promoted to SS-Obersturmbannführer on 30 June 1934.

Source of info:

The SS Leadership Corps, Volume 1 A - E, Max Williams
The Camp Men, French Maclean
Allgemeine SS, The Commands, Units and Leaders of the General SS, Mark C Yerger
& special thanks to Max Williams for extra info.

Best regards

Lee
Attachments
D006.JPG
D006.JPG (37.1 KiB) Viewed 7983 times

Vendetta

Post by Vendetta » 21 Nov 2006, 02:27

Thank you Lee for your very complete report. Also congrat for your fine and interesting document.
Do you know where he was killed?
Vendetta

HSSPF Jersey

Post by HSSPF Jersey » 21 Nov 2006, 20:41

Hi Vendetta

I did read that Fritzsch had been transferred to the 18. SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Horst Wessel“, which was destroyed at Hirschberg, Germany in May 1945. This date ties in with Fritzsch's believed date of death, although I have to note that I have no point of reference for this deduction other than other posts on the Forum. There are a couple of good posts on the "Horst Wessel" Division on the Forum if you use the Search function.

Please find attached nice photo of Fritzsch, as posted by member trbooks (original source unknown)

Lee
Attachments
fritzsch.jpg
fritzsch.jpg (38.79 KiB) Viewed 7886 times

Vendetta

Post by Vendetta » 21 Nov 2006, 22:23

Thanks Lee.
Nice photo indeed. I´ll check your reference...
Best wishes,
Vendetta

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 21 Nov 2006, 23:50

The photo is from Bundesarchiv-Lichterfelde and is the usual one.
max.

paolosilv

Re: SS-Lagerführer Karl Fritsch.

Post by paolosilv » 21 Jun 2009, 03:30

So what happened to Fritsch?

He was arrested, and removed from concentration camp duty.

18th SS F Panzer Group Division, Horst Wessel. SS 2nd lt., 7287.

If you have more information, thank you.

paolosilv

Post by paolosilv » 02 Jul 2009, 09:12

I have inquired of "Alan Heath" who does Holocaust based-videos in the UK, and is a great chap. He pointed out some resources on the internet for me. According to two or three of them, Karl Fritzsch should be spelled as such, with a "Z", unless there is another Fritsch referred to here.

Fritzsch was placed at Flossenbürg until Oct. 1943. After that, he was arrested for some impropriety, other than mass murder, and sent to the front.

Karl Fritzsch died , according to Wikipedia, on May 2, 1945 during the Battle for Berlin. Deathcamps.org also puts him there, but without much elaboration.
Last edited by paolosilv on 08 Jul 2009, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Anja

Post by Anja » 07 Jul 2009, 18:07

Lagerführer Fritzsch is a personal research project of mine, and I've obtained copies of a few of his SS files. Records indicate he was at Flossenburg, not Sobibor. He was arrested for "Grund: Totschlag" or "base: murder" and I've never found a site that elaborates on what that charge entailed, but he was an Alter Kämpfer with dagger and honor ring, and had served the SS for many years -- some have speculated that he must have killed another SS to be charged with such a crime. Thoughts?

Anyway, before I get too off topic, here's the files I have for him, courtesy of Stenger Historica:

http://fritzsch.webs.com/file1.jpg
http://fritzsch.webs.com/file2.jpg
http://fritzsch.webs.com/file3.jpg
http://fritzsch.webs.com/file4.jpg

Frankfurter

Post by Frankfurter » 07 Jul 2009, 20:51

Your papers do not say he was arrested, but that the SS-court Nürnberg investigated against him on charges of manslaughter and that the investigation was closed on 10.10.1943 (apparently without penalty). The front command happened a year later.

Interesting: his profession is given as roofer, while on another paper its written he worked as a sailor on the river Danube for 12 years.

The judgement of Fritzsch by the Flossenbürg commander is not very enthusiastic at all. He is only "pleased" with his performance, and writes that while he is energetic, the commander complains that F. tends to break the rules, means he does not obey orders the way they were meant, going too far regularly. As this was written shortly after the manslaughter investigation I suspect that he killed someone there (likely an inmate) he was not authorized too. He also seems to have had a limited education/knowledge he tried to overcome.

paolosilv

Post by paolosilv » 08 Jul 2009, 11:49

I stand corrected then. I think I meant to post "Auschwitz," and then forgot about the comment.

I don't know much about Fritzsch, and neither it seems does anyone else I've asked. Hence, I was intrigued. Höss mentions that it was Fritzsch who discovered the method of using Zyklon B to kill prisoners at Auschwitz.

He was probably investigated by a "Dr. Konrad Morgen", who also has an interesting biography. He went out to visit some of these camps to investigate the SS men accused of crimes like pilfering and excessive cruelty, and he was genuinely shocked to learn of the mass murder of the prisoners. He had been kept entirely in the dark. Other than that, all I know is that he survived the war and testified for the allies I believe at the Dachau trials.

Karl Fritzsch was at Flossenbürg Camp. Fritzsch was arrested, and then Max Koegel took his place. Fritzsch : Auschwitz to Flossenbürg 15 Jan 1942, Sub-Commandant, 8 to 10/42. Oct 43, Arrested and then sent to the front.

karl1961

Post by karl1961 » 20 Nov 2011, 00:34

hello,
I know this is an older posting but i have a new document i have recovered that im pretty sure is talking about Fritzsche and his behavior, written and signed by SS-Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein of the 8. SS-Kav.-Division "Florian Geyer" -Div.Kommandeur. as you know this is Eva Braun's sisters Husband who was shot by the SS for trying to leave the Bunker with some of Eva's jewals and cash, ect.. you know,.,.
So this is my question, above a poster says he has some history on this man and i cant see the photos he posted or anymore info?? so i hope you guys can help hook me up with him or? I dont want to post the Doc yet atleast til I get more info and verify this is him. but having a rare signature from Hermann Fegelein is cool enough right now. also I'm in the process of translating it, it's short but havent had time as i just got it last night. thanks with any help...

karl1961

Re: SS Lagerführer Karl Fritsch.

Post by karl1961 » 20 Nov 2011, 02:16

well i think it might be another one named like him? this guy i have has a date next to his name and i think it's his birth date? it's 27.10.09 and next to it is Kav.Rgt.16.... doing some searching he might have something to do with trains?? but from what I gather it's a letter talking about how his standing is with in the nazi party and he's a good person, so guess it cant be this guy?? sorry for the posting.. but if anyone has info on my guy please let me know.. thanks karl..

7point62X54R

Post by 7point62X54R » 22 Aug 2012, 22:52

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm very curious and I haven't been able to find the answer to my question anywhere else. Several places state that he had children. Does anyone know their names?

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 30 Aug 2017, 11:41

It´s pretty strange, but I found an MIA of the 22.SS-Div the Name is Karl Fritsch but there all resemblance dissapear, but the face is very much the same one posted before.

The rank of the one MIA is Stubaf and born in 1908

//Georg
Attachments
Karl Fritsche.png
Karl Fritsche.png (112.95 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
"Information not shared, is lost"

Personal Blog - http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/
Support AHF - app.php/support
My Project - www.führerliste.com

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”