SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer Promotion

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
coburg22

SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer Promotion

Post by coburg22 » 31 Dec 2006, 05:51

Hello,

My question is why was there not a SS-Obergruppenführer of the Allgemeine-SS promoted to SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer? I know of the four promotions to this rank for Kurt Daluege of the Ordnungspolizei, Franz Xaver Schwarz who was a Honorary SS Leader, Paul Hausser and Sepp Dietrich of the Waffen-SS . Even though Kurt
Daluege was Allgemeine-SS, his duties and responsibilities fell more towards the Orpo. Why was not someone like Heydrich with his command of the very large RSHA accorded this honor? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Coburg22

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 31 Dec 2006, 07:04

Hello coburg22,

This previous thread might be of interest to you:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=65977

I can only imagine that one reason why Heydrich was not promoted to the rank of Oberst-Gruppenführer by Himmler was that he might have been more of a threat to the Reichsführer-SS in Himmler's eyes.

Even Dr. Ernst Kaltenbrunner didn't achieve this rank when he became head of the RSHA in January 1943.

Best regards.

Moviecollector

Post by Moviecollector » 31 Dec 2006, 07:49

Hi Jack,

There is one more but it is questionable. Karl Wolff after the had Oberst-Gruppenführer tabs in one or two pic's and if I believe right it's on his headstone. Maybe someone with more know might be able to help with this. Just my two cent$.

Best Regards,

Mc/ John H.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 31 Dec 2006, 08:07

Moviecollector wrote:Hi Jack,

There is one more but it is questionable. Karl Wolff after the had Oberst-Gruppenführer tabs in one or two pic's and if I believe right it's on his headstone. Maybe someone with more know might be able to help with this. Just my two cent$.

Best Regards,

Mc/ John H.
Karl Wolff and Hans-Adolf Prützmann both claimed to have been promoted to the ranks of Oberst-Gruppenführer on 20th April 1945 but neither could prove this with documentation. Perhaps the promotions were not made official as Germany was in total chaos in the closing days of the war.

Mike Miller notes in an early AHF thread that Karl Wolff continued to sign photos identifying himself as "Generaloberst der Waffen-SS a.D." until the time of his death.

The photographs you have seen of Karl Wolff wearing Oberst-Gruppenführer tabs could have been doctored. This happened also with photographs of Hausser and Sepp Dietrich (it's in the link to thread I provided earlier)

Best regards.

coburg22

Post by coburg22 » 31 Dec 2006, 08:21

Potsdammerplatz and John,

Thank you both for your replies and to potsdammerplatz for the website. I to have seen a photo from Wolff in a book where he signed it Generaloberst a.D. and that always made me wonder. I can see why he could have been promoted to this rank taking his position of authority into account but like you said, it lacks documentation. Heydrich of course could be viewed as a threat but it still leaves the question unanswered as to why there were no Allgemeine SS promotions to this rank for a full time SS Officer? I
will try to look for such a document when I visit the National Archives next year, that's if it even exists.

Coburg22

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 31 Dec 2006, 12:05

It depends on how you define 'Allgemeine SS' all those promoted were members of rhe Allgemeine SS and in Sepp Dietrich's case he had a career in the Allgemeine SS as well as the Waffen SS being the commander of Oberabschnitt Ost/Spree until the end.
Otherwise most non ehrenführer also held rank in other segments of the SS
Phil Nix

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 31 Dec 2006, 14:12

In post-war interviews Karl Wolff gave his rank as General, not Generaloberst and his gravestone has General a.D. All the authentic signed post-war photos I have seen of Wolff have his rank of General a.D. He also wears the epaulettes of a General in the court at Nuremberg where he gave evidence as a witness.
Max.

coburg22

Post by coburg22 » 31 Dec 2006, 18:07

Phil and Max,

Thank you for your replies and clearing up this matter. Do you by chance know why
the promotion was only granted to four officers and not more? Did Himmler need Hit-
ler's approval to bestow such a high rank? Thank you in advance for any replies.

Coburg22

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 31 Dec 2006, 20:41

Only Hitler could appoint officers in General rank (SS-Brigadeführer and above.)
Max.

coburg22

Post by coburg22 » 01 Jan 2007, 00:53

Max,

Thank you for that piece of information. I was unaware of Hitler's approval being
needed.

Coburg22

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”