SS-Stubaf. Christian Wirth; bio-details

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Eddy Marz

SS-Stubaf. Christian Wirth; bio-details

Post by Eddy Marz » 15 Mar 2007, 20:53

Bio-details Stubaf. Christian Wirth :
Michael Tregenza is an English historian who has spent much of the last forty years in Poland, including Lublin, from where he has researched the life of Stubaf. Christian Wirth. After impressive fieldwork in Poland, Germany, and other countries, Michael has probably become the world expert on Wirth. Although his studies are in polish and not edited out of Poland, he gave a series of conferences and I was in touch with him by mail about a year ago. Michael Tregenza interviewed both sons of Christian Wirth, and even lived for some days in the home of Wirth’s youngest and favourite son. Even though Wirth’s life can only be described as ‘monstrous’ (one has only to read the testimonies of his subordinates, including Stangl who hated and feared him), Tregenza gives a fascinating and humanizing account of it.

Trained in early life as a carpenter, Wirth is believed to have had little relationship with his parents. His mother was pregnant with him when his parents were married and perhaps he was an unwanted and unloved baby. Although a physically imposing, strong-looking man, he suffered from asthma all his life. Tregenza believes that this was a significant factor in his development. Wirth rejected his eldest son, who in appearance is much like him, preferring the younger, physically weaker son. So, even Wirth was capable of love.

Regarding Wirth’s death in 1944, Michael wrote and told me that while in Slovenia, he found the handwritten war diary of the Yugoslav partisan leader who organized and carried out Wirth’s assassination.

For anyone reading polish, articles from Tregenza’s essential but still uncompleted study (over 300 pages) are available in Lublin :
- “Christian Wirth a pierwsze fasza Akcji Reinhardt” in “Zeszyty Majdanka” Vol. 14 – Pantwowe Muzeum na Majdanka, Lublin 1992.
- “Christian Wirth: Inspekteur der SS-Sonderkommandos Aktion Reinhardt”, in “Zeszyty Majdanka” Vol. 15 - Pantwowe Muzeum na Majdanka, Lublin 1993.

Eddy
8-)

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 15 Mar 2007, 23:23

Eddy,
Thank you for this. Many scholars of Third Reich history, and in particular SS history, are aware of Michael Tregenza's expertise in Aktion Reinhardt personnel. Poprzeczny utilised his knowledge in his biography of Globocnik. The sad thing is that Michael has decided to only publish his studies in Poland, his chosen place of residence.
Max.

Eddy Marz

Post by Eddy Marz » 16 Mar 2007, 09:35

Hi Max;
Thanks for your kind message. Yes, a great pity. Michael proposed to translate the book for me, but the price he demanded was a little too steep. However, he did forward quite a few details. I was also in touch with Robin O'Neil, another Aktion Reinhardt expert, and he was able to tie many loose ends for me as he had previously been in touch with Tregenza for quite a while. Maybe those books will be translated and circulated some day, as most info concerning AR personnel (and AR in general) is still obscure and open to debate.
Eddy

Pejeal

Re: SS-Stubaf. Christian Wirth; bio-details

Post by Pejeal » 03 Oct 2011, 00:42

Many people were waiting for the book by Tregenza on Christian Wirth. Tregenza does not use email, it is difficult to contact. Robin O'Neill has his address in Lublin.

The book won't be published.

[I'm sorry, but your post has been edited based on the inclusion of a personal and potentially libelous allegation / Mike Miller, Moderator]

Pejeal

Post by Pejeal » 03 Oct 2011, 17:24

No problem Mike, I understand, thanks for the answer, no need to be sorry. I was trying to bring certain finality to the issue.

An account of Christian Wirth would finally round up the events of Aktion Reinhard. My source for that bold statement stem from a survivor to the Sobibor revolt. As Franz Suchomel stated, that without Wirth the whole system would have collapsed.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 04 Oct 2011, 11:23

That's too bad. A biography book in English on this man is most needed. I first heard about the Tregenza book in the "The Architect of Genocide" where author Richard Breitman gives him a nod and says his work was "forthcoming". I kept checking up on it and nothing ever came about it except in Polish as this thread suggests.
Wirth is a murky figure and not well known by the lay reader. He is referenced in many secondary books having to do with the Nazi euthanasia program (Operation T-4) but his unique role in the "Operation Reinhard" era of the axis of extermination camps,Treblinka-Sobibor-Maidenek, needs to be better disclosed. Not much in English is known about him. What little is said of him is that he was an absolutely evil and inhuman monster. Stangl's descriptions of him in conversations with Gitta Sereny leave one to believe that this man was simply not human at all...a devil in human form.
He drove people into the gas chambers with his whips, he farcically attended a Jewish wedding, he spoke to people in the crudest of language ("get rid of this trash" - of the incurably insane). Not certain what is fact and fiction...I'm certain he was cruel yet there is much myth surrounding this figure. He was human like the rest of us and truthful biographical information is definately lacking.

pjoseph

Post by pjoseph » 02 Apr 2012, 04:59

- “Christian Wirth a pierwsze fasza Akcji Reinhardt” in “Zeszyty Majdanka” Vol. 14 – Pantwowe Muzeum na Majdanka, Lublin 1992.
- “Christian Wirth: Inspekteur der SS-Sonderkommandos Aktion Reinhardt”, in “Zeszyty Majdanka” Vol. 15 - Pantwowe Muzeum na Majdanka, Lublin 1993.

I have managed to obtain copies of the two articles above. As is to be expected, they are both in Polish.

Would anyone know if they have been translated into English? If not, could anyone recommend someone who would be willing to translate it? I will try to organize funds to pay for it if the translation costs are reasonable.

steve248

Post by steve248 » 02 Apr 2012, 11:53

Mike Tregenza I know well, and frequently talk on the phone with him.

The problem he has is finding a publisher for his work ob Christian Wirth in English. Plans to publish with USHMM fell through sometime ago.

Apart from material in Polish, he has also had his work translated into Italian and French where publication has taken place.

pjoseph

Post by pjoseph » 06 Apr 2012, 14:28

Steve,
Thank you for your reply.

Do you know if he would mind if I had his work translated? Would he be willing to do it himself? I know a few people here and maybe we can organize the funds he would require for the time he has to spend to translate it?

brgds
Paul

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 06 Apr 2012, 14:35

The problems for prospective publishers are that the manuscript needs to be in English, but most importantly, Wirth is too specialized a subject to make it worth their while financially. Outside the circle of those interested in personalities involved in Aktion Reinhard, the book would not create a great number of sales. Nearly all specialized subjects such as this lose money.
Max.

pjoseph

Post by pjoseph » 06 Apr 2012, 15:00

Also Steve,

Can you ask him to consider selfl publishing on Amazon or Apple or any one of a number of sites? They offer options that cover the entire spectrum, from where the author does everything to where the self-publishing company does all (I think) of it.

best
Paul

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 26 Jul 2012, 13:27

Steve is there any new info regarding an english translation at this stage? We should get some sort of pettion going as I believe at 300 pages Mike's work would be a truly comprehensive account of the Inspector of SS-Sonderkommandos Action Reinhard, I waould certainly pay for a translation. :)

Also Eddy, was he willing to do it for certain indiviual for a certain price etc?

Thank you Gentlemen.

Regards
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 26 Jul 2012, 17:29

I know that I'd pay £50 to have that work in English, you can quote me on that. Could a number of us together achieve the correct price ?

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 26 Jul 2012, 17:34

Seconded Peter :) I am wondering how much he asked from Eddy, I would be interested in this work as without sounding weird I find the Action Reinhard operation a very interesting part of history.

Regards
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

steve248

Post by steve248 » 26 Jul 2012, 18:35

Most of you have inferred that Tregenza is writing in a language other than English.
This is not correct.
Tregenza is English and writes in English.
The fact that he lives in Poland is neither her nor there.
The problem he has is finding what he considers a suitable publisher for his work.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”