Prof. Dr. med. Carl Clauberg

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Max Williams

Prof. Dr. med. Carl Clauberg

Post by Max Williams » 27 Mar 2007, 17:34

In the thread http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... rg&start=0 All Seeing Eye posted a document signed by Rudolf Brandt which identified Klauberg (sic) as a SS-Brigadeführer. I realise that his name does not appear in any SS-DAL and especially 1942 (the year of the document in question.) I am also aware that he has no SS file. However, the signature on the document appears to be an authentic Brandt and although the surname of Clauberg is misspelled with a 'K', I think this deserves further discussion as I believe the question is unresolved.
The document subject matter is concerning sterilisation, which was Clauberg's speciality in Auschwitz. We can therefore be almost certain that Brandt is referring to the Clauberg. After all, how many Professor Dr. Clauberg's were there involved in this subject?
I can understand that Brandt misspelled his surname...a common mistake...but to refer to him as SS-Brigadeführer? Brandt was a very efficient referat and I cannot understand why he referred to him with a SS General rank if he was not even a member of the SS.
All SS General ranks were personally authorised by Hitler. Is it possible that Himmler appointed Clauberg as a SS-Brigadeführer, but Hitler subsequently refused the appointment because of the secret nature of his work or for another unknown reason?
Who knows? However, this subject is one that will continue unless further hard evidence comes to light.
What do you think?
Max.
Attachments
Besprechungsprotokoll.jpg
Besprechungsprotokoll.jpg (107.81 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
Clauberg.jpg
Clauberg.jpg (47.2 KiB) Viewed 2515 times

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 27 Mar 2007, 17:46

Attachments
Clauberg Prof. Dr.jpg
Clauberg Prof. Dr.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 27 Mar 2007, 19:01

Max~

Excellent post examining this issue, and your hypothesis makes perfect sense. I hope we'll have this age-old question answered some day, and your post is a great start toward that goal. Very nice photos, too!

Many thanks for this and all your other contributions to the forum.

Sincerely,
~ Mike

Andreas Schulz

Post by Andreas Schulz » 27 Mar 2007, 19:35

I think the "SS-Brigadeführer" is only a mistake by Rudolf Brandt.

AnDie
Last edited by Andreas Schulz on 27 Mar 2007, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 27 Mar 2007, 19:48

I think you mean Rudolf Brandt, Andreas.

~ Mike

Greyfinn

Post by Greyfinn » 27 Mar 2007, 21:38

HI,
I know this letter and it was a question for me:
How Rudolf Brandt could make such big mistake ????
He was known as a perfectionist and his memory to facts and details was very famous.....
...but there is any proof to say Clauberg was SS-Brigadeführer in fact.....VERY interesting thread - thanks Max
Yours G

Andreas Schulz

Post by Andreas Schulz » 27 Mar 2007, 21:41

Sorry, that was my mistake.
AnDie

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 27 Mar 2007, 21:47

Andreas Schulz wrote:I think the "SS-Brigadeführer" is only a mistake by Rudolf Brandt.

AnDie
Andreas,
How could he make such a large error? That is the question. Brandt was well known for his fastidiousness. Referring to a non-SS member as a SS General? What gave him the idea? I think there's more to it than just a mistake by the personal assistant of the RFSS. Surely, in his position, he would know who were SS Generals and who weren't?
Max.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 27 Mar 2007, 21:51

I think you are correct, Max, that he was likely being considered for admission to the SS at the rank of SS-Brigadeführer, and that this was seen as a near-certainty by Rudi Brandt, but that for some reason- perhaps as you speculate Hitler's personal quashing of the idea- it never occurred.

For an earlier discussion of the same matter (including the odd Rudi Brandt letter), see http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... t=clauberg .

~ Mike

Andreas Schulz

Post by Andreas Schulz » 27 Mar 2007, 22:41

Max Williams wrote:
Andreas Schulz wrote:I think the "SS-Brigadeführer" is only a mistake by Rudolf Brandt.

AnDie
Andreas,
How could he make such a large error? That is the question. Brandt was well known for his fastidiousness. Referring to a non-SS member as a SS General? What gave him the idea? I think there's more to it than just a mistake by the personal assistant of the RFSS. Surely, in his position, he would know who were SS Generals and who weren't?
Max.
Also Brandt was only a human. And humans make errors. We all make errors.

AnDie

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 27 Mar 2007, 23:14

That's true, too. In my day job, I've been doing the same reports for six years now and still find myself making stupid errors. Or even more on-topic, I've been studying the SS and Police since before the inauguration of Ronald Reagan and still managed to make some outrageous mistakes in my book (poetic justice after years of arrogantly noting the errors in other peoples' books).

It's possible that Brandt, overwhelmed as he was with reams and reams of paperwork every day, could have just had Brigadeführers on the brain and gave Clauberg that rank- thus confounding all of us some 65 years later.

~ Mike

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 28 Mar 2007, 08:40

Yes, I accept that, but it is the easy option. I can understand it if Clauberg was a SS officer and Brandt got his rank wrong, but to make him a SS officer and also give him General rank, not once, but twice......? Plus, he didn't give Prof. Dr. Hohlfelder SS rank in the same document. I assume Brandt would also have access to Himmler's private diary for the meeting in question, possibly making the entry himself. Wouldn't Clauberg be noted in that also? In Himmler's service diary, a meeting with Gebhardt is noted at 1300hrs on 7 July 1942. No mention of Glücks or Clauberg.
In this case I think there's more to it than meets the eye. A simple case of error? Possible, but the more you look into it, the more unlikely.
Max.

thaeberling

Post by thaeberling » 28 Mar 2007, 09:13

Dear all

It seems that Brandt made two mistakes: not only the rank, but also the writing of the name: he writes Klauberg with an K and not with a C. What is correct.???

Greetings

thomas

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 28 Mar 2007, 09:48

thaeberling wrote:Dear all

It seems that Brandt made two mistakes: not only the rank, but also the writing of the name: he writes Klauberg with an K and not with a C. What is correct.???

Greetings

thomas
Please read the first entry.
Max.

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 28 Mar 2007, 11:03

I suppose by what criteria does one decide who is a member of the SS and who is not. To my mind a member must have an SS Personal file and for senior officers they must appear in the Ranklists. So if this man does not meet the criteria he was not accepted into the SS irrespective of what Himmlers secretary wrote. Possibly the intention was that he would be admitted but the final decision was that he was not accepted.Maybe Himmler accepted him but Hitler refused to sanction the entry
Phil Nix

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”