SS-Ostuf / SS-Stubaf (?) Eipel

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Georg_S
Forum Staff

SS-Ostuf / SS-Stubaf (?) Eipel

Post by Georg_S » 05 Nov 2007, 09:26

thread from HWC Forum:

I wonder if someone can give me info if the W Eipel also the one who earlier served by SS-Geb.Div "Nord" and if so, can someone give the info when SS-Ostuf Eipel served by a SS-Totenkopf standarte. I have a photo of SS-Stubaf v. Steuben, SS-Ostuf Eipel and SS-Hstuf Georg Ahlemann, when they travelled by boat with SS-T.-St.6 to Norway. 1940/41 (Unsure about the exact date).

Best reg.

Georg

Ps. I also found a photo of Eipel on a other Forum from our forummember G Lepre´s book about the 13.SS-Geb.Div. "Handschar" I hope it´s OK to post it here.

George Lepre wrote:

Thirty-eight German members of the SS Handschar Division were extradited to Yugoslavia after the war. They were tried in Belgrade from 22-30 August 1947. I have published some research on that division and interviewed a number of these men or their families. One of them, Alfred Schrader, is on your list. He was living in or near Berlin in the early 1990s but was blind.

One of the men told me that of the thirty-eight, only ten were charged with specific offenses. Another officer, Otto Kruse, was supposed to be extradited but Kruse swallowed a spoon (!) before the British could hand him over. He was rushed to a British military hospital and avoided extradition. Undaunted, the Yugoslav officer in charge of the extradition simply selected another captive Handschar officer, Robert Ehlers, and sent him in Kruse's place!

At trial, all of the men were found guilty. Ten were executed:

R. Baumeister
W. Eipel
K. Luetkemueller
B. Luetjens
H. Masannek
J. Paelmke
W. Schmidt
W. Schreer
E. Schwerin
K. Weber

The others received long prison terms. One man, Wilhelm Mahn, died in captivity, but from what the others told me, it does not seem like he died from an type of mistreatment; they said that Mahn had lost a son in the war and had simply given up on life. All of the men were released by 1953.

There was also the case of Halim Malkoc, a Handschar imam. He was sentenced to death in Bihac for his role in quelling a mutiny in SS-Geb.Pi.Btl. 13 in France. He was found guilty and executed on 7 March 1947.

I know of one Prinz Eugen officer who was executed in Yugoslavia after the war, Jochen Krah.

I hope this information is helpful!

Best regards,

George Lepre
Attachments
Walter Eipel.jpg
Walter Eipel.jpg (16.75 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 07 Nov 2007, 11:27

To ad to the question:

Does anyone known the charges against Eipel and others from this trial.
I have today found out that this Eipel was the man I was looking for, so if someone knows his prewar
duties (most likely in a SS-T.-Standarte) I would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance,

Georg

waffen-IDF

Obersturmfuhrer Heinz Masannek

Post by waffen-IDF » 14 Aug 2009, 08:36

Osf d.res:9.11.44 7.SS-Frw.Geb.Div
SS Nr:470319

Mikedc

Heinz Masannek

Post by Mikedc » 16 Aug 2009, 22:06

Hello Waffen-IDF,

When should he have served with 7. SS-Division you think??
I only know about his service with 13. Waffen-Division......

Mike

freddiefro

Re: SS-Ostuf / SS-Stubaf (?) Eipel

Post by freddiefro » 16 Aug 2009, 23:01

Mike,

I also have him Heinz Masannek (470 319) with 13.Waffen-Geb.Div."Handschar" (first b.12./Geb.JR.28 in 11.1943 and again as Fhr.I./Geb.JR.28 in 1945). However, the 09.11.1944 SS-Personalveranderungsblatt does show him as being attached to 7.SS-Frw.Geb.Div."Prinz Eugen" at the time of his promotion to SS-Ostuf.d.R. (you'll find the complete 09.11.1944 SS-Personalveranderungsblatt here, courtesy of John P. Moore: http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic ... 42&t=30941).

- Fred

waffen-IDF

Sturmbannfuhrer Walter Eipel

Post by waffen-IDF » 07 Feb 2010, 05:30

B: Berlin

Sbf d.res:21.6.44 13.Waffen-Geb.Div

SS:254629

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”