SS-Obersturmbannführer Emil Zollhöfer or Zöllhofer

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Giorgio

Post by Giorgio » 20 Dec 2007, 11:29

Hello,
which is the true family name of
SS-Obersturmbannführer Emil Zöllhofer
(see: ttp://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=70878)
or
SS-Obersturmbannführer Emil Zollhöfer ?
(see: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... ollh%F6fer).
Thanks.
Any more info would be appreciate.
Giorgio

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 20 Dec 2007, 12:55

As far as I know the correct spelling is Zollhöfer.

This is what I've scraped together about him so far...
Emil Zollhöfer.
Member SS(nr. ??).
Followed an officerscourse at one of the SS-Junkerschulen and got promoted to SS-Untersturmführer.
Before WW-2 he served with the SS-VT.
SS-Hauptsturmführer.
Between May and August 1940(he succeeded Holzapfel)commander from
the 9. Kompanie with III. Bataillon from the SS-Totenkopf-Infanterie-Regiment 2 within the SS-Totenkopf-Division.
SS-Sturmbannführer.
In 1942 he served with SS-Totenkopf-Infanterie-Regiment 1.
On 30-7-1942 he received the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold(DkiG).
He got promoted to SS-Obersturmbannführer on 9-11-1943.
In the summer of 1944 he was commander from SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment ‘H’(remains from the ‘Hohenstaufen Division’ that were pulled together to one single regiment after their retreat from Normandy).

Greetings,
Mike

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio » 20 Dec 2007, 13:14

Hello Mikedc,
Thank you very much.
Giorgio

TH Albright

Post by TH Albright » 20 Dec 2007, 15:44

A little more on his pre-war service.....Emil Zollhöfer served as an enlisted man in the SS-VT 1934-35, served with SS-TV Ostfriesland 1935-36, attended, then graduated from SS-Junkerschulen Bad Tölz 1938 after which he was posted to to SS-TV Brandenberg 1939-39. He was amongst those SS-TV officers chosen as a cadre for the SS-Totenkopfdivision in October 1939.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio » 20 Dec 2007, 16:43

Hello TL Albright , thank you too.
Better and better....
After Mikedc's reply I had been looking in the web for SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment ‘H’ and I found this website: http://www.chakoten.dk/pzgrenregh.html (Tyske pansergrenaderer -SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment "H") but I cannot understand the language (Danish ?, Norwegian? or ?). Can anyone traslate into English?
Greetings
Giorgio

panzerschreck

Post by panzerschreck » 20 Dec 2007, 19:17

Hello!

It's in Danish.

Quick translation of the important parts:
//
[...]
When the division is transferred from the eastern front to France, the two regiments are at full strength. After a month's hard fighting in Normandy (from 29 June 1944) the infantry losses have become so great that a reorganization is needed.

On 23 July 1944 SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment "H" is formed, consisting of three battalions (created from five battalions), while the armoured III./Regiment 20 together with the remnants of SS-Panzer-Regiment 9 are used to create the battle group "Gepanzerte Gruppe Meyer" (named after Otto Meyer). The 33 year old Emil Zollhöfer, former commander of SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 19, becomes commander of Regiment "H".

Regiment "H" is organized like this:
1. Battalion (with 1., 2. og 3. company and 4. (heavy) company.
2. Battalion (with 5., 6. og 7. company and 8. (heavy) company
3. Battalion (with 9., 10. og 11. company and 12. (heavy) company
and
13. Kompagni - tunge infanterikanoner (12 stk. 15 cm infanterikanon) > heavy infantry guns
14. Kompagni - tunge morterer (12 stk. 12 cm morter) > heavy mortars
15. Kompagni - luftværn (12 stk. 2 cm luftværnskanon) > FLAK
16. Kompagni - ingeniører (delvist i pansrede køretøjer) > Pioneers with some armoured elements
17. Kompagni - stabskompagni (signaldeling, motorcyklistdeling, pansret infanterideling) > staff company

The infantry companies are at 60-70% of normal strength, while the special companies are mainly at normal strength.
//
The rest of the text is about war games.

/Henrik

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio » 20 Dec 2007, 20:57

Great panzerschreck ! Thank you very much for this favour!
Giorgio

Giorgio

SS-Obersturmbannführer Emil Zollhöfer

Post by Giorgio » 03 Jan 2008, 14:08

Well, this is the file I could draw up thanks to your infos:
SS-Obersturmbannführer Emil Zollhöfer
Born: 20 September 1911.
Died: 20 August 1984.
NSDAP-N°: ?
SS-N°: 28.501.
Promotions
SS-Hauptsturmführer: ? 1938.
SS-Sturmbannführer: 30 July 1942.
SS-Obersturmbannführer: 09 November 1943.
Assignments
Served with the pre-war SS-Totenkopf Verbände after his initial service with the SS-VT as an enlisted man in:
SS-TV Ostfriesland: 1935-1936.
Graduated SS-Junkerschule Bad Tölz: 1938, then returned to the SS-TV.
SS-TV Brandenburg: 1938-39 (as an Officer).
He was amongst those SS-TV officers chosen as a cadre for the SS-Totenkopf Division in October 1939.

SS-Hauptsturmführer & Chef 9 (?).Kompanie /III.Bataillon/Totenkopf-Infanterie-Regiment 2/SS-Totenkopf-Division: May-August 1940, succeeding SS-Obersturmführer Holzapfel.

According to Ullrich (Wie ein Fels im Meer, p.202) he replaced Deisenhofer as the commander of I.Bataillon/Totenkopf-Infanterie-Regiment 1 from 07 May 1942.

SS-Sturmbannführer & Commander III.Bataillon/SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 19/9.SS-Panzer-Division “Hohenstaufen”: 1943-30 June 1944.

SS-Obersturmbannführer & Commander SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment “H” /9.SS-Panzer-Division “Hohenstaufen”: 30 June 1944-early January 1945. (http://www.feldgrau.net) and (Lexikon der Wehrmacht). In the summer of 1944 he was commander from SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment ‘H’ (survivors from the ‘Hohenstaufen Division’ that were pulled together to one single regiment after their retreat from Normandy).

SS-Obersturmbannführer & Commander SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 21(?)/ 10.SS-Division “Frundsberg”: 05 February-08 May 1945. (http://www.feldgrau.net)

Anyone knows where and when did he serve in 1941-1942 and in 1942-1943 ?
Thanks in advance.
Giorgio

TH Albright

Post by TH Albright » 03 Jan 2008, 19:54

Hi Giorgio, my records from NARA II have him serving in the Totenkopfdivision into 1942, then transferring that year to Totenkopf Infanterie Ersatz Battalion I where he served until joining the newly formed "Hohenstauffen" in June 1943

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio » 09 Jan 2008, 18:50

TH Albright wrote:Hi Giorgio, my records from NARA II have him serving in the Totenkopfdivision into 1942, then transferring that year to Totenkopf Infanterie Ersatz Battalion I where he served until joining the newly formed "Hohenstauffen" in June 1943
Hi Albright,
can you specify the date of the transfer from TK Division to TK Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon as well as the assignment to the "Hohenstaufen"? For Zollhöfer died in 1984, I wonder why it's so difficult to have an accurate info about his SS service! Was he prosecuted in the postwar period?
Giorgio

TH Albright

Post by TH Albright » 09 Jan 2008, 19:48

I don't have the specific dates of transfer, just the year...when I constructed my database, I didn't feel the need to have the day and month of each transfer. just the year....as far as post-war prosecution goes, I don't think there was any for him; he was never associated with any war crimes in the west while with "Hohenstaufen" or "Frundsberg" and his service with the pre-war SS-TV was not grounds for prosecution by the West German authorities...the only comparable case, Konrad Schellong vs. US DOJ, that I can think of where a member of the SS-TV was held accountable for membership in that organization, was when Schellong was deported from the US having lied about his membership in the SS. to INS when he lived her in the early 1980's..although his service with SS-TV Sachsen and Oberbayern was noted, it was the lie (isn't always!) and not the actual deeds. That being said men like Schellong and Zollhofer really were, literally and figuratively, on the perimater of the camp system. They served in the guard units, not the camp staff, and most likely had little actual connection with day-to-day atrocities in the pre-war camps. But they obviously were part and parcel of the entire machinery of oppression and knew and at least approved of what transpired in these places. Under Eicke's tutelage, these men were part of the SS-TV officer cadres whoich recieved the most virulent and crude ideological indoctrination in the entire SS.

TH Albright

Post by TH Albright » 09 Jan 2008, 19:49

TH Albright wrote:I don't have the specific dates of transfer, just the year...when I constructed my database, I didn't feel the need to have the day and month of each transfer. just the year....as far as post-war prosecution goes, I don't think there was any for him; he was never associated with any war crimes in the west while with "Hohenstaufen" or "Frundsberg" and his service with the pre-war SS-TV was not grounds for prosecution by the West German authorities...the only comparable case, Konrad Schellong vs. US DOJ, that I can think of where a member of the SS-TV was held accountable for membership in that organization, was when Schellong was deported from the US having lied about his membership in the SS to INS when he lived her in the early 1980's..although his service with SS-TV Sachsen and Oberbayern was noted, it was the lie (isn't always!) and not the actual deeds. That being said men like Schellong and Zollhofer really were, literally and figuratively, on the perimater of the camp system. They served in the guard units, not the camp staff, and most likely had little actual connection with day-to-day atrocities in the pre-war camps. But they obviously were part and parcel of the entire machinery of oppression and knew and at least approved of what transpired in these places. Under Eicke's tutelage, these men were part of the SS-TV officer cadres whoich recieved the most virulent and crude ideological indoctrination in the entire SS.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio » 19 Jan 2008, 13:49

Hi TH,
thank you for posting this interesting reply.
Giorgio.

Pena V

Re: SS-Obersturmbannführer Emil Zollhöfer or Zöllhofer[

Post by Pena V » 03 Jan 2009, 18:56

It seems that I'm specializing in old threds. This time I "woke up" when I read Panzerschrek's good description on SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment "H" and Gepanzerte Gruppe "Mayer". "H" was created from five bataillons (probably I/19, II/19, III/19, I/20 and II/20) and "Mayer" from III/20 and SS-Panzer-Regiment 9. The CO of "H" was Obersturmbannführer Emil Zollhöfer 23 Jul 1944 - Jan 1945 and the CO of "Meyer" was Obersturmbannführer Otto Meyer 23 Jul 1944 - 29 Aug 1944. So far so good. My question is what was Obersturmbannführer Fritz Geiger commanding 23 Jul 1944 - Feb 1945 as the CO of Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 19?

Pena V

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Re: SS-Obersturmbannführer Emil Zollhöfer or Zöllhofer[

Post by Georg_S » 08 Oct 2009, 18:51

Hello Gents,

Something is wrong in the dates about the Service of Emil Zollhöfer, when I looked through the
SS-Dienstalterliste of 1937 it´s listed that he went to SS-Junkerschule Tölz in 1935 and not
1938 as some of you mentioned.

I ad the line from the SS-DAL so you can see.

Best reg.
Georg
Attachments
Zollhöfer SS-DAL 37.jpg
Zollhöfer SS-DAL 37.jpg (8.2 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”