SS Fugitive Camp In Italy

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Haifisch

SS Fugitive Camp In Italy

Post by Haifisch » 22 Sep 2008, 04:09

Does anyone have any detailed information on the camp set up in 1932 by Mussolini for exiled German and Austrian SS fugitives ?

As an ally of Hitler he agreed to host SS fugitives in a camp on Lake Garda in Malcesine in northern Italy.

Additionally does anyone have any photos of this camp ?

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Re: SS Fugitive Camp In Italy

Post by Michael Miller » 22 Sep 2008, 19:02

Just a few details on the man placed in charge of that camp (Theodor Eicke); Info. from Andreas Schulz/Dieter Zinke, Die Generale der Waffen-SS und der Polizei, Band I and Charles Sydnor, Soldiers of Destruction, as used in my book Leaders of the SS & German Police, Volume I:
18.09.1932 – 14.02.1933 Leiter of SS-Flüchtlingslager Malcesine on Lake Garda, Italy, responsible for
assisting Austrian Nazis fleeing from Austria.
26.10.1932 – 14.02.1933 Führer of Standarte "J" (“J” = “Italien”; unit of SS men in Italy). Retained
titular command of 10.SS-Standarte. When Eicke was away in Italy, [Gauleiter Josef] Bürckel spread the rumor that he [Eicke] had been dismissed from the NSDAP. In letters to his SS comrades in Ludwigshafen (written 1932/1933), Eicke asked that they inform Bürckel of his vow that “I shall protect my honor with every means should he [Bürckel] continue his Jesuit tactics against me in our movement.” He stated that, if necessary, he would use “the old methods” [i.e assassination] against Bürckel. While in Italy, Eicke again embarrassed Himmler by leading a closed formation of uniformed SS men in a demonstration marking the 10th anniversary of the fascist “March on Rome.” The demonstration was held jointly with fascist Militia and regular Italian Army units at the Italian Victory Monument in Bolzano. This inflamed Austrian press agitation over the South Tyrol and the local Austrian Party leadership, under Franz Hofer, wrote to Hitler, Röhm, and Himmler asking that the Party Court impose the most severe punishment on Eicke. He was never punished, however, and the affair was forgotten.
Best wishes,
~ Mike Miller

Haifisch

Post by Haifisch » 24 Sep 2008, 07:00

Thanks Mike.
Out of the 118 viewers you came through with some info. This may be a tall order but are there any photos of that fugitive camp ?
Or any photos of Theodor Eicke at that camp ?

From what I have read Eicke and the SS fugitives offered to march in the Fascist parade out of solidarity with their Italian hosts and in the spirit of comradeship.

But because of the sensitive question of the South Tyrol, the Austrians were enraged. They saw Eicke and company as traitors to the German cause in the South Tyrol. Most of the SS men at that camp were from Germany and had little interest in the South Tyrol.

As seen by his previous and subsequent behavior, Eicke was a trouble-maker and fiercely independent.

Direct

Post by Direct » 29 Dec 2009, 02:40

See this website for information. I trried to upload the document but it was too large and was rejected by Axishistory.

http://suedtiroler-freiheit.com/content/view/71/1/

Scroll down until you get to "Online-Broschüren" section and click on "Gegen Faschismus und Nazismus"

Its in German, but you can clearly read Theodor Eicke's name and see his photos in the brochure.

This will open up to reveal the photos of Theodor Eicke and his SS men at the Victory Memorial in Bolzano, 1932.

Enjoy !

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 29 Dec 2009, 10:55

Direct wrote:See this website for information. .....

http://suedtiroler-frieheit.com/content/view/71/1/
Hallo Direct,

I had to correct the spelling of the link to the right one
http://suedtiroler-freiheit.com/content/view/71/1/

freedom = Freiheit and not Frieheit !! :wink: :idea: :)

Welcome in our forum !

Dieter Z.

Direct

Post by Direct » 15 Feb 2010, 01:18

Danke Sehr Dieter ! 8-)

Direct

Post by Direct » 15 Feb 2010, 01:26

After further research I have read that Eicke and the SS men under his command took part in the Victory Parade in Bolzano to march in solidarity with the Fascisti for giving them a refuge from the police authorities in Germany who had warrants for their arrests.

However to the Austrian leadership this looked like high treason, since its well known that the Italians treated their subject German minority in the South Tyrol very oppressively. The enraged Austrian NS leadership wrote to Hitler, Röhm and Himmler to have Eicke court martialed and evicted from the SS. No action was taken against Eicke or any of the SS men who took part in the march.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”