Some photos of former SA/SS locations at Berlin

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
mty

Some photos of former SA/SS locations at Berlin

Post by mty » 05 May 2009, 21:45

During my short visit to Berlin, I once again overestimated my schedule and had to skip some interesting Third Reich/SS sights :( . I mostly concentrated visiting SA/SS locations. Unfortunately most of the club houses utilized by the Allgemeine-SS Standarten no longer exist.

Friedrichstrasse 178 today: barracked SA-Hilfspolizei of Gruppe Berlin-Brandenburg was initially stationed in a building located on this place:

Hedemannstrasse 31/32, once here stood the HQ of SA-Gruppe Berlin-Brandenburg. These grounds also housed the well-known "Ic" department along with an unofficial prison which was closed down on initiative of Rudolf Diels.

Friesenstrasse police barracks in Kreuzberg - the barracks area is almost completely intact. SS-Stabswache Berlin, forerunner for LAH, was barracked here for short time (as part of the Polizeiabteilung Wecke which was stationed in these barracks from February to July 1933):

The approximate location of KL Columbia-Haus (taken towards west from the junction of Golssener Strasse and Columbiadamm). According to period maps, the Columbia-Haus prison stood right opposite the southern boundary of Friesenstrasse barracks area. It was later (1937) demolished to make way for the extension of Tempelhof aiport. There is a memorial stone on current Columbiadamm, next to the Friesenstrasse barracks.

Lichterfelde suburb in southwestern Berlin is beautiful and cosy, well-kept area some 10 km from the city centre. Most of the small houses seem to have been there already during the days of LAH.

LAH barracks at Lichterfelde, site of the former Imperial Cadet School:

The corner of Baseler Strasse and Finckensteinallee, the alleged location of Blood Purge executions carried out at Lichterfelde. The victims were placed against the western wall of the barracks area and shot one at a time. According to most sources the executions were led by Keilhaus, supervised and ordered by Kohlroser.

The pastor of this small church - "Kirche zur Heiligen Familie" - named Beyer noted in his diary for June 30th/July 1st that the shooting began early in the morning and lasted the whole day, up to following night. If I remember correctly, this church and its pastor was also mentiond by Gisevius:

- Mikko

SteveFBS

Re: Some photos of former SA/SS locations at Berlin

Post by SteveFBS » 05 May 2009, 23:32

Great photos and information! Thanks so much for posting.

-Steven

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”