Gerhard von der Ahe (Himmler's adopted son)

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
santopat67

Gerhard von der Ahe (Himmler's adopted son)

Post by santopat67 » 06 Jun 2009, 14:47

[Split from "wives and girlfriends of Third Reich officials"]

Does anyone know what happened to Himmler's adopted son - he was born Gerhard von der Ahe and was adopted when he was five. There's lots of references to what Himmlers wife and daughter did after the war but no mention of the adopted son.

csmyers12

Re: Gerhard von der Ahe (Himmler's adopted son)

Post by csmyers12 » 23 Oct 2009, 18:00

Gerhard von der Ahe was born July 21, 1928. His father was [probably] one Kurt von der Ahe (Scharfuhrer or squad leader) in the SS. Kurt was shot and killed in Berlin on Feb. 19, 1933. Of what happened to Gerhard, I have found out that at some point he had to leave school because of "unsatisfactory results". He joined the SS in Brno at 16 in early 1945 and shortly thereafter went "into battle". Presumably he was captured by the Russians, but was released at some point. Gebhard Ludwig Himmler (H. Himmler's older brother) told a journalist in 1966 that Gerhard later lived in north Germany.
So far as I know, Gerhard never took the last name of his adoptive parents- Heinrich pretty much ignored him. You can find out more about the Himmler family in the book The Himmler Brothers: A German Family History by Katrin Himmler.

I hope this helps.

Wildfire1953

Post by Wildfire1953 » 20 May 2013, 21:32

Hello
Gerhard von der Ahe was a close friend to my parents, i met him regularly as from my very young days until he passed away.
He was living in the city of Lübeck in North Germany, exactly in a suburb called "Kücknitz", where my parents and i lived as well. He worked from mid of the 50th until his retirement for a local newspaper called "Lübecker Nachrichten". As to my opinion he had an average midclass live. He was married to Annemie von der Ahe, they had no children, but they were very keen on dogs, which they treated like kids. I remember that he and his wife were very skilled on a German card game called "Skat", they both were club members and played on top level in the First German Skat league, as far as i know they both won a German championship, as crew and single players.
When me met he talked from time to time about his young days in the Third Reich, but honestly nobody took him very serious on this. Only later i realized that he was a legal son of Heinrich Himmler.
He peacefully died in a Nursery Home in Lübeck- Kücknitz, Solmitzstrasse, 2 years ago. His wife already died some 12/15 years ago. There are still some pictures available from him, in case of interest i can provide.

Hope this is of interest.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 20 May 2013, 22:03

Thankyou for sharing.

He lived a long and from what you say a good life. Its seems he didn't have to have
the repercussions of being the son of Himmler.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 21 May 2013, 01:24

Wildfire1953 wrote:There are still some pictures available from him, in case of interest i can provide.

Hope this is of interest.
It is and thank you. Please post some photos.
Max.

VIRREAL

Post by VIRREAL » 17 Nov 2015, 22:17

MAX

DO YOU STILL HAVE THE FOTOS OF GERHARD?

Kjakan

Post by Kjakan » 27 Jan 2016, 16:54

I read in a comment on this side, that the stepson Gerhard didn't have any children. According to an article in Die Welt, 1. Februar 2014, is this not correct. Look under for the link, and a direct quote:

http://www.welt.de/print/die_welt/polit ... wuchs.html

"Genauer bekannt ist, was aus Himmlers offizieller Familie wurde. Pflegesohn Gerhard, der sich als 16-Jähriger freiwillig zur SS gemeldet hatte, geriet nach dem Krieg in russische Gefangenschaft. Im Oktober 1955 kehrte er als 27-Jähriger zurück nach Deutschland, seine Stiefmutter Marga holte ihn im Lager Friedland ab. Gerhard lebte kurze Zeit bei ihr und Tante Lydia in Bielefeld. Im Frühjahr 1956 zog er nach Lübeck, wurde Kraftfahrer, heiratete und bekam einen Sohn. Zu Stiefmutter und Stiefschwester hatte er noch Kontakt bis zu Margas Tod im August 1967. Den "Lübecker Nachrichten" gab er 2001 ein Interview, erzählte von seiner Kindheit in meist "friedlicher Idylle". Im Dezember 2010 starb Gerhard von der Ahé in einem Lübecker Krankenhaus."

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”