Rudolf Höss' Grandson Rainer Höss

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
giselher

Rudolf Höss' Grandson Rainer Höss

Post by giselher » 02 Dec 2009, 20:52

... during the last couple of days, there have been a few articles coming out in Germany dealing with Rainer Höß, son of Hans-Jürgen Höß (born 1937) and grandson of Rudolf Höß visiting Auschwitz (http://www.bild.de) and offering some items and photos from the family to Yad Vashem. Very interesting. I stumbled across this by chance today.

Rainer seems to be the first one of the Höß family to go public with the family past. Very courageous. On the other hand the way the newspaper articles appeared shows that he would really need some help. Some of the articles are not very favourable about him, and some of the statements he seems to have made he should better have avoided. I hope he finds somebody who can counsel him a little bit in future.

Anyway, looks as if here is more to come in the future, maybe even interesting photos. On Bild.de they posted one of the 2 Höss-sons as kids supposedly in Auschwitz. And one of the articles mentions colour slides from Auschwitz that are in the posession of the family.

The fact that one family member has stepped forward now may also make others follow...

Tilman

giselher

Contact with Rainer Höß

Post by giselher » 25 Nov 2011, 13:48

It is almost two years ago that I wrote the above post after I read about Rainer Höß for the first time. Since then a lot has happened and therefore it is time for an update:

Earlier this year, I finally managed to get in touch with Rainer Höß and now I have good contact with him.

Rainer has very interesting stories to tell, he grew up in a family environment that was still very much on the NS side, but step by step he started to ask more questions and found out more and more about the family history. For several years now he has researched the family history in detail. Rainer has also inherited the bulk of the NS-stuff that still was with the family, and there obviously is a lot: photos (some have been in the press already) lots of paper stuff and correspondence, also other relics of all kinds relating to Rudolf Höß and his family.

All this stuff has been given to safekeeping and it will be made accessible for research step by step. Lots of interesting finds to be expected. I think it is very courageous to give away the whole family inheritance and eventually allow it to be used for research. It is clear that this material also represents a considerable financial value (millions?) and taking this into account, the more his decision should be appreciated, even more when you consider the family background that he is coming from. He is the first one of the family who is actively dealing with the family past. Early next year a TV film will be shown in Europe (a version of it has already been shown in Israel earlier this year under the name "Hitler's Children") where Rainer is taking part.

Rainer and I have started to cooperate in some areas: I (together with others) will help him ID'ing unknown people on the photos of the Höß collection. We will also look for new material concerning my main areas of interest: The camp inspectorate in Oranienburg (SS-WVHA Amtsgruppe D), SS medical staff and the social relations between families of SS officers mainly during camp service. I am very excited about this project. This is where the main overlap is between Rainer's and my research.

A word concerning some press articles that have been published about Rainer mainly on the web: there seems to be a campaign going on against him which is accusing him of still being a nazi, of not showing proper respect towards the victims of the holocaust, of financially profiting from his holocaust inheritance, etc. etc. It seems to be a politically motivated, maybe even personal campaign against him. My piece of advice: look at this very critically and judge for yourself at a later point in time. I couldn't find any of these accusation to be true so far.

Rainer can't help being the grandson of Rudolf Höß. And he is not to be held responsible for what the grandfather did. He is actively dealing with the family past, even publicly with his full name which I (as grandson of a camp physician) so far haven't done, and I think we should value this. Other grandchildren (and they also have a right to do that) keep quiet at least in public. Even if Rainer HAD made mistakes (I don't know about any, but no-one is without mistakes) we should still first of all look at what positive work he is doing. By the way, he is in good contact with the Auschwitz Museum and also cooperating with them...

More to come and I am looking forward to it!

Tilman

pim

Re: Rudolf Höss' Grandson Rainer Höss

Post by pim » 25 Nov 2011, 23:28

Thanks for keeping us informed. This is indeed interesting. Regards, Peter

coburg22

Post by coburg22 » 26 Nov 2011, 02:25

Looking forward to learning more, keep us in touch.

Best,

James

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Nov 2011, 07:00

Grandson of the SS commandant visited Auschwitz

Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Nov 2011, 07:38

Holocaust sting-Eldad Beck, Berlin

It started with a very innocent online correspondence.

One day, about six months ago, Rena Jacob, from Wertheim, a town in Southern Germany, got a request for friendship on facebook – from a man, she had not known before.

Mrs. Jacob, a woman in her early sixties, is engaged in many issues related to Germany's Nazi past. Nevertheless she took her time to respond to the request by Rainer Höß, the grandson of Rudolf Höß – founder and commander of the Auschwitz extermination camp.

"First of all I read, what he published on his facebook-wall," says Mrs. Jacob. "He sent a message, telling me of his activities against the extreme right, impressing facts about his family history and that he wants to do something good. I accepted the friend request and we corresponded for several months now and then."

Rena Jacob has a very complicated personal background of her own. She was born as a result of prohibited relationship within her family. Her grandfather, who was a political activist in the Social DemocraticParty and survived several Nazi concentration camps, was also her father. This secret was kept strictly confidential, partly due to the good political relations of her grandfather.

After her mother had died of tuberculosis, Mrs. Jacob grew up with her grandparents. She also suffered sexual abuse by the grandfather – the father. Up until she realized that his actions are wrong and intolerable. She threatened him with a knife. He did not dare to touch her again.

"I once was a victim, and I will not be anyone's victim again," she explains.This is why she is determined to prosecute the grandson of the commander of Auschwitz.

Over the course of years Rena Jacob learned, not to hide the terrible circumstances of her childhood. After all – her grandfather was a Social Democrat – she was brought up to see the importance of political awareness and the need to keep the memory of the past. Her grandfather was a German, who had suffered under the Nazis. So the relationship with Rainer Höß, the grandson of the commander of Auschwitz, challenged her.

He read that Mrs. Jacob wanted to start a Blog of her own, dealing with values and culture of memory. He suggested that both should create a joint website. He would deal the third generation of World War II and the Holocaust.

"He spoke articulately, and it seemed important to him to be doing something and set accents.He also told me about the suffering he went through in his childhood as 'grandson of'. He mentioned all sorts of interviews to various media outlets around the world and that his films are going to be broadcasted and introduced himself as a “VIP”.

The common website ‚Wider des Vergessens’ (against forgetting) started by the request of Höß on May, 1st this year, on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day. It was the day, when Chanoch Zeevi's film "Hitler's Children" was broadcasted on Channel 2 in Israel, featuring Rainer Höß.

This movie, that displays the grandson of the commander of Auschwitz as the descendant of a Nazi, struggling with the criminal acts of his grandfather, plays an important role in Höß's plans for a better future.

Rainer Höß, who wanted to sell the personal effects of his grandfather to Yad Vashem two years ago – and was rejected out of hand – is in a very difficult financial situation, according to information obtained by "Yediot Ahronot”. He had been previously sentenced to prison and got heavy fines for forgery, fraud, theft, burglary, physical violence.

Past punishment, it seems, had no deterrent effect to Höß, 46, as he is still continuing his criminal actions – this time taking advantage of "lineage" of the family and memory of the Holocaust.

"Yediot Ahronot": document by a credit investigation company: Rating level ranges from 1 (no motive for granting credit) to 6 (a man with the most negative credit rating). Rainer Höß has the lowest rating, awarded to people with criminal records and most heavy debts.

Shortly before the start of the new website, Höß informed Mrs. Jacob about his plan to set up a fund – to combat the extreme right, for the expansion of knowledge about the Holocaust among students.

Höß invited Rena Jacob, her son and her husband to visit him at home, near Calw / Baden Württemberg, where he lives with his wife, and gave them more details about his plan establishing the fund.

Among other things he told them, the foundation will also support study tours for German students to the former extermination camp in Poland.

Rena and her family thought, it would be better to found an association, because the establishment of a fund requires investing and amounts of initial capital.

To calm the fears, Höß invented a story about banking documents, he received. He talked about a huge sum of approximately ten million Euros for the "Estate of Höß" – those personal effects, he wanted to sell to Yad Vashem.

Höß added, that "there will be no problem, to get even 50 million Euros by Arab acquaintances" for running the fund.

Now suspicion was aroused in Rena and her family.
A recently conducted investigation shows, that the bank document is a fake. It is likely that it shall help the grandson of the commander of Auschwitz to trap potential donors for the the establishment of an imaginary fund.

In retrospect there is a suspicion that this is a “mainspring" and that Höß, who is heavily in debt, tries to get the fund for his personal needs.The false document (alleged bank deposit account), that was handed over to Rena Jacob, notes that Höß possesses 9.750.000 Euros for the sale of rights of the grandfather's estate, his name is not mentioned. Another document shows that the money is deposited in account closed for a period of time.
Date of deposit, Höß allegedly received for the estate, by a notary office in Stuttgart a is January 22nd 2009, a few months before Höß suggested his sales proposal to Yad Vashem. Conversely, the number of the deposit contract is from 2010.

Notary's office in Stuttgart said in response to display the deposit account, that there does not exist a document in their hands with a number like that on the account or included a client named Rainer Höß.
"Since there is no such document and we do not have a client Rainer Höß, the possibility that the document is false, is very high," said J. D., one of the notaries – noting that he was considering to hand it over to the police.

It turns out, that Höß told a large number of people about his plan to establish "a fund to combat the far right, on behalf of Holocaust remembrance" in recent months.

Höß, living on the dole for years (probably illegal), is systematically getting in contact with people engaged in commemorating the Holocaust via Internet – especially through "facebook". He tells them about "ideas" to commemorate the Holocaust.

He also boasted, that the management of the Auschwitz camp asked him to guide "exclusive tours" through the museum grounds of the former extermination camp.

A number of people, from Israel and abroad, also got in contact with Höß after the broadcasting of "Hitler's Children" in Israel and Blogs.

Rena Jacob estimates that Höß had sent the fake money deposit document to her as proof, that he possesses the necessary sources to establish the fund, although he has no access to a large amount of money.

"He sent me the document of deposit by email, two minutes after we finished the phone call about," says Mrs. Jacob. "In other words, the document was prepared in advance. I decided to break with the relationship, before he could ask me for money to run the foundation. But it was not the deliberately false document that strengthened me at last to stop this connection. Much worse were the ongoing lies. I caught him in many lies. Now, as we know this was a forged document, it is clear that the man was involved in criminal acts, and apparently still is, we are pleased, that the story came to an end that way".

At the same time, it turned out, that Höß never had a legal right to sell the estate of his grandfather to anyone. In contrast to the assertion, that it was given to him by inheritance, we hear the words of his family: the estate belongs legal to Höß's mother, Irene. She is divorced from one of the sons of Rudolf Höß (Hans-Jürgen).

Rainer Höß took the estate from his mother slyly, telling her, he wanted to transfer it to an expert to confirm the authenticity of those historical objects.

In retrospect, he took them out to the market place, offering them for sale. He maintained the contact to the Institute for the Study of German History "(IFZ) in Munich, while presenting the false legal heir of the estate and setting strict conditions for awarding access to researchers and historians to the historical items placed at the disposal, including mainly pictures of the former Höß family villa, of his grandfather and his family near the walls of Auschwitz.

This deception was revealed recently, when one of the relatives of Rainer Höß told, that his mother deposited at the historic estate.

Members of the Höß family say explicitly, that Rainer Höß stole these things from his mother. She went to the Historical Institute in Munich, presented official documents proving estate property and demanded the return to her.

The Historical Institute, who found themselves in great embarrassment, were eventually able to convince the mother to keep things in their hands.

"Today, access to these items is much more free, and this is the most happy development," one of the institute’s researcher told “Yedioth Ahronoth". However – even though he had involved them in criminal activities, institute officials continue to maintain close contact with Rainer Höß.

Another German, Höß contacted her through "facebook" on Holocaust Memorial Day, recalls: "At first he sounded very sympathetic. We mostly talked about his grandfather. I was very surprised to hear from a descendant of the Höß´ family, knowing that for a long time the family was avoiding all exposure. I was very astonished, that he showed little involvement on memory of the Holocaust, but on the other hand showed great interest to join lectures for students in schools. Later, he began to talk about his private life. At one point I got the feeling, that he was exaggerating his stories.

He invented stories, like: the Federal President of Germany will give him the Federal Cross of Merit and he was requested to guide groups in Auschwitz Memorial. I knew that the Museum of Auschwitz only employs professional, serious guides. He is provocatively toying with his familiar background und tells untrue stories He told me, that a book will be written about him, and the publishers had decided to release it in an edition of 25 million copies.

Via Facebook he was in touch with a Jew – an American, whose parents survived the Holocaust. Höß asked that man for connections between wealthy Jews in the U.S., he wanted them to invite him to lecture. When nothing happened, he denounced him – as a descendant of Holocaust survivors – with anti-Semitic invectives. Recently astonishments are heard from people who were in contact with Rainer Höß about his many anti-Semitic remarks like: "All Jews are rich. I am tired of their stories." The German journalist, Gerda Marie Schoenfeld, who worked many years for the magazine "Stern", planned to write a book, involving Rainer Höß, about his family. Recently, she decided to abandon the project, after it became clear to her, that he's a compulsive liar. "The man is Borderliner, a man, that fantasizes himself an imaginary life – lying and lying and lying," says Schoenfeld. But his problem is not just his lies.During our visit to Israel, we sat in a restaurant at Lake Kinneret. An elderly couple sat a nearby table. They spoke German. It turned out, that the husband escaped from Berlin before the war, his wife survived the Bergen Belsen camp. They both talked about what they went through. Instead of listening, Höß had not stopped playing with a street cat under the table.The grandson of the commander of Auschwitz, who always told me, he wanted to meet survivors from the camp, was not interested in those or other survivors. "

"The situation worsened later, when we visited a teacher, who had invited two survivors of Auschwitz to tell about their martyrdom in the camp. Rainer Höß did not stop chewing gum, while the two talked about the torture, hunger and death in Auschwitz.”

“During conversations I had with him throughout our acquaintance he surprised me every time again with astounding information: The Jewish recommended to give him a medal, Israel wants to give him a Peace Prize, Elie Wiesel wants to see him in Auschwitz, and the villa of Rudolf Höß in Auschwitz belongs to him. He claimed, that he had the documents to prove it. But he added, that the Polish family, who lives there now, can continue to live at home. Rainer Höß builds up his new terrible imaginary identity using his family name. He presents himself as a hero, fighting neo-Nazis, and that he is respected throughout the world. What morbid fantasies.”

Recently, Höß began to spread a new story among people, who are in touch with him. He tells, that he plans to build a museum inside the former villa of the Höß family in Auschwitz and here he will feature "The man Rudolf Höß".

Others he told, that the Auschwitz memorial museum is interested to show, how his family lived within the horror. Höß adjusts the versions to his audience.
Pawel Sawicki, spokesman Museum of Auschwitz, said in response "I do not know anything about such an idea. We have priorities, and we won´t spend money buying a villa and establish a museum. Rainer Höß contacted us and asked to be a guide, but we rejectedhis request".

http://sunday-news.wider-des-vergessens.de/?p=1274

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 26 Nov 2011, 11:48

Rainer is going to get attacked by some people no matter what he does. Above statements make the guy look like a scumbag...smear is a very powerful weapon and it's use is very prominent in today's media.
I did find the video clip interesting...I wish they would have shown more of the Höss family photos. I have never seen a photo of the Commandant's wife.
Like Rainer's companion in the film clip, it's amazing to observe by the photos how idyllic the family lived while just yards away such suffering was taking place. The kids looked like they didn't want for anything...a garden, swimming pool, toy cars and even a toy airplane! I remember reading in Höss's memoirs his self-pitying comments about his family....how disturbed his wife was upon discovering the nature of his work (stating that they rarely had sexual relations afterwards, although I could be confusing this with his later interrogation and/or conversations with psychologist G. M. Gilbert from his "Nuremberg Diary"). What is definately from his memoirs is the question he and his wife asked themselves once the war starting turning against Germany: "How long will our happiness last?" Höss was so disturbed that he turned increasingly to alcohol , became taciturn and irritable, and used to ride his horse to chase the thoughts from his mind. The home was so idyllic for his family that his wife and the children stayed at the house even after Höss had been transferred to Berlin's Inspectorate offices. If that was the case, I wonder where the Liebehenschel and Baer families wound up living? They may never have lived there I suppose. I have the book by Liebehenschel's daughter Barbara ("Babs") but have not read it yet.
There is a schizoid quality to the idyllic scenes presented in the family photos (the Koch family - Ilse and Karl of Buchenwald are very similar) and the death and suffering taking place just over the fences of the camp.

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Nov 2011, 11:58

Hello Duncan.
I think that this person not interested in anything except the money.

Helge

giselher

Post by giselher » 26 Nov 2011, 12:31

Hi John, I think in your first few lines you summarised it "very nicely".

I think the underlying problem is that some people want to hold the grandchildren responsible for what their ancestors did. This may be an inviting idea in the age of today's media, but it still is a big mistake. Rainer is not to blame for what Rudolf did. And in contrast to many others, Rainer is actively and publicly dealing with the family past and this should be appreciated.

Anything like that in the above article posted by Helge?

And even if Rainer had made mistakes of some sort, would this be a reason to go after him like the above article does? Certainly not!

I hope that things like that won't happen to me once my research on my grandfather has reached a point that allows publishing something or going public... ...and that is another very bad thing about this article: If a descendant of somebody involved in war crimes or whatever reads how some people wrote about Rainer, he/she will be scared away from going public with any finds or reseach. Really bad. They should be encouraged, not discouraged...

Best Tilman

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Nov 2011, 12:34

This is the father of Rainer Hans Jürgen Höß.
Here in the photo after the war resided with his mother and brothers and sisters in ST. Michaelisdonn

PHOTO : Frost flowers on the front right (as viewed from the viewer) Hans Jürgen Höß.

Helge
Attachments
Hans Jürgen Höß.jpg
Hans Jürgen Höß.jpg (98.97 KiB) Viewed 17380 times

giselher

Post by giselher » 26 Nov 2011, 12:39

Helge, I think you are wrong with your claim that Rainer is after money. The article wants you to believe that, though. I think we will know much better starting next year...

Best Tilman

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Nov 2011, 12:52

giselher wrote:Helge, I think you are wrong with your claim that Rainer is after money. The article wants you to believe that, though. I think we will know much better starting next year...

Best Tilman

What I think this person will say the judgments of the German criminal courts. It is certainly not a sin to be the grandson of Rudolf Hoss. No one is responsible for the actions of others but only of their.

Helge

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 26 Nov 2011, 12:54

*One must be careful however not to make himself an easy target for smear. There is a way of coming out from the shadows with dignity and grace. Below article is positive toward Rainer but look at how he behaves...he overplays himself as a victim...he is self-pitying, even blaming his bouts of asthma on his grandfather! He gets beat up by an unknown survivor who learns he's a grandson...sounds a bit melodramatic when reasonable people know better. His family calls him a "traitor"...he's a victim of his family. Yet what has he done with his life? Self-esteem comes from doing "esteemable" things. Two suicide attempts? Not a sound mind.

http://www.dawn.com/2011/05/14/german-g ... -past.html
Last edited by J. Duncan on 26 Nov 2011, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Nov 2011, 12:59

This person has been convicted several times in the past by the German criminal courts for common crimes ........
Dear Tilman I think like you: no one is guilty for other people.

Best Helge

giselher

Post by giselher » 26 Nov 2011, 13:04

yes, John, this is more a question of "taste" and there opinions may vary. Perfectly ok. If you go public, you must be aware that you open yourself up for criticism. Of course. And this is fully ok, as long as it is done in friendly way.

But this is what the above long article is missing. When you read that article, you get the impression that the author wants to "destroy" using any means that he can find...

Best Tilman

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”