Himmler 7 March 1945

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
rschuur

Himmler 7 March 1945

Post by rschuur » 27 Feb 2010, 13:17

Can anyone help me and tell where at the front Heinrich Himmler was with his
Sonderzug Steiermark on March 7 and 8 1945?

giselher

Re: Himmler 7 March 1945

Post by giselher » 27 Feb 2010, 13:49

Hi, why are you asking? I think it always helps if you explain the context of any question. Also makes it more probable that people will answer. By the way, welcome to the forum.

I just quickly looked into the recent German Himmler biography by Peter Longerich and I found that on March 7, there was a meeting of Goebbels and Himmler at Hohenlychen sanatorium where Himmler was trying to recover from an angina.... (compare page 742) Best Tilman

rschuur

Post by rschuur » 27 Feb 2010, 18:48

I want to know, because I am researching who was responsible for the executions of 230 people in Holland on 8 March 1945 in
reaction to the attack on Hanns Rauter, on 6 March. At the Neurenburg trial Reichskommissar Seyss-Inquart claimed the that BdS Schöngarth said order came from Himmler in Berlin to shoot 500 hostages. Schöngarth reduced this to 200-300 Todeskandidaten.
Other sources suggest it is highly unlikely that the order came from Himmler, as he was not in Berlin that day but at the front. Telex-messages I have seen were send to Sonderzug Steiermark and Himmler's reply came from the Sonderzug as well, but only March 10. So, I like to know where he was that day and if he could have had the time to give an order. There were about 8 hours between the first telex-message to Himmler and the search for Todeskandidaten.

giselher

Post by giselher » 27 Feb 2010, 20:15

Hi, thank you for the explanation. The Himmler bio by Longerich does not really give a day-to-day account of what Himmler did. On March 7 this meeting between Himmler and Goebbels at Hohenlychen is mentioned. Source is obviously the Goebbels diary and it is suggesting that Himmler had just somewhat recovered from illness, therefore it looks as if he had spent the days before also at Hohenlychen. Himmler's state is still characterised as "angeknockt" by Goebbels. One might conclude that Himmler needed to stay at least some more days at Hohenlychen. What exactly he did after March 7 cannot be seen, it is only mentioned he visited Hitler in Berlin around March 14 because Hitler informed Goebbels about it on March 15.
That's what I can contribute... Best Regards Tilman

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”