Globocnik: Volksdeutscher or Reichsdeutscher ?

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Hecht

Globocnik: Volksdeutscher or Reichsdeutscher ?

Post by Hecht » 23 Apr 2010, 19:18

Hello Guys,

A thing that I have always wondered is why Globocnik was considered as Reichsdeutscher, while IMHO he was clearly a Volksdeutscher, being born in the Austro-Hungarian Empire (Triest): his mother was very likely a Volksdeutsche from Werschetz, a well known german-speaking area in the Serbian Banat, and the father was a Volksdeutscher from Tržič/Neumarktl in Oberkrain.
There were many suggestion of Globocnik being of Slovene or Serbo\Croatian origins, but apart for the fact that his father lived in Tržič and the mother in Werschetz, no prove has been ever produced to confirm this: he always considered himself as a "Austro-Hungarian" German, or at least this is what we can understand from some of his letters.

During the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and after, many of the German-speaking and Windisch-speaking "slovenes" considered themselves as Volksdeutsche and not as Slovene, and most of them infact fought the SHS forces during 1919-1920 during Kärntner Abwehrkampf, as Globocnik actually did.

After WWI he moved to Klagenfurt, but was this enough to consider him a Reichsdeutscher?
Many Austro-Hungarians former citizens from Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary and Italy moved to Austria in 1920 and 1939 and they received German Citizenship, so I presume that this is the reason why Odilo was always considered as a Reichsdeutsche.

By the way I actually think that the surname Globocnik, had origin from Globasnitz, a Carinthian small town not too far from Tržič, and it's very likely that Globocnik's father was actually from that very same area of Völkermarkt.

Best Regards

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”