One armed SS-Untersturmführer

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
-Michael

One armed SS-Untersturmführer

Post by -Michael » 03 Apr 2011, 13:50

Can somebody indentify this one armed SS-Untersturmführer?
This photograph was probably shot in 1943, the other officers are SS-Obersturmführer Fritz Rudel, Kommandeur of the SS-Ausbildungslager of Schoten, where this photograph was shot, SS-Hauptsturmführer Adalbert Schindlmayr, Kommandeur of the SS-Ersatzkommando and Oberleutnant Léon Degrelle.
I you zoon in on the photograph on following link:
http://collections.yadvashem.org/photos ... 22617.html
(the digital photo collection of Yad Vashem)

JoeW
Financial supporter

Re: One armed SS-Ostubaf.

Post by JoeW » 04 Apr 2011, 18:48

Here is another one-armed SS officer, an Obstbf. in the SD in this case, that was posted here several years ago but never identified. Photo taken in Bayreuth in early 1940s.
Attachments
SDawards.jpg
SDawards.jpg (89.99 KiB) Viewed 2222 times

JoeW
Financial supporter

Re: One armed SS-Untersturmführer.

Post by JoeW » 26 Aug 2017, 07:46

Once again, would anyone know the identity of this officer?

Thank you.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 27 Aug 2017, 01:15

Joe,
What makes you think he's SD? He could be RuSHA, HQ staff or RSD.
Regards,
Max.

coburg22

Post by coburg22 » 28 Aug 2017, 03:00

Only possibilities from the 01.10.44 SS DAL that match the awards and possible blank collar tab are Max Wittrien, Otto Clausen, Franz Klebl, Walter Unger, Albert Heuberger and Carl Schmidt.

JoeW
Financial supporter

Re: One armed SS-Untersturmführer

Post by JoeW » 01 Oct 2017, 19:07

You're correct Max. I guess I was using SD as a catch-all term when I should have used RSHA. I don't think a member of the RSD would have been wearing the combat awards, or have lost an arm, do you? And from examining the photo again, there does not seem to be evidence of a cuff title for a member of HQ staff.

Coburg. I appreciate the work you did examining the DAL for matches. But looking at my DAL copies, I have a hard time differentiating between WWI and WWII EK Is. But all the suggestions you provided were Allgemeine SS. None of them had an RSHA unit connection. He is wearing the Alte Kämpfer-Winkel.

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 04 Feb 2020, 13:00

Hello

Here is one of many photos of Max Wittrien, SS-Ostubaf. from his SSO.
There is not track in his SSO that he had lost an arm.
But there still some interessting info about his DKiG

Best regards
Georg
Attachments
Max Wittrien 06_b.jpg
"Information not shared, is lost"

Personal Blog - http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/
Support AHF - app.php/support
My Project - www.führerliste.com

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 04 Feb 2020, 14:18

JoeW wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 19:07
You're correct Max. I guess I was using SD as a catch-all term when I should have used RSHA. I don't think a member of the RSD would have been wearing the combat awards, or have lost an arm, do you? And from examining the photo again, there does not seem to be evidence of a cuff title for a member of HQ staff.
Just reading this old post again and realised I didn't reply.
Joe,
I have a photograph of a member of the RSD taken in Krakow during a visit by Himmler. He has one arm. Trouble is, from memory, it's his left arm that's missing. You also didn't consider your man being a member of RuSHA, instead of RSHA. They also wore blank collar insignia.
Regards,
Max.

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 16 Mar 2020, 06:40

About Wittrien
Attachments
0376.jpg
003C
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

JoeW
Financial supporter

Post by JoeW » 18 Mar 2020, 02:48

Max Williams wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 14:18
JoeW wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 19:07
Just reading this old post again and realised I didn't reply.
Joe,
I have a photograph of a member of the RSD taken in Krakow during a visit by Himmler. He has one arm. Trouble is, from memory, it's his left arm that's missing. You also didn't consider your man being a member of RuSHA, instead of RSHA. They also wore blank collar insignia.
Regards,
Max.
Max, all of your suggestions are of course valid. I look at the image again and I had cropped to remove the lower left sleeve that was in the photo. The sleeve image stopped at the cuff line and there was no cuff title. I should have used the term RSHA, as no SD Raute was visible. In context, the photo was from a large grouping of party press photos from Bayreuth in the early 1940s. The image was during a party celebration with veterans present. This is the same group that had that photo I posted of the group of RSD and Bruckner outside the Haus Wahnfried smoking while AH was inside.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 18 Mar 2020, 14:28

I just found my old photo of members of Himmler's staff at the Wawel Castle in Prague. It appears on p426 of my Himmler book. In it are Rudi Brandt, Sepp Kiermaier and a guy with an arm missing. I originally thought it was his left arm, but now I see it was his right arm missing. It could well be the same man in the photo above. That would explain the blank collar patch.
Max.

JoeW
Financial supporter

Post by JoeW » 21 Mar 2020, 06:09

I found the image on page 426. The officer does have an old fighter's chevron which I don't see on the above fellow. But I have to imagine the grouping in your image are officers with some connection to Himmler. So, why would the same guy be in a rally in Bayreuth with no one else of that importance. I just can't imagine a connection. I haven't found an answer in twenty years, so I will probably forget about it again.

Were you ever able to find images of Himmler's Begleit Btl?

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”