Himmler as your Godfather!

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Andy H
Forum Staff

Himmler as your Godfather!

Post by Andy H » 22 Jun 2012, 17:16

Hi

I must admit that I have near zero interest in the SS, but whilst re-reading part of The War of the World by Niall Ferguson, he mentions on Pg267 that the prize for producing a 7th child was to have the Reichsführer himself as its godfather

It just piqued my interest to ask if any children achieved this dubious honour by being the 7th child born by a member of the SS? I'm assuming that there wouldn't be to many if any, given how long the TR lasted for anyway!

Regards

Andy H

phylo_roadking

Re: Himmler as your Godfather!

Post by phylo_roadking » 22 Jun 2012, 17:27

Oh I dunno - did the Nazis give the same tax breaks and financial rewards for parents of large broods as the Italians did under Mussolini??? :P

EDIT: and ahem..."by a member of the SS" - did they all have to be by the same mother? :D
Last edited by phylo_roadking on 22 Jun 2012, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Boby

Post by Boby » 22 Jun 2012, 17:28

Did Ferguson provides any source? It remember me of crazy SS histories propagated during and after the war.

At least they were not bored! :lol:

Orwell1984

Post by Orwell1984 » 22 Jun 2012, 18:44

He certainly seemed to have had enough godchildren to require help keeping tack of them.
From page 242 of Katrin Himmler's The Himmler Brothers, talking about Hedwing Potthast, secretary and later mistress of Himmler.
In January 1936 she started work as the Reichsführer-SS's private secretary, at the same time assisting Erika Lorenz, a sister of Werner Lorenz, the head of the Ethnic German Assistance Office (VoMi), in the time-consuming organzisation of the punctual distribution of presents to the Reichsführer-SS's many godchildren; they also had to keep track of what presents each had already been sent
So keeping up to date on the gifts for godchildren was a two person job which leads me to believe there were already more than a handful around in 1936.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 23 Jun 2012, 11:31

Boby wrote:Did Ferguson provides any source? It remember me of crazy SS histories propagated during and after the war.

At least they were not bored! :lol:
Hi Boby

No directly, other than it was amongst other information concerning racial marriage and births, and the wider Lebensborn program. Given that there were various rewards available from housing to income tax relief, its not that bigger stretch to see the Godfather reward as being in the mix.

Regards

Andy H

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”