Himmler headquarters in East Prussia

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Max Williams

Himmler headquarters in East Prussia

Post by Max Williams » 11 Dec 2012, 20:26

I am researching the headquarters used by Himmler during WW2 and I have got very confused with the field headquarters in East Prussia. I'm hoping someone from the area in Poland can clarify things.
I know that Himmler had his field headquarters in East Prussia near the Wolfsschanze at Rastenburg (Ketrzyn.) I believe Himmler's HQ here was called "Hochwald" and was at the village of Pozezdrze about 30kms east of Rastenburg. I believe he also used Sonderzug "Heinrich" in a railway siding in a nearby location.
Now comes the confusion........Himmler's service diary mentions his field headquarters here as "Hegewaldheim" or Friedrichsruh. There is no mention of "Hochwald." I know "Hegewald" was his field headquarters in the Ukraine near Zhitomir.
Can anyone clarify the difference between Hegewaldheim and Friedrichsruh or are they different names for the same thing? What exactly are they?
Does anyone know the locations (in todays terms) of either Hegewaldheim, Friedrichsruh or the railway siding used by the train HQ?
Any information would be of help please.
Thank you.
Max.

Martinski

Re: Himmler headquarters in East Prussia

Post by Martinski » 11 Dec 2012, 20:57

Hello Max!

I second your question! For my research about the FHQu "Wehrwolf", I also do study the Feldkommandostelle "Hegewald" at Guyva (Shitomir). I am writing you this message now directly from Kiev, as I came back this afternoon from "Wehrwolf" passing "Hegewald".

I've got the same remark concerning "Friedrichruh" / "Hegewaldheim".

On a map drawn by SS-Staf. Jungkunz, I discovered a small railway track going from the main railroad Winniza - Shitomir ending just south of the Feldkommandostelle "Hegewald". I located this on aerial and original wartime maps but, due to the heavy snowfall over here, we were unable to discover and document this separate railroad segment which is NOT shown on maps but can be seen in Google Earth. I strongly believe this segment was mounted by the OT in order to park the RFSS's train "Heinrich" near the Feldkommandostelle "Hegewald".

This will be described and documented in my book.

Greetings from "Hegewald" ! Martin

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 12 Dec 2012, 00:52

It appears that Himmler named the area of his field headquarters near Pozezdrze "Hegewald" before the field headquarters of the same name in the Ukraine. "Hegewaldheim" is mentioned a number of times in his service diary, obviously when he was in situ near the Wolfsschanze. This field headquarters is also referred to as "Hegewald" in the diary - see entries for 1st, 2nd, 3rd September 1941. This is far too early for the field headquarters in the Ukraine.
This poses several questions.....
1) Why is this field headquarters often referred to as "Hochwald"?
2) Why did Himmler choose a name for his field headquarters in the Ukraine that was already in use in East Prussia?
3) What and where was Friedrichsruh near Rastenburg?
4) Where did Himmler's train Sonderzug Heinrich stand in sidings near Rastenburg?
Anyone help please?
Max.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 12 Dec 2012, 02:17

I may have answered my own question number 2. Hegewald is an old German name for "colony" which would tie in nicely with Himmler's ideas and plans for settlements in the occupied territories. Possibly Hegewald was not a codename for a headquarters as in the case of Hitler's Wolfsschanze, but may have been a general term used for the area Himmler and his staff moved into. Only a suggestion which doesn't answer the other questions. The one that really intrigues me is Friedrichsruh. It appears that this is where Himmler slept for a lot of his time in East Prussia and I'm keen to find out more about it. What and where is it and what is it's modern name?
Max.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 12 Dec 2012, 11:10

My research has thrown up an answer to question 1.
Himmler's field headquarters situated just outside the village of Pozezdrze in East Prussia, was next to a high wooded hill the summit of which had an old brick tower built on it. (Don't know if this tower still exists.) The hill was known as "Hochwald."
As a codename for a field headquarters, Hochwald is not mention in Himmlers Dienstkalender of 1941/42. It is referred to as Hegewald or Hegewaldheim, both in connection with the old German general term for 'colony.'
Friedrichsruh IS mentioned by name and one may assume that it is a place or a building nearby, referred to by its old Prussian name. BUT WHAT OR WHERE IS IT?
Max.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 12 Dec 2012, 20:01

Anyone?

henryk

Post by henryk » 12 Dec 2012, 21:13

http://www.kartenmeister.com/preview/databaseuwe.asp
German Name Friedrichsruh 1938 > Polish/Russian Name More Research Needed
Kreis/County Darkehmen German Province Ostpreussen Today's Province Warminsko-Mazurskie
Location East 21°51' North 54°20'
Google Map Google Maps http://maps.google.com/?q=54.33,+21.85+ ... oc=A&hl=en
Map Number 1697
Remarks For additional information see: Friedrichsfelde

Friedrichsfelde not listed
[German Name Friedrichsruh, Vorwerk Polish/Russian Name Podlasie
Kreis/County Angerapp German Province Ostpreussen Today's Province Warminsko-Mazurskie
Location East 21°57' North 54°20'
Google Map Google Maps http://maps.google.com/?q=54.33,+21.95+ ... oc=A&hl=en
Map Number 16A
Location Description This village/town is located 7.7 km and 63 degrees from Kanitz, which is known today as Olszewo Wegorzewskie
Both Friedrichsruh are on the present Polish/Kalingrad border, about 20 km north of Pozezdrze.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 13 Dec 2012, 01:28

Many thanks.
This would suggest that Himmler also had quarters separate from his Kommandostelle at Hegewaldheim. I wonder if there is anything in either of the areas indicated to suggest the site of Himmler's quarters? Fascinating and totally new to me.
Max.

Zen Han

Post by Zen Han » 13 Dec 2012, 14:16

Dear Max,

Himmler was very seldom guest in his headquarters in East Prussia. He prefered something more comfortable than cold, wet and full of mosquitos bunkers.

Himmler's masseur (or rather bioenergytherapist) Felix Kersten in his memoires indicates Brożówka village manor (54°05'28.23"N - 21°57'25.82"E), as the place where he had plenty of meetings with Himmler. Other sources indicate another Himmler's residence as 1945's burned Dejguny village manor (54°03'31.60"N - 21°34'17.49"E). Both locations have got not any railway lines and never had, but they are enough close to Pozezdrze.

Neither Pozezdrze, nor Brożówka or Dejguny are located near any hill with brick tower. (Such towers, so called Bismarck Tower's were regulary erected in all german provinces and in East Prussia as well (see Wiki). The following were located in EP:
Malinowo (53°14'31.08"N - 20°13'15.06"E),
Mrągowo (53°51'59.60"N - 21°17'51.40"E),
Srokowo (54°12'54.26"N - 21°32'22.99"E).
The closest one to FHQ is Srokowo tower.

Mentioned "Friedrichsruh" name is probably incorect or incomplete. It probably named something belonged to any "Frederick", and could name everything. Former villages with this name were totally destroyed during WWII, but even they wouldn't, they would not be any headquartiers. There are not any remains of them...

As far I know, there were not other Himmler's headquartiers in EP except of Pozezdrze.

Regards

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 13 Dec 2012, 18:24

Zen Han wrote:Dear Max,

Himmler was very seldom guest in his headquarters in East Prussia. He prefered something more comfortable than cold, wet and full of mosquitos bunkers.

Himmler's masseur (or rather bioenergytherapist) Felix Kersten in his memoires indicates Brożówka village manor (54°05'28.23"N - 21°57'25.82"E), as the place where he had plenty of meetings with Himmler. Other sources indicate another Himmler's residence as 1945's burned Dejguny village manor (54°03'31.60"N - 21°34'17.49"E). Both locations have got not any railway lines and never had, but they are enough close to Pozezdrze.

Neither Pozezdrze, nor Brożówka or Dejguny are located near any hill with brick tower. (Such towers, so called Bismarck Tower's were regulary erected in all german provinces and in East Prussia as well (see Wiki). The following were located in EP:
Malinowo (53°14'31.08"N - 20°13'15.06"E),
Mrągowo (53°51'59.60"N - 21°17'51.40"E),
Srokowo (54°12'54.26"N - 21°32'22.99"E).
The closest one to FHQ is Srokowo tower.

Mentioned "Friedrichsruh" name is probably incorect or incomplete. It probably named something belonged to any "Frederick", and could name everything. Former villages with this name were totally destroyed during WWII, but even they wouldn't, they would not be any headquartiers. There are not any remains of them...

As far I know, there were not other Himmler's headquartiers in EP except of Pozezdrze.

Regards
Okay; thanks for your input.
Himmler's Feldkommandostelle Hegewaldheim is situated just outside Pozezdrze along the route 63 to the north-west of the village in woodland. He was a regular visitor there in 1941/42 as evidenced by his Dienstkalendar. There were no bunkers at the site until OT erected new buildings in the late summer of 1942 while Himmler was in residence at Zhitomir-Hegewald. I was incorrect to state previously that the codename "Hochwald" does not appear in his Dienstkalendar. It does. Hegewaldheim was renamed Hochwald when Himmler returned to the site for the first time after the bunkers had been erected and he inspected the new facility on 2nd November 1942. He moved in the same day. After that Hegewald was only used to describe the Feldkommandostelle south of Zhitomir in the Ukraine.
Before the rebuilding of Hochwald, the site consisted of a few temporary barracks and it was unsuitable for Himmler's overnight staying. Consequently, he commandeered a local house which he called Friedrichsruh or it was situated at a location called Friedrichsruh. (The name is correct as it appears on numerous occasions throughout the Dienstkalendar.) This is where his overnight quarters were. He also slept aboard his mobile Feldkommandostelle designated Sonderzug Heinrich (subsequently Sonderzug Steiermark.) The railway carriages were parked and camouflaged in a railway siding near to his Feldkommandostelle, not his overnight quarters.
Any information provided by Felix Kersten must be treated with utmost caution. In the past, he has been proven to be the purveyor of misinformation. He states that he treated Himmler in a large house near a lake and this could be Brożówka village manor. However, if Himmler wished to avoid mosquitoes, a lakeside residence would not be ideal.
Hochwald in English translates to high wood and the site of Himmler's Feldkommandostelle by that name does appear to be in an elevated position above the village. The reference to a brick built tower was from an internet search which resulted in a postcard image of a tower in East Prussia built on an elevated position and named Hochwald.
I am satisfied that you are mistaken over the name Friedrichsruh and that this was in fact the name of a building or area within striking distance of the Wolfsschanze in East Prussia. The name has been changed to either Polish or Russian after the war and the location may no longer exist, but it certainly did in 1941/42.
This is getting extremely interesting for anyone interested in Himmler and his movements during WW2. Please keep the information coming.
Regards,
Max.

Martinski

Post by Martinski » 14 Dec 2012, 01:01

Max!

I again second your remarks about Felix Kersten! I ordered his memoires for my study about the Feldkommandostelle "Hegewald" South of Shitomir. Kersten is almost useless.

But the Dienstkalender provides great info!!!!

Are you also interested in the Feldkommandostelle "Hegewald" South of Shitomir? We visited the site numerous times and have many good pics and studies about it. I will describe the "Hegewald" situation for 1942 as a separate chapter in my book about the FHQu "Wehrwolf".

Other question in return: do you have more info about the RFSS whereabouts during January - February - March 1943...????

Will leave Ukraine tomorrow morning, back to my library!

Greeting from Kiev - Martin

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 14 Dec 2012, 03:20

Always interested in the Feldkommandostellen Himmler.
I'm afraid Himmler's movements in early 1943 are very sketchy. He apparently conducted an inspection tour of the Lublin area in either February or March, but it's unconfirmed whether or not he visited the death camps of Aktion Reinhard. I would think it likely, but can't be certain.
Regards,
Max.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 14 Dec 2012, 13:32

I have found a passage referring to Werner Grothmann's description of Hochwald. He states that Sonderzug Heinrich was stood on a railway siding within Hochwald and was used sometimes for dining and sleeping. The account also mentions Feldkommandostelle Bergwald, situated at Salzburg-Aigen for easy access to the Berghof.
This same source mentions that Himmler spent a large part of his time in January, February and March 1943 at Hochwald. It has him arriving at the Berghof on 22nd March 1943 and staying in the area for several weeks. This could be checked against Hitler's movements as Himmler would certainly not be located too far from Hitler for any length of time.
I discovered in the Dienstkalender that Hegewaldheim is again referred to at the beginning of December 1942 and this is following the introduction of the name Hochwald. Himmler stayed and worked at Friedrichsruh for a large part of December 1942 and it is certainly not another term for Hochwald as the diary describes driving between the two locations.
Max.

Zen Han

Post by Zen Han » 14 Dec 2012, 13:39

Dear Max,
First of all you need to know, that all known nazist's headquarters in Poland are perfectly described in internet and other publications except of Hegewaldheim... so it's mystery can be unresolved forever, but I've fount newspaper "Das Ostpreussenblatt" from november, the 2-nd 1963 http://archiv.preussische-allgemeine.de ... _02_44.pdf. Here you are some citations from page 13 (im not fluent in German, so maybe someone will translate it).

"Der 3400 Morgen große Goldapgersee lag etwas abseits von der üblichen Reiseroute, und er war daher nicht so bekannt wie andere Seen Masurens. Das glitzernde Oval seiner klaren Wasserfläche und die sanfte Lieblichkeit seiner welligen Ufer erfreuten naturliebende Wanderer. Nicht nur der Hegewald an seinem Nordrand mit seinen Buchten und Schluchten, auch die steile Höhe bei der Mühle Kruglanken, der Wald bei Wiludden, die Hügel mit den alten Weiden bei Seehausen und die weite, sandhelle, buschumsäumte Küste des Werder boten ihnen unvergleichliche Aussichtspunkte.
Viele Jahre blieb es still um den See. Nur wenige Liebhaber wußten damals um das kleine Hegewaldheim an seinem Zabinker Zipfel. Lohnend und voll Entdeckerglück waren dann die Streifzüge durch den Wald. Hier lag die große Kolonie der Fischreiher mit über siebzig Horsten, man stieß auf den düstern Smollock mit dem breiten Verlandungsstreifen um sein schwarzes Moorwasser, fand die idyllische Wil-kusmühle und die freundlichen Ufer der Kutten, und man schritt über den schaukelnden Boden vieler Waldwiesen, die einmal alle Seen waren.
/.../
Fünfzehn Jahre gingen hin und spannen ihre Schleier über dies Erleben, bis alles wieder frisch und lebendig vor mir stand, der See und seine Wälder, bis mich ein Ruf nach Jeziorowken führte, das nun Seehausen hieß. Das kam wie ein unerwartetes Geschenk, und mir wurde bewußt, daß seit dem ersten Begegnen eine stille Liebe, ein uneingestandenes lehnen in mir verblieben war Ich ging gerndorthin, und ich wurde nicht enttäuscht. Wohl hatte sich einiges verändert. Eine feste Straße führte nun von Jakunen her durch den Hegewald bis nach Kruglanken. Die kleine Brücke trennte den Zabinker Zipfel von der Eschenorter Bucht, und wenn das anmutige kleine Hegewaldheim auf der Höhe auch manche Aus flügler anlockte, bewahrten See und Wald doch ihre urwüchsige Reinheit."

Above description with such indentificable places as "Jakunen" [Jakunówko], "Kruglanken" [Kruklanki], "Zabinker Zipfel" [Cypel Żabinki] , "Eschenorter Bucht" [Zatoka Jasieniec], leads to north shore of Goldopiwo lake (quite close to Brożówka), but 6 km NNE off it. Above text indicates Hegewaldheim near Hegewald (Hege forest) as actual Żabinki tourist camp for youth and students. Using Google Earth at location 54°08'07.25"N 21°58'38.38"E you can see 4 roofs of long buildings, not usually erected in EP now and in the past. Ground pictures show typical "C"-class concrete huts, similar to those in Wolfsschanze https://www.zabinka.pl/?page_id=54. I'm quite sure, that this is it.

Regards

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 14 Dec 2012, 14:19

Now that you mention the youth camp Zabinka, I have a blurred memory of some photos posted either here on AHF or on another site showing a youth camp where some of the wooden buildings were once used as Himmler's "headquarters" and they still survive. If this is the case, Hochwald, Hegewaldheim and Friedrichsruh are all in different locations. So it would appear that the site of Hochwald was possibly not used prior to November 1942 as a Feldkommandostelle and that Hochwald was a brand new facility. Hegewaldheim (Zabinka) was used as a temporary Feldkommandostelle and Friedrichsruh was an overnight quarters used by Himmler to sleep and live when not working. My guess is that it was an old house or mansion known by its old East Prussian name which has either been renamed or no longer exists.
These findings throw into doubt the claim that Himmler's HQ was at Pozezdrze from 1940/41. If this is the case, the Pozezdrze site was only in use from November 1942 when Hochwald was opened. With this in mind, the Dienstkalender indicates that Hochwald, Hegewaldheim and Friedrichsruh are all in different places as a car was used to travel between them.
Although all Nazi HQ sites are described on the internet, that does not mean they are correct. The internet is well know for mistakes. I'm also a bit confused about your newspaper exerpt which does not appear to bear any reference to Himmler HQs.
Thanks for your observations,
Max.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”