Lt Alfred Lengenfeld

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
j keenan
Financial supporter

Lt Alfred Lengenfeld

Post by j keenan » 27 Aug 2014, 21:22

Who is the mystery Lt. Alfred Lengenfeld mentioned in the Meyer case ?
There is no Lengenfeld mentioned in the 14./LAH 1.39
There is a Alfred Lenge d.o.b. 28.9.19 Königsberg
Party Number 5.507.317 joined 1.3.38
SS-Number 348.7882
Who then went on to serve in SS-Pz.Jg.Abt. 6, 1.43
Then SS-Pz.Jg.Abt. 9, 8.44; m.i.a. 4.9.44 as a SS-Ustuf.
Which would make his statement to the British False ?
Source J P Moore's Führer List

seaburn

Re: Lt Alfred Lengenfeld

Post by seaburn » 28 Aug 2014, 16:28

I'd still be interested to know the answer to that question 'JK'. This is the thread I put up about the same subject last year and it has some extra details on him. Unfortunately no-one came back with any info and as his testimony appeared to be questionable I never pursued it further.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=199346

From memory I believe that he had been reinstated back into service as a Fallschirmjäger before D Day. He had claimed that he was sent to Buchenwald after refusing an order to shoot 50 Jews in Poland in 1939, this order having emanated from Kurt Meyer. As stated on the Kurt Meyer/Jefremowka thread, Legenfeld gave personal details about KM in that interrogation which led me to believe he was personally acquainted with him, these details included where Meyer was born and where his wife and family lived in 1939. He also went on to give details on his time in Buchenwald although that second page was not complete in the document I saw. I will try to dig out the interrogation again as there were some other details on his time with the LAH prior to 1939 in it I think. Could the spelling of his name be different ? Sometimes names were not spelt correctly in these interrogations.

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 28 Aug 2014, 19:04

I've had a look again at WO208/4295

The document is quite hard to read – First name is definitely Alfred but some of the letters of his surname 'L##genfeld are unclear– these second and third letter could be different but they do look like ‘en’

Captured by Armee Blanche 4th of Sept. 44 HASSELT

Units

Nov 37 Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, Berlin
Oct 39 Condemned by court martial to concentration camp Buchenwald
Feb 43 Called up to G.A.F.
Feb 44 Re-instated in his rank
Sept 44 14/Fallschirm Jg Reg 8 (3 Para Division)

j keenan
Financial supporter

Post by j keenan » 28 Aug 2014, 19:26

Think he maybe made up his history after LAH ?

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 28 Aug 2014, 21:02

I suspect he 'made up' an awful lot of what was in that document - but ... he does have knowledge of Meyer - no doubt - hopefully others on the forum may be able to help put this mystery to bed !

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 28 Aug 2014, 22:23

According to the very detailed "Stellenbesetzung" of 3. FJD (printed in "Der Vergangenheit auf der Spur" ) there was no Lengenfeld in 3 FJD. Closest approach is a Lt. Landefeld, first Stabs-Kompanie F.A.A. 12 then sMG-Kompanie F.A.A. 12. No first name listed. The name is also not even mentioned in the book.

Given the mutual contacts and the detailed studies of their own history that the paratroopers had post-war I would be surprised that such a remarkable detail of "their" history would not become known to them.

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 29 Aug 2014, 11:32

Ypenburg wrote:According to the very detailed "Stellenbesetzung" of 3 FJD (printed in "Der Vergangenheit auf der Spur" ) there was no Lengenfeld in 3 FJD. Closest approach is a Lt. Landefeld, first Stabs-Kompanie F.A.A. 12 then sMG-Kompanie F.A.A. 12. No first name listed. The name is also not even mentioned in the book.

Given the mutual contacts and the detailed studies of their own history that the paratroopers had post-war I would be surprised that such a remarkable detail of "their" history would not become known to them.
The plot thickens !

The possibilities are too numerous to speculate - Was his name different or his service record a lie? Was he sent to Buchenwald but for a different offence that he didn't want discovered ? It would have been interesting to get more detail on his capture,whether he had his Solbuch/tags on him or if he was in uniform. From the scant information on this, it seems he was captured by the 'Armee Blanche' in Belgium on Sept 4th and was subsequently handed over to the British.

He gave information including a detailed description of KM's physical characteristics and his personal family information, he also told his interrogators that Meyer:
'boasts that he had 25 bones broken, was a great athlete, rider, motor car driver etc, Slightly lame and turned one foot out, but not very noticeable....Keen and good officer, popular with his men, very dashing"

These details lead me to believe that 'Lengenfeld' did know KM personally as all of the above are known facts, also the details of his family are correct, whether that means he was in the LSSAH with him though cannot be verified unless his suspected real name can be uncovered. This document was not included in the prosecution file against the 12th HJ (TS26/856) although other incriminating ones against the Division where centralised in that file. This had led me to assert previously that the British may have been sceptical about the veracity of his statement. The only reference to this document was:

Reported but Unverified against Civilians.

Sub Heading: By Meyer against civilians

1939 / Modlin / 14/LAH/Meyer/ 50 Polish Jews

The name of the accuser nor the details of the incident were included, nor did it appear that 'Lengenfeld' was re-interrogated even though this information could have been used against KM at his trial to prove previous 'form' in the murder of civilians. It was this reference from TS26/856 that brought this accusation in the public domain when it was recited by author/Historian Peter Lieb in his book when he wrote :

in der Tat wurde Meyer vorgeworfen, 1939 als Kompaniechef bei modlin in polen 50 juden erschossen zu haben und 1943 bei Charkow ein ganzes dorf niedergebrannt und alle Bewohner ermordet zu haben.”....... (‘in fact Meyer was accused of having shot and killed in 1939 as a company commander at Modlin in Poland 50 Jews and 1943 in Kharkov burned down an entire village and killed all the inhabitants.’) (Konventioneller Krieg oder NS-Weltanschauungskrieg ? Page 159)

As posted on the 'Meyer war crimes in Modlin and Charkow' thread, there was no corroborating evidence found to substantiate that this event ever took place, leading to suspicion that 'Lengenfeld' had made the story up in order to shine a better light on himself. The findings so far on this thread have only confirmed that suspecion.

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 21 Jan 2018, 17:24

This page is a part page from WO208/4295 (British National Archives) and proves finally that the mysterious 'Alfred Lengenfeld' fabricated his name and allegation against Meyer for shooting 50 Jews in Poland. 'Lengenfeld' is unmasked as the same Alfred Lenge from the original post here.
WO_208_4295_0363-crop-crop.JPG

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”