Picture of Joachim Peiper as SS-Standartenführer

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
WehrmachtSS

Picture of Joachim Peiper as SS-Standartenführer

Post by WehrmachtSS » 20 Jan 2015, 06:33

So according to Wikipedia, Peiper was promoted to SS-Standartenführer in late April of 1945. I have also read he was promoted to that rank ever earlier then that. But of all the Peiper pictures I have seen, they are usually of him as a SS-Sturmbannführer or SS-Obersturmbannführer. So is there any pictures of him wearing the dual single oak cluster? Are there pics of him at the time of his capture? I'm not sure if he would have been able to alter his uniform before the wars end but I am curious to see him wearing the SS-Standartenführer insignia.

Thanks

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Re: Picture of Joachim Peiper as SS-Standartenführer

Post by Dieter Zinke » 20 Jan 2015, 12:17

According to Dr. Jens Westemeier [Universität Potsdam] "Himmlers Krieger, Joachim Peiper und die Waffen-SS in Krieg und Nachkriegszeit":
There is no proof for his promotion to SS-Standartenführer in the documents of the Bundesarchiv and also in the papers of WASt (information from WASt on 18.10.2007). The promotion - declared by Sepp Dietrich in his own authority - was illegal, unauthorised by the SS-Personalamt and consequently having no legal force!
Despite this Peiper still wore by evidence the insignia of a SS-Standartenführer.

Dieter Z.

WehrmachtSS

Re: Picture of Joachim Peiper as SS-Standartenführer

Post by WehrmachtSS » 23 Jan 2015, 11:49

Thanks for the information. But are there no pictures of him actually wearing the Standartenführer collar tab? I have searched high and low but I can only mainly find him wearing the Sturmbannfuhrer and Obersturmbannführer insignia and then him in Allied custody wearing an insignia-less tunic.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”