Hermann Fegelein, awards, rank & death

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Peter
Financial supporter

Hermann Fegelein, awards, rank & death

Post by Peter » 03 Mar 2015, 12:15

I have read several accounts of the fate of Hermann Fegelein, most say that he was arrested, stripped of his rank and awards on the orders of Hitler and then shot.

Does this mean that he should no longer be regarded as a Ritterkreuzträger in the same way that Hitler had the participants in the July 1944 plot stripped of their ranks and awards before execution ?

I don't have a copy of Veit Scherzer's book but I believe that Fegelein is still listed as a recipient (RK, EL, Schw) although the July 1944 plotters are not.

I have read the thread here, which has a very useful list
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... +witzleben

But I am uncertain how to accurately record Fegelein in my research. I believe that Jeremy asked the same question at some stage but I cant find it now and guess that no answer was given as I haven't noted anything down.

MfG Peter

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Re: Hermann Fegelein, awards, rank & death

Post by Georges JEROME » 03 Mar 2015, 18:17

Hello Peter,

27.04.1945 A.H. shares Mohnke, commander of the Verteidigungsabschnitts "Zitadelle" (Reich Chancellery) to notifie his demotion, expulsion from the SS and the forfeiture of any medals and Erhrenzeichen . Fegelein cutted himself his shoulder traps. He was sentenced by a martial court led by Mohnke.
29.04.1945 Executed by members of R.S.D. in the garden of the Reichskanzlei.

(source : Dieter Zinke, Andreas Schulz: Die Generale der Waffen-SS und der Polizei, Band 1 page 301 )

Georges

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 03 Mar 2015, 18:24

Thanks Georges

That confirms what I believe, but Veit Scherzer still recorded Fegelein as a Ritterkreuzträger although the "legal" authority for RK-EL-Schw had personally ordered it cancelled and made it very clear with a death sentence to confirm things.

Please does anybody know if there has been an update on the Scherzer listing ?

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 03 Mar 2015, 20:08

In various books I've on RKT :
- Gerhard von Seemen Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939-1945
- Schneider and Krätchmer on RKT in the Waffen-SS
- Thomas Lenfeld upon Eichenlaubträger
there is an entry of Fegelein
they just consider the date and condition of awards not the political decision to cancel award.

(Erich Hoepner involved in july plot and hanged was listed as well in von Seemen as RKT fron 1939).

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”