Himmler’s Feldkommando-Stelle April 1945

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Melnyk

Himmler’s Feldkommando-Stelle April 1945

Post by Melnyk » 28 Jun 2015, 20:19

Hi

I know that in April 1945 Himmler’s Feldkommando-Stelle was in Salzburg.
does anyone know who was on its staff at that time and what their respective roles and functions were?

best wishes

Mike Melnyk

Max Williams

Re: Himmler’s Feldkommando-Stelle April 1945

Post by Max Williams » 28 Jun 2015, 20:55

Your information is incorrect. In April 1945, Himmler did not return to his Feldkommandostelle 'Bergwald' situated at the former von Trapp mansion, as by then Hitler had abandoned the nearby Berghof, never to return. Himmler's Feldkommandostellen were located at various places in Northern Germany during April.
You will find information regarding Himmler's staff, Feldkommandostellen and movements during April 1945 in the following books:
"Himmler's Diary 1945" by Stephen Tyas and Peter Witte, Fonthill Media 2014;
"Heinrich Himmler - A Photo History of the Reichsführer-SS" by Max Williams, Fonthill Media 2014.
Max.

Melnyk

Post by Melnyk » 28 Jun 2015, 21:38

Hi Max

and thank you for the reply. I have both books to which you refer, and know Steve Tyas well and for years I have been trying to establish Himmler's whereabouts on from 25 - March - 1st april .

from the book by Wold Dietrich Heike (verbatim):
the episode described in late March / early April 1945

"the divisional commander (ie Freitag) left for Himmlers Feldkommandostelle in SALZBURG. No one had heard about the order until Freitag addressed the head of Himmler's Feldcommandostelle".

I know for sure that on 28 March 1945 Himmler met with the command of Army Group South in Austria.

Now I am not saying that he spent any time here, but I am pretty certain that Himmler had a Feldkommandostelle in Austria at that time.
He had some kind of command centre here and it was manned by a staff. I am trying to find out who

best wishes

Mike
Last edited by Melnyk on 28 Jun 2015, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Melnyk

Post by Melnyk » 28 Jun 2015, 22:08

Hello again

my mistake Max, in your book which I am holding it says that Himmler was in Eisenstadt south of Vienna on 28 March and I guess his meeting with Army Group south was in Vienna the following day.
why did he visit AGS? On the night of the 23/24 March, Hitler directed that the 14 Galician division be disarmed. According to the notes from the conference he said "I want to speak to Himmler right away. he is in Berlin anyhow".
Well he must have spoken to Hitler because he duly issued a disarmament order - and Army Group South was responsible for executing it.
That is one reason I figure he spoke to the AGS command in Vienna.
Heike is explicit when he says in order to get the order rescinded Freitag drove to Himmler's Feldkommandostelle in Salzburg.

Perhaps Heike who is otherwise very reliable is mistaken. It may not have been an 'official Feldkommandostelle' but I figure Freitag wouldn't have driven some 160 odd kms to Salzburg in an emergency unless he had good reason to go.

Perhaps Himmler had some kind of temporary office here whilst he was in Austria for the conference with AGS?

I am still not sure who would have manned such an office - but someone must have for for Freiatg to have spoken to them

By the way Max your book is in my opinion outstanding and a pleasure to own. Money well spent

best wishes
Mike

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 29 Jun 2015, 02:47

Your question related to Himmler's Feldkommandostelle 'Bergwald' in April 1945 and there is no information that he was at 'Bergwald' during this month. It is possible that he visited or stayed at 'Bergwald' during his Austrian visit to Vienna, but this was the previous month.
Max.

Melnyk

Post by Melnyk » 29 Jun 2015, 07:50

thank you Max - so at least we know he MAY have gone there in late March when he was in Austria

So now the question is "was Bergwald manned in his absence?" I don't really know much about the operational aspect of Himmler's Feldkommandostelle in terms of day to day operations, despite what I have read including the excellent information that Roland sent me and for which I am very grateful.

If Himmler had effectively "closed Bergwald down" then I cant see why he would retain any staff there. on the other hand if it continued to operate with a skeleton staff (for example on the outside chance that he might have intended to return to Austria) then who might have been there at that time? I know that he travelled a lot and have photos of his plane etc and that he seemed to have taken an entourage with him of varying sizes whenever he was "based elsewhere". If in actual fact is "operational Feldkommandostelle" was in northern Germany as you correctly state - who if anyone might have been left at Bergwald?

best wishes
Mike

lazybather

Post by lazybather » 29 Jun 2015, 09:08

Guys, using various published and unpublished sources, this is how I have reconstructed the movements of the SS-Richter bei RFSS u.Ch.d.Dt.Pol.:

The SS-Richter bei RFSS u.Ch.d.Dt.Pol. was with the Feld-Kommandostelle Frankenwald near Bad Frankenwald between 2 and 29 March 1945, (prior to this move he and his staff was at Birkenwald). He and almost all the Persönlicher Stab RFSS relocated to Berlin on 12 April 1945.
Himmler and his closest staff remained with his personal train at Wustrau and never reunited with the Feld-Kommandostelle.

The SS-Richter bei RFSS u.Ch.d.Dt.Pol., a part of the Persönlicher Stab RFSS and Himmler's Polizei adjutant, Oberstleutnant Suchanek left Berlin for Bayern on 21 April 1945.
Their train came under air attack at Pilsen and stopping briefly at Taxenbach, a little later they re-established radio communications with Himmler via the OKW. Soon after, the train was handed over to the OKW and the Feld-Kommandostelle set up headquarters at Hollersbach near Zell am See.

The SS-Richter bei RFSS u.Ch.d.Dt.Pol. established himself, with his staff, at Aigen near Hallein, (Salzburg) and the Feld-Kommandostelle remained in contact with Himmler’s radio van in Holstein until 8 May 1945.

It would be safe to say that on 12 April 1945 there existed two Feld-Kommandostelle, both on separate trains. The smaller of the two, with Himmler, remained in Northern Germany and the other, with the vast majority Himmler's staff that had escaped the order to fight in Berlin, settled in Bayern.

[Sources; the author Steve Tyas, the Fritz Killing diary, CIRO/PEARL/ZIP/GPD 4087, dated 8.3.1945 (message 152) Kew TNA, HW 16/43,
the Interim report in the case of Werner Grothmann dated 13.6.1945, TNA, WO 208/4474, (C.S.D.I.C (U.K.) G.G. Report S.R.G.G. 1322 (C), Dated 7.7.1945, TNA, WO 208/4170) & Top Secret ULTRA, report CX/MSS/SC1 dated 30.4.1945, TNA, HW 5/706 & TNA, HW 1/33739, (Churchill) & Percy E. Schramm – Kreigstagbuch der O.K.W 1944-45, page 39 & Gerald Reitlinger – The SS, page 434.]

Hope this post is of some help.

Stuart. :-)

Melnyk

Post by Melnyk » 29 Jun 2015, 22:43

Thank you Stuart for your informed and useful reply. So my question now is who is likely to have remained with Himmler at his 'operational Feldkommando-stelle' in northern Germany and more importantly from my point of view who might have been in Bergwald in the last week of March and first week of April 1945?

best wishes

Mike Melnyk

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”