Need information

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Guenter

Need information

Post by Guenter » 15 Dec 2016, 05:27

A friend on Facebook is trying to find informations about a war souvenir from his Dad
here is the message

Hello Gunter and Merry Christmas. Do you have any connections or resources on identifying German SS Sgts. My Dad acquired a trophy sword in or near Essen Germany that has the name of Born inscribed on it. I am attempting to identify this person on the blade. I will send you a photo of the inscription and see if you can offer any information on it. I will also forward information I recently obtain from a person here in the states who is knowledgable of SS soldiers. This is who he is thinking it could be and I was wondering if you had anyone or know if it is possible to identify the person on the blade.
Hello Marty,

Here is the information I found on Erich Born (possibly the person named on the blade) in the July 1935 SS Diestaltersliste:

BORN, Erich , 5. Mo Sta (5th Motorized Standarte), NSDAP-Nr. 450.935, SS-Nr. 16.738, SS-Untersturmführer 9.11.34 (Rank and date he joined)

Can’t say for sure this is the guy but it looks promising, as here is the particulars on the 5th SS Motorized Standarte (Regiment/Company)……..

“ In addition to its regular formations, the Allgemeine-SS maintained special-purpose units for transport, signals, and engineering.

These units were known as: SS-Kraftfahrstürme or Motorized
Nineteen transport companies were formed by the SS throughout Germany. The areas of responsibility were:

1st KfS (München & Augsburg)
2nd KfS (Erfurt)
3rd KfS (Berlin & Senftenberg)
4th KfS (Hamburg, Kiel & Bremen)
5th KfS (Düsseldorf, Buer, & Dortmund) Essen and Duisburg fall with in the area covered by the this unit……
6th KfS (Dresden & Chemnitz)
Etc…….

Thank you
Gunter
Attachments
marty15502959_10207667157099831_1074924608_o.jpg

history1
Banned

Re: Need information

Post by history1 » 15 Dec 2016, 19:36

I don´t see any SS link on that blade.

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 16 Dec 2016, 23:31

I agree. There is no SS connotation with that inscription. Rather it is a gift to Police Senior Sgt.Born from a group of examinees. Perhaps involving some police graduation class? Unless Born was promoted to an officer, any chance of learning more of him is remote. There are some NCO files in the archives, but you would need to hire a competent researcher to investigate further. I would presume it is a standard dove-head sword? Not a police design sword as they were not issued at the time of the dedication.

Dwight Pruitt

Post by Dwight Pruitt » 17 Dec 2016, 23:31

Ross Kelbaugh and Rob McDivitt are as good as it gets in SS research. If they can't find your guy, I don't know anyone who can. Obviously there is a fee, but it certainly worth asking them,

Reach Ross here: http://www.ssdaggers.com/home

Rob McDivitt researched a name on an SA dagger for me 25 years ago and did a wonderful job. You can reach him here: http://www.militariaresearch.com/

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 18 Dec 2016, 10:18

Dwight Pruitt, did you read the above posts? There is absolutely NO connotation to the SS. Joe is absolutely correct, Polizei - Meister is the hightest NCO rank of the Ordnungspolizei (Order Police).
The Volksbund grave search lists for "Born" more than 800 results, 4/5 of them for WWII. Every single one of them could be the police NCO in question. Good luck finding him!

Dwight Pruitt

Post by Dwight Pruitt » 18 Dec 2016, 17:53

No, history1, I just pulled those names out of my third point of contact.

The reason I gave McDivitt's name was 20 years ago, I had a SA dagger named to "Hans Steckhan" (note no SS connection there as well). Rob McDivitt found that Steckhan had been a part of the Feldjägerkorps. later transferring to the SS and became a police NCO in Gustrow.

While you may feel that there is no point in carrying the research further, and that the name in question is a dead end, the original poster may disagree. I just gave him two possible avenues to carry his research further.

Have a nice day.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 18 Dec 2016, 19:13

You´re wrong with your claim "While you may feel that there is no point in carrying the research further, and that the name in question is a dead end, the original poster may disagree", Dwight Pruitt.
Right contrary I pointed out that there are ~ 640 men on the grave search list with the last name "Born" and everyone of them could be the Born in question - and I wrote "Good luck finding him!".
Would I express this wish when suggesting to give up? Rather not.
It´s a way tougher situation as in this case there is no given name.
BTW, this results doesn´t include the Born´s which survived WWII and returned home.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”