Was Himmler executed by his British captors?

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Mister S

Was Himmler executed by his British captors?

Post by Mister S » 16 Feb 2017, 18:42

I have heard in the past a few people who believe that Himmler could have been killed by his British captors (David Irving is one of them). I didn't research it much, but I came across it when I was reading Steven Lehrer's book on the Reich Chancellery and Führer Bunkers, and he puts a light to the possibility that he was murdered by his British captors. It just made me curious what other people think about this subject. Could this have been possible? I am keeping a very open mind about this topic.

I am not sure if this has been discussed here before, but I am open to all forms of discussion, for or against this subject.

Mister S

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Re: Was Himmler executed by his British captors?

Post by Georges JEROME » 18 Feb 2017, 16:22

Hello,

I suggest you to use the search engine of the forum.
More recent works by Peter Padfield, Schulz and Zinke, Max Williams offer a good view upon Himmler fate.
At my opinion, David Irving a talentuous writer but orientated historian is not the most reliable source.

Georges

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 19 Feb 2017, 14:07

"Himmlers Tod" by Joseph Bellinger poses this exact question. It is the source for Irving's argument. It is only in German.
Max.

j keenan
Financial supporter

Post by j keenan » 19 Feb 2017, 14:31

I think After the Battle magazine cover Himmlers death in one of there early editions

steve248

Post by steve248 » 19 Feb 2017, 19:02

As the joint author of "Himmler's Diary 1945" (and still available from amazon) we never believed that the British caused Himmler's death. Quite the opposite, they tried to keep him alive once he had swallowed the cyanide.
Like all deniers, whether the Holocaust or Himmler's death, their speculation cannot be true as there are simply far too many different sources to support the fact that Himmler did indeed bite into his cyanide capsule.

Mister S

Post by Mister S » 19 Feb 2017, 23:41

Georges JEROME wrote:Hello,

I suggest you to use the search engine of the forum.
More recent works by Peter Padfield, Schulz and Zinke, Max Williams offer a good view upon Himmler fate.
At my opinion, David Irving a talentuous writer but orientated historian is not the most reliable source.

Georges
I did use the search engine.

If there is another thread, please link me! Thanks.

randwick

Post by randwick » 20 Feb 2017, 08:54

Himmler death was one of those convenient ends, either fortuitous or arranged, I guess we will never know for sure if he didn't commit suicide, as possessor of much information he could have been a possible embarrassment. There are plenty of shade of grey, like telling him orally he would be given to the Soviets with graphic details, that should motivate him some, it still would be suicide

Blackadder2000

Post by Blackadder2000 » 11 Mar 2017, 21:05

I believe that Himmler was murdered. When he was captured, they searched him, and interrogated him. Yet they did not discover the cyanide capsule in his mouth? That's weird IMO

I'm sure some people would be interested in this book: "The Strange Death of Heinrich Himmler: A Forensic Investigation"

https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Death-He ... 0312289235

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 11 Mar 2017, 22:44

I know the daughter of the man from 74 security section who captured Himmler. His is the name on the arrest report. They did not know who he was, only that he probably wasn't who he claimed to be.

It waslt in the British interest to murder him. The British would have preferred to see him tried and executed.

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 12 Mar 2017, 04:39

Blackadder2000 wrote:I believe that Himmler was murdered. When he was captured, they searched him, and interrogated him. Yet they did not discover the cyanide capsule in his mouth? That's weird IMO
Something like that could have been missed during the search. Especially as the troops that detained Himmler did not initially know his true identity & importance. And how many other captives were they tasked with searching & questioning that day? That week? Some of them could have become complacent, if they were even trained and experienced in dealing with such matters in the first place.

Blackadder2000

Post by Blackadder2000 » 12 Mar 2017, 09:52

Sejanus wrote:
Blackadder2000 wrote:I believe that Himmler was murdered. When he was captured, they searched him, and interrogated him. Yet they did not discover the cyanide capsule in his mouth? That's weird IMO
Something like that could have been missed during the search. Especially as the troops that detained Himmler did not initially know his true identity & importance. And how many other captives were they tasked with searching & questioning that day? That week? Some of them could have become complacent, if they were even trained and experienced in dealing with such matters in the first place.
Himmler was one of the most notorious leaders of the Third Reich, I don't think he wouldn't be recognised immediately.
Also the allies knew that some of the nazi leaders used cyanide capsules to commit suicide. But you could be right of course.

It still would have been difficult for Himmler to hide the capsule in his mouth while being interrogated.

steve248

Post by steve248 » 12 Mar 2017, 21:31

A timetable of events leading to Himmler's suicide, using all available and different sources showing little conflict, can be found in "Himmler's Diary, 1945. A Calendar of Events leading to suicide" by myself and Peter Witte. Still available from amazon.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”