Was Kaminski assassinated?

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Andy H
Forum Staff

Was Kaminski assassinated?

Post by Andy H » 11 May 2002, 19:38

Has it been proved that he was assissinated or is it conjecture. Maybe an attempt to make his story more interesting rather than a mundane end by Polish guerilla's

:D Andy from the Shire

MaPen

Post by MaPen » 11 May 2002, 20:32

Kaminski was sentenced to death by a SS court on the 19th August 1944 and was shot immediatly after the "trial". The official version however was that he had been killed by partisans.

Since his trial was kept secret I doubt very much that there existed any documents from the trial.

best

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 12 May 2002, 13:34

Hi MaPen

Thanks for the reply.

I assume since the trial was secret Kaminski wasn't there and he was tried in his abscence. However if the trial was so secret and no papers were left to document it who supplied the original information that a secret trial had ben held.

Also the other people (Chief of Staff, Doctor & driver) who died with him in the car were just casualties of war.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 12 May 2002, 16:30

Cheshire Yeomanry wrote:Hi MaPen

Thanks for the reply.

I assume since the trial was secret Kaminski wasn't there and he was tried in his abscence. However if the trial was so secret and no papers were left to document it who supplied the original information that a secret trial had ben held.

Also the other people (Chief of Staff, Doctor & driver) who died with him in the car were just casualties of war.

Kaminski was invited to a meeting, and when he arrived with the Chief of Staff, Doctor and driver, they were all lined up and shot.

Researcher

Kaminksys Date of Birth?

Post by Researcher » 12 May 2002, 20:51

Does anyone know Kaminskys Date of Birth. I believe he was born in St. Petersburg.
Was the SS Court in Lodz, and is that execution date 19/8/1944 accurate?

Regards
Researcher

MaPen

Post by MaPen » 13 May 2002, 01:31

Hi everyone,

I must correct myself :oops:

Bronislaw (Mieczyslaw) Kaminski was born on 16.06.1899 in Witebsk.

On 19.08.1944 he was relieved of command and on 26.08.1944, under the pretext of important command-conference, he was summoned by Obergruppenführer von dem Bach-Zelewski in Lodz. He, along with his Chief of Staff, doctor and driver, reported in Lodz on 28.08.1944. The same day he was court martialed and shot probably on the night 28/29. 08.1944. His troops were told that he was killed by Polish Home Army in an ambush.

best

MaPen

AndyW

Post by AndyW » 13 May 2002, 10:28

As a footnote, by this time Bach-Zelewski's name was only "Erich von dem Bach".

He deleted the "Zelewski" (in 1941?), because this had a too "polish" sound.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 13 May 2002, 15:01

Thanks to all for clearing that up.

Babar

Post by Babar » 07 Aug 2005, 14:11

Does anybody wan't to theorize the real reason Bronislaw Kaminski was executed. The "offical" german version was that he was killed by partisans south of warsaw, but the reason he was summoned to germany was of course was the atrocities and plundering by RONA in warsaw, but this reason is very suspicious to me given that I believe it was Himmler who ordered the court matrial, and everybody knows how himmlers SS men conducted themselves in Warsaw. I was told it might be just because he was half polish on his fathers side, but this doesn't really make sense either given that alot of people considered "Volksdeutsche" were also of considerable polish lineage, which was known by the nazis, even Erich von dem bach was part polish of pomeranian origin was he not?

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 07 Aug 2005, 19:18

Here is the bio of Kaminski:
"Die Generale der Waffen-SS und der Polizei", Vol. 2,
by Andreas Schulz and Dieter Zinke,
available in September

DZ
Attachments
KAMINSKI, B..JPG
KAMINSKI, B..JPG (68.72 KiB) Viewed 3232 times

jarek_g

Kaminski

Post by jarek_g » 07 Aug 2005, 19:33

Hi guys,

A little about Kaminski:

Bronislaw (not Mieczyslaw) Kaminski was born 16. 06. 1899 (not 1896) in Witebsk region or same town. His father was polish origin and mother unknown - Mathew Cooper allows possibility, that Kaminski was Hebrew !!! after his mother [source: M. Cooper, The Phantom War, London 1979, s. 112]. In age 18 of years Kaminski undertook studies on Piotrograd’s Engineering College (Pietrogradskij Politechniczeskij Institut). During second year of studies (in 1918) applied voluntarily to Red Army and fought on different fronts of civil war. After end of war demobilized and returned on studies finishing Chemistry-Technological Institute in Piotrogrod (i.e. Petersburg). During studies and after them worked in Chemical Works „Respublika". In this time also got married and had four daughters. In 1935 Kaminski was excluded from Bolshevik Party under reproach „criticism of collectivization". In 1937 was arrested under reproach of participation in „Czajanovsk’s Counterrevolutionary Group", well-known also as „Worker’s Peasant Party". Kaminski performed judgment in Camp Shandrinsk, where worked as technologist at production of spirit. In 1941 was free of charge and canned to settle oneself in Lokot’, where undertook work in local alcohol distillery. His family in summer 1941 was evacuated far inside ZSRR, and he oneself was from October this of year substitute and right hand Konstantin P. Voskobojnik - head of local administration. After deaths of Voskobojnik, Kaminski took over management civilian and of military circle. From mobilized people on dependent oneself grounds and volunteers Kaminski created five regiment’s RONA Brigade, which driving activities contreguerilla on subsidiaries of German armies. Kaminski got lost in not explained to today circumstances, most likely, after judgment of court martial at night from 28 on 29 August 1944 r, was shot by Germen. In official documents Waffen SS figures as date of death 4 October 1944 .
But in personal paper Erich von dem Bach is note from 28 August 1944: Abends nach Litzmannstadt zur Standgerichtsitzung über Kaminski. [source: K. Jonca, Dziennik wojenny generała SS Ericha von dem Bacha (Erich von dem Bach’s war diary), „Acta Universitatis Vratislaviensis” 1987, t. 11, s. 235] Certain info Bach confirm 26 January 1946 in Nurnberg in interrogatory by Polish public prosecutor Jerzy Sawicki. Von dem Bach announced, that Kaminski, together with one's own staff, was shot at once after judgment of court martial.
Today already probably not confirm real circumstances of death Bronislaw Kaminski. In accessibility documents and publications appears at least several of dates. First date was 19 August 1944. Marek J. Kwiatkowski in book Tu mowi powstancza Warszawa… Dni powstania w audycjach Polskiego Radia i dokumentach niemieckich, (Here speaks insurgent's Warszawa… Days of uprising in broadcasts of Polish Radio and German documents), Warszawa 1994, s. 341, quote: Kaminski had to be called in to Litzmannstadt and there lost. On such day showed also Chief of Himmler’s Command Staff SS-Brigadeführer Ernst Rode, which 14 August 1946 to say: Execution performed oneself approximately between 15 - 20 August [source: Ludnosc cywilna w Powstaniu Warszawskim (Civilian Population in Varsav Uprising ), tom II, Warszawa 1974, s. 706.] But 30 August 1944 was recorded in telephone’s notebook of 9. Army: Cause Kamiński done.

Bestreg.
Jarek

Ryan81

Post by Ryan81 » 22 Sep 2007, 18:49

Kaminski got exactly what he deserved: a bullet in the back of his head. Even that was too good for him.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”