SS-Stubaf. Hans Joachim Güssow KL Sachsenhausen

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Georg_S
Forum Staff

SS-Stubaf. Hans Joachim Güssow KL Sachsenhausen

Post by Georg_S » 09 Feb 2006, 11:00

Hello all,

I wonder if someone can provide me more info on
SS-Sturmbannführer Hans Joachim Güssow
Dentist in KL Sachsenhausen
Born: 19.05.89
SS-Nr: 135798
First listed as known in 1940 then SS-Hstuf. and attached to the KL Sachsenhausen
maybe someone can give me more on this officer?

Thanks in advance

Georg

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 10 Feb 2006, 12:38

He appears in Oct 1944 Dal as attached to SS Abschnitt XIII He was Sturmbannführer der Reserve in the Waffen SS and was awarded the Kriegs verdienst Kreuz 2 mit Schwerter Party Nr 2671551 Born in Seehausen
Phil Nix

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 10 Feb 2006, 13:15

Hi Phil,m

Once again many thanks
this was new to me.

He must have held this position at the same time
as he was a dentist at KL Sachsenhausen.

Thanks again

Regards,

Georg

giselher

Re: SS-Stubaf Hans Joachim Güssow KL Sachsenhausen

Post by giselher » 29 May 2009, 02:50

Hi everybody,
according to the Volksbund database, Güssow died in Oct./Nov. 1946 in Ratzeburg obviously in British captivity.

His name appears in my grandfather's letters from Sachsenhausen a couple of times, obviously they were playing cards in the evenings with a group of medical officers.

I don't have a photo of him but only of his wife sitting at a tea table with other ladies.

I also have 2 postcards that he wrote out of British captivity in which he mentions that his wife was allowed to visit him a couple of times in Ratzeburg and that they, the way it looks, had a son Dieter Güssow of whom they had no info since the war ended.

Maybe there are descendants around who can post more info...

Best regards Tilman

waffen-IDF

Post by waffen-IDF » 15 Jun 2009, 10:37

W-SS Sbf.d.res:20.4.43 SS-Sanitatsamt

giselher

Post by giselher » 16 Sep 2010, 21:33

just found that Güssow is mentioned a couple of times in the book "The Venlo Incident" by S. Payne Best (special prisoner in Sachsenhausen from 1939 to 45) when he tells about his time in Sachsenhausen. Güssow was doing extensive work on his teeth, also made dentures. At one occasion it is mentioned that Güssow told Best that his house (where was it located?) was bombarded and that his whole household was destroyed.

Tilman

By the way: I read somewhere that his nickname was Jochen: Jochen Güssow.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 17 Sep 2010, 09:45

From another post.........
Max Williams wrote:Tilman,
Be a little wary over the book by Payne Best. It is not considered as the best study on the Venlo Incident and its aftermath. Both Stevens and Payne Best allegedly passed on important sensitive information under interrogation and in subsequent incarceration. I read a review of Payne Best's book many years ago where it was alleged that some scholars believed that some events in his book regarding the incident and his subsequent treatment were exagerrated or altered in order to play down his collaborative role and the way Schellenberg and his team easily fooled the British agents. Whether there is any substance in this, I do not know, but it has certainly clouded the academic value of his book which consequently should not be accepted on face value and requires alternative corroboration.
Max.

giselher

Post by giselher » 17 Sep 2010, 15:25

Hi Max, maybe right and the Payne Best book is really worth checking out more. Just concerning Güssow it is interesting to note that Best mentions Güssow more than once in his book whereas Güssow is normally not mentioned in any other literature because he was of so little importance. The mere fact that Best mentions him by name shows to me that they must have met in Sachsenhausen.

Best is writing, to me convincingly, that visits to the dentist were for him the only possibility to get out of the prison block for a change (other doctors came to the prison block regularly for a visit) and see something of the camp and that therefore he tried to see the dentist regularly.

He is also correctly locating the dentist's room in the camp hospital on the far end of R1 past the x-ray room.

Tilman

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 23 Jun 2019, 18:09

from SSO
Attachments
0500.jpg
042a
0500.jpg (8.68 KiB) Viewed 579 times
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Andrey
Host - ABR sections

Re: SS-Stubaf. Hans Joachim Güssow KL Sachsenhausen

Post by Andrey » 04 Jul 2019, 21:02

Another photo of him.

Andrey.
Attachments
Gussow Hans-Joachim Dr.med..jpg
Gussow Hans-Joachim Dr.med..jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 467 times

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”