Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

1st Division M-1917 helmet pair...

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general.
Hosted by John G & William Kramer.

1st Division M-1917 helmet pair...

Postby Mark in Cleveland, Tn. on 04 Feb 2013 02:52

Well,got this set on my office shelf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark in Cleveland, Tn.
United States

Re: 1st Division M-1917 helmet pair...

Postby John G. on 04 Feb 2013 13:52

Mark....the helmet on the left appears to be "1st Gas Regt./Bn." (I think that's the correct unit title....)...notice the differant background shape and the black painted "1".....1st Inf. would have a "Red" painted numeral.....they didn't subdue them then....and the shape and color matches the "Gas" unit emblem....

1st Gas Co./Regt./Bn. would be much scarcer than the Divisional helmet....both are equally nice for what they are, of course!
John G.
John G.
Forum Staff
United States

Postby Mark in Cleveland, Tn. on 04 Feb 2013 23:58

JohnG, I figured as such on the one on left. At first I was on the ....1st prototype of the 1st Division emblem. :roll: courtesy of a couple *helmet experts* over on USMF, but for the life of me could not find an actual pic of the insigna.
I am taking them down to a show thois weekend (9th) for possible trade, as the pair are in poor relic condition
Mark in Cleveland, Tn.
United States

Postby John G. on 05 Feb 2013 02:36

It's actually the "1st Gas & Flame Regt." ....... the patch is referanced on pg. 48 of "US Military Shoulder Patches- 4th edit. by J. Britton & G. Washington.
Good luck with them....
John G.
John G.
Forum Staff
United States

Return to Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria