Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

WW2 era China flag, or modern Taiwan?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general.
Hosted by John G & William Kramer.

WW2 era China flag, or modern Taiwan?

Postby Mark in Cleveland, Tn. on 20 Jun 2011 03:27

I have this flag, and I think it is Taiwan National flag,but a couple guys down Chattanooga way says it is WW2 Nationalist China.
Ok, it is 34" x 56", sewn *star* and blue field on a 2 piece red field . The base material is that old type cotton.wool blend(course,kind of itchy)lol!! found on US flags from WW2 era, like from the **Minuteman** flag here I also have.
2 grommets... No name of manufacture on bunting at all. (Bulldog,Valley Forge) etc.No markings.
Your opinion!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark in Cleveland, Tn.
United States

Re: WW2 era China flag, or modern Taiwan?

Postby John G. on 20 Jun 2011 13:42

Mark,
There's no way to date these exactly (unless marked otherwise) since the flag for Nationalist China/Taiwan is identical, as you know....so you can only go by the materials and construction. From the Photo, based on the bunting & gromets, I'd say this is a US made flag.....probably WW2 but no later than "early 1950s"......I've owned a few WW2 Chinese made Flags, most are very thin, printed, with corner ties or laces....even quality ones wouldn't normally have Gromets (pretty much US-only method of "mounting" until 1950s)....

Remember durning WW2 every Ralley or Bond Drive would have multipals of the "Allied Nations" Flags displayed....each included a National's Chinese Flag ......I'd bet this is one of them!:

I'd have no quams calling it a "WW 2 US made Chinese National Flag" (Nationalist China/Taiwan) made for "Bond Drives" and the like.

John
John G.
Forum Staff
United States

Re: WW2 era China flag, or modern Taiwan?

Postby Mark in Cleveland, Tn. on 20 Jun 2011 16:59

i agree with you. I knew there was no way it was foreign made(Mainland China)as it has all earmarks of WW2 era USA manufacture.
Mark in Cleveland, Tn.
United States

Return to Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria