Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

What am I looking at?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general.
Hosted by John G & William Kramer.

What am I looking at?

Postby William Kramer on 21 Oct 2011 03:43

Hello all,

I've been offered these and wanted to know if there is anything I should go after in this lot; I know very little on allied items and would appreciate your guidance.

Thank you!

William Kramer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
William Kramer
Forum Staff
United States

Re: What am I looking at?

Postby HaEn on 21 Oct 2011 03:59

The top looks like a well used seamanscap; the next one looks like an about 1800 marchaussee (military type police), and the last one has several dutch beret emblems , the lion with the sword and the word Nederland. Also a red white and blue ribbon bar that can be either french or dutch. I think it's a mix-match of small stuff accumulated through the years by an American service man. Very interesting, and perhaps some of the things are even valuable.
HN
HaEn
In memoriam
United States

Postby Laurence Strong on 21 Oct 2011 04:51

i think the Lion and Crowns are Belgian, there appear to be some Brit and South African insignia. Appear to be 3 Australian badges as well.
Laurence Strong
Financial supporter
Canada

Postby John G. on 21 Oct 2011 12:51

William,
The hat is some sort of "Steamship" (Merchant Marine, Ferry Boat, Cruise ship) hat....limited interest in most cases...
The French Kepi is a fairly modern Police low grade officers (not ORs) but little interest except to Police collectors....most of the small pins & badges are of little interest too, as most are postwar....BUT:

There is a pair of scarce US WW2 DIs (The winged skulls) which are Army Air Corps, there's also a silver pair of what appear to be WW 1 US Pilot's wings (pointed wings w/shield in center) which would be quite valueable if real, and I see a couple WW 1 era US Army Air Corps officers collar pins, not a pair, but singles are worth $25./30 each, and the French Pilot's badge would also be good, if it's original.

Most of this stuff you'll "Die with" collectorwise.....of little value or interest to "anyone" .....however, there are enough good items that if you could buy the lot for "say $100.00 +/-" or so....it would be worth it. (If the WW 1 Pilot's wings are real...you could up the offer to $200.00+/-) and still be "safe".

Would depend on the price IMO....
John G.
John G.
Forum Staff
United States

Postby John G. on 21 Oct 2011 17:35

William,
The Army Air Corps DIs (Distinctive Unit Insignia) "winged skulls" are for the 5th Bombardment Group which was based on Hawaii before and at the time of Dec. 7, 1941....There are 5 known original metal types, so maker is important to know for value....and any clutchback versions are restrikes (with very little value!)....pin back/screwback versions known. Even the "common" versions would be "pretty good" collectorwise (or for resale)....

My version of this info. is from "Distinctive Insignia of the US Army Air Forces 1924-1947" by Joseph M. Massaro.

There are a couple "decent"/potentially "good" items in the mix (WW 1 wings/US pins).....but alot of "almost unsaleable" 50s/60s/70s/80s stuff too . Would all depend on what the wants for he stuff IMO. I'd pay $50./100.00 for what I see....anymore and the WW 1 wings would have to be original (and they look TOO GOOD from the photo!)...
John G.

There are some "decent" British cap badges (Commonwealth/SA/Australian)....didn't mean to include them in the unsaleable catagory!
John G.
Forum Staff
United States

Postby HaEn on 23 Oct 2011 04:59

The two lions with the word Nederland are definitely Dutch, ( I used to wear one on my beret) in the Dutch army.
The Lions with the crown on top may indeed be Belgian.
Too bad I lost the the good one, moving to the U.S. The one I still have is just the lion without pin. It would be nice in my shadowbox;Waffen SS and Dutch army. ( even at 85 )
Oh well,
HN
HaEn
In memoriam
United States

Postby just on 25 Oct 2011 05:58

Hello Gentlemen
the visor cap is for SNCF: Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Français, french railway, civilian not military
the képi, I think, is a Garde Républicaine one
the 2 insignias with RF in flaming bomb (left) are for M1926 french Adrian helmet Infantry
cordially
Didier
just
France

Postby just on 25 Oct 2011 06:21

Hello
can you send pictures of the 3 insignias surrounded, with the back
and a picture of the shoulder boards
the N° 1 is for french Air Force pilot
thank you
cordially
Didier
just
France

Postby John G. on 25 Oct 2011 11:46

Shoulder boards are for US Coast Guard Warrant Officer WW2/1950s+. There are "other" pins, etc. here that would be of collector interest....and several "we'd need to see close ups and reverses....before we could tell much" ....
John G.
John G.
Forum Staff
United States

Postby A.C.E. van T. on 26 Mar 2012 23:56

The badge with the orange and the lion is Dutch.(hat)
There are 2 others with a lion (one in the middle and one at the top) are most likely also after WW2,but during WW2 they were also made in Great-Brittain for the Dutch Princess Irene Brigade.
It all depends what's on the back.
And they are rare to find,but sometimes you can be lucky.
I found a greatcoat belonging to a Dutch Marine serving with the Princess Irine Brigade which is Brittish made last year at a Flea market
A.C.E. van T.
Netherlands

Return to Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria