Polish Uniform Portraits and ID

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 05 Jul 2004, 07:01

sylvieK4 wrote:Were daggers issued to members of the Polish Army?
Yes, although they were less popular than swords in the army. It was only in 1920 that daggers started to gain recognition as part of Polish military men’s equipment. Their first acceptance as standard side arms was with the Navy. At this stage the daggers used were very much influenced by the Austrian design.

In 1924 a new Polish design was introduced. It was meant for use by officers of both the air forces and armored forces. As with the swords, the Borowski factory produced that largest quantity. Other makers also produced these daggers, however the names of most of these firms have been lost in the mists of time. All adhered to the basic pattern, however, there were minor differences in the embellishments.

Navy daggers typically had gold colored metal fittings, whereas the Army daggers were required to have silver colored metal fittings.

It was a tradition in the Polish Army to award the best students of officer’s schools an honorary dagger with an appropriate dedication engraved on the pommel.

The following dagger from my collection has no maker’s mark and was likely privately commissioned by an officer from a firm that is unknown to us.

The blade has the very faint inscription “Honor i Ojczyzna” (Honor and Fatherland)
Attachments
Kordzik II RP c.jpg
Kordzik II RP c.jpg (30.49 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
Kordzik II RP d.jpg
Kordzik II RP d.jpg (46.07 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
Kordzik II RP a.jpg
Kordzik II RP a.jpg (46.3 KiB) Viewed 4412 times

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 05 Jul 2004, 14:22

Fantastic information and photos, Antoni!! The ornamental work and engraving on the first sword you posted on page 10 of this thread is particularly striking.

I have not seen much information about Polish edged weapons before, particularly daggers. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!! :D

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 06 Jul 2004, 18:30

Musashi, thanks for sharing the family photos. Great portraits. :D

Another few "edged weapons" questions: On another online site, I found a reference to "officer and enlisted men swords". One of the portraits I posted above appears to show an enlisted man wearing a sword standing with a civilian.Did all enlisted men received swords? Was there an infantry enlisted man sword?

Here is the image of the enlisted man's sword found on the site mentioned above:

http://www.paulhavers.co.uk/swords.html

mietek

Post by mietek » 06 Jul 2004, 20:54

Hi.

Pics of the Polish bayonet (two pictures from the top it's german).
Manufacturer "perkun"

http://www.mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/galeria.html

mietek

PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 10 Jul 2004, 08:46

btt
Last edited by PolAntek on 12 Nov 2006, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 13 Jul 2004, 22:54

PolAntek, what a jolly good job ! :)

You did a GREAT work :)

now, if you had full uniform... anyway, I`m pretty much sure I wouldn`t resist putting it on ;)

P.S.

It`s funny to see how much the color changed after you cleaned the tunic.

Best regards.

PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 14 Jul 2004, 06:14

btt
Last edited by PolAntek on 12 Nov 2006, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

mark67

Post by mark67 » 14 Jul 2004, 14:52

There are some interesting color photos from 1939 which can be found on http://www.timelifepictures.com/ site. Hugo Jaeger made them BTW. PolAntek posted one on them but there are few more:
Marek

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 14 Jul 2004, 16:44

Thanks for the color photos, Marek. It is always good to see the original color of the uniforms, as it is to see the uniforms in their original setting.

Antoni, fantastic job on the uniform tunic! It is a good thing for history that there are people like you who are willing to put in the time and effort to do the conservation work necessary to preserve things like this for the next generations to see. :)

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 14 Jul 2004, 18:35

Hey guys, I remember somebody requested for colours of pennants by cavalry lances. Find the topic and I'll make some photos.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 14 Jul 2004, 20:57

Musashi wrote:
Hey guys, I remember somebody requested for colours of pennants by cavalry lances. Find the topic and I'll make some photos.
Yeah, that was in here.

I had asked about the color fields and piping on army visor caps - and what branch of the military each signified (e.g. infantry, artillery, tanks, motor, etc.). I was also interested to know which pennant colors matched each cavalry group.

If you have photos or another key to the color-coding, I would love to see it. :)

PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 15 Jul 2004, 03:27

mark67 wrote:There are some interesting color photos from 1939 which can be found on http://www.timelifepictures.com/ site. Hugo Jaeger made them
Hello Marek,

THANK YOU for the great photographs – and the link!! Wow - I did not know about these. It is absolutely fantastic to see more super rare colour photographs from this time period. Strangely, the POW pictures are credited as being taken at 12:00 a.m. (midnight?) Sept. 1st, 1939. WWII was yet to officially start some five hours later.

Nonetheless there are also other incredible colour pictures on this site – many evidently taken up to several weeks after Sept. 1st. In particular several phoos showing partially built Polish PZL P.37 “Los” bombers. This bomber’s outstanding design was on the cutting edge of military technology of the time – and production was part of the modernization program that Poland was just undertaking as funds were becoming available. But alas – too little too late.

Back to the POW pictures - one thing immediately stands out...

Some time ago it was discussed that the Germans may have required the removal of all Polish insignia from the uniforms – and hats in particular. No clear photographic evidence was presented - until now. There is no mistaking that all Polish eagle badges have been removed from the various hats pictured. And the uniforms are devoid of any badges as well – although these would not necessarily have always been worn in combat.

Marek - Thanks again for the excellent post. INCREDIBLE stuff!

mark67

Post by mark67 » 15 Jul 2004, 10:12

PolAntek wrote:

Marek - Thanks again for the excellent post. INCREDIBLE stuff!
Your welcome :D

Some comment to that collection - I know it almost 3 years now and I saw how Timepix changed photos description during that time, so please do not rely to much on them :wink:
Photos from Okecie are really nice - except Los there are another rarities like Wyzel or Czajka (export version of Karas). There are interesting set photos from Modlin as well.
And last but not least - my favourite - Polish armour - TKS, TK3, FT17, and Ursus wz 29.

Pozdrawiam,

Marek

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 15 Jul 2004, 14:53

PolAntek wrote:
Some time ago it was discussed that the Germans may have required the removal of all Polish insignia from the uniforms – and hats in particular.
This page from a German soldier's photo album shows Polish POWs with the cap eagles still in place. (Of course this is presumably around the time of their capture, and not in a POW camp.) The photo was posted by a gentleman on another forum along with a series of other pictures taken during the German assault on Gdansk/Danzig.
Attachments
Polish POWs with Cap Eagles in Tact.jpg
Polish POWs with Cap Eagles in Tact.jpg (31.77 KiB) Viewed 4270 times

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 15 Jul 2004, 17:28

the photos are of the Polish defenders of Westerplatte surrendering.... Thay have been widely reproduced....

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”