Polish Uniform Portraits and ID

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Treve

Re: Polish Uniform Portraits

Post by Treve » 09 Jul 2012, 09:28

Magnificent photographs.

bomberbeer

Post by bomberbeer » 07 Sep 2012, 04:32

Good Evening,
I believe this photo is from post WWI leading to WWII. The seated gentleman is my (deep breath) mother's-mother's-father's brother (up three, over one...). I believe his family name is Pieczak (it was on the mailbox in Chicago forever) and I have other reasons to believe they might be from Tuliszkow.

I have a few photos, let me start with the oldest first...The man on the right has long boots and a bayonet from the looks of it. The seated man has short boots but calf-wrappings. The man on the left is...um...the man on the left.

Can anyone confirm time frame or offer hints? they have no shoulder markings, no hats, no badges. And of course the photo has no writing on the back other than "Dad's brother (center)" in my grandmother's handwriting.
Uniforms006.jpg
Next, a group photo of a bunch of guys. The marking on the building is Compania/17 Kompanie. The thw gentlemen in the center, seated, have the collar markings (none of the regular guys do - i thought this was odd) of the Polish Army. The right plaque on the group is the White Eagle with what appears to be "19" to the left of the eagle's foot. The Left Plaque appears to be the red and white checkerboard marking of the Polish Air Force from between the wars (post 1922).
Uniforms007.jpg
Why are we always laying on the ground in these photos?
Finally (for tonight) we have a nice picture in some town after the annual "German-Russian Get Together 1944" held frequently in the backyards of Poland.
Uniforms008.jpg
"We gotta clean up before Mom and Dad get home! I told you not to invite those guys over ever again!"
Uniforms008.jpg (74.38 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
I'll post more tomorrow.

Thanks for your comments and hints on what to look for on the uniforms.

Dan

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 07 Sep 2012, 10:45

Hi Dan, to me it seems that the left soldier on the first image wears a unit number on his epaulettes, most likely 25.
Polish eagle and checker board in the 2nd photo is correct. But hence the caption on the wall is written in spanish and polish I suggest that the unit is part of the Dąbrowski-Bataillon figthing in the Spanish Civil War: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabrowski_Battalion
Building architecture also verify that this image is from Spain.

No idea about the last image but your statement "we have a nice picture in some town" isn´t appreciated. What´s nice in an image which shows only destruction?

bomberbeer

Post by bomberbeer » 08 Sep 2012, 05:07

Good Evening,
I have a few more photos, though these appear to be before and after WWII. First, the Mid-War years...
Uniforms002.jpg
Looks like a 3 and another mark on his epaulet.
Uniforms002.jpg (54.89 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
Uniforms003.jpg
Josef
Uniforms003.jpg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
The hand-written notes on the back (in Polish) have the same last name for the two people in the above photos.

I'll add another post in a moment...

bomberbeer

Post by bomberbeer » 08 Sep 2012, 05:10

Good Evening,
Here are a couple more photos from between WWI and WWII. I'm pretty sure they are the same person, though maybe a year apart. The family name on the back (Patrzykat) is an old name in our family if i go back 4-5 generations.
Uniforms005.jpg
Uniforms005.jpg (19.86 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
Uniforms004.jpg
Uniforms004.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
Next posting - the post-war years.

bomberbeer

Post by bomberbeer » 08 Sep 2012, 05:24

Good Evening,
Finally, the post war years. These could be Soviet era uniforms.
Uniforms001.jpg
Lesek, no date.
Uniforms001.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
Uniforms010.jpg
Lesek, dated 1966.
Uniforms010.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
The above 2 photos are likely of the same person, named Lesek Patrzykat (from the handwritten notes on the back). The style of uniform confused me. I first thought they were US or British style, but was corrected by someone who had older photos of a similar style (from her Grandfather). The first photo has a "edge cut style" where the photo was trimmed like many older Polish photos. So they could be Soviet style, which the date of the second photo suggests. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
Uniforms009.jpg
Dated 1954, note the emblem on the hat.
Uniforms009.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
The last photo, dated 1954, looks more like what I thought Soviet uniforms looked like. The emblem appears to be the traditional Poland Insignia, though we can't see any badges due to the style of photo.

I have a lot of translating to do...

Sadly, this is it for the 'military' type photos. There are many (many...many) photos of family members in Poland and France which will require other sources and details. Thankfully, I live near Chicago, home of the Polish Genealogical Society of America.

I've got another 2 photos but they are most likely NOT from Poland. The first is of a Master Sergeant from the 8th Army Air Corps and another of a Sailor (no markings, no notes). So, without going off topic, if you want to see them for your collection let me know and i'll send email somewhere.

Trackhead M2

Post by Trackhead M2 » 08 Sep 2012, 15:48

[quote="bomberbeer"]Good Evening,
Finally, the post war years. These could be Soviet era uniforms.
Uniforms001.jpg
Uniforms010.jpg
Dear bb,
I would be surprised to see these as early soviet era uniforms, they look too sharp. I know the Polish uniforms were always crisp. The neckties suggest a time well after Stalin.
Strike Swiftly,
TH-M2

henryk

Post by henryk » 08 Sep 2012, 18:14

The last photo, dated 1954, looks more like what I thought Soviet uniforms looked like. The emblem appears to be the traditional Poland Insignia, though we can't see any badges due to the style of photo.
There is no crown on the Eagle, the Communist style. Although as discussed in a response to a post of mine,an eagle without a crown was used as an alternative to a crowned eagle in a free Poland.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 09 Sep 2012, 14:31

I´m curious about the spelling of those names, in polish it would rather be Józef and Leszek. Would like to see the backside of this images.

sobel

Post by sobel » 10 Sep 2012, 14:06

Hi all , just stumbled on this thread and would like to make a request, is there anyone who may have a photo of Major Ludomir Tarkowski of the 3rd Carpathian rifles that fought at Monte Cassino and who was killed there. He is buried at the Polish War cemetry there
thanks

Alex K

FeatsOfStrength

Post by FeatsOfStrength » 18 Sep 2012, 20:59

Here's a photograph of my Grandfather (bottom right) from what I've gathered he was an officer in the 1 P.szwol Cavalry Regiment, this photograph was taken in 1938. Not long after the invasion of Poland his father who was a land owner was executed and his brother died in combat and he fled and joined the Polish Free Corps.

Billy

Post by Billy » 19 Sep 2012, 06:01

Beautiful photos. I have recently been researching Polish Navy uniforms of the 1939 time period and I've found most of what I was looking for. But does anyone know what the Polish Navy officer's working uniform looked like? The everyday uniform I mean, for when formality is not necessary. For example, U.S. Navy officers in WWII had a khaki cotton long-sleeved shirt and khaki cotton trousers for regular working wear on board ship for more comfort than could be had with the heavy double-breasted suit jacket with gold buttons. Surely the Polish Navy had some kind of officer's working uniform. Many thanks to whomever can answer this puzzling question.

Halibutt

Post by Halibutt » 06 May 2014, 09:49

Billy wrote:Beautiful photos. I have recently been researching Polish Navy uniforms of the 1939 time period and I've found most of what I was looking for. But does anyone know what the Polish Navy officer's working uniform looked like? (...) Surely the Polish Navy had some kind of officer's working uniform. Many thanks to whomever can answer this puzzling question.
In short: you already see the pictures. :)

Let me explain. Look for British WWI uniforms and you'll get the picture. In short, after WWI Poland did not have recent navy traditions of its' own, hence it adopted British-style uniforms. Their uniforms included:
  1. round navy blue cap (white for summer uniform)
  2. Navy blue jacket with turn-down collar, gold sleeve and shoulder insignia and golden buttons
  3. Long navy-blue trousers (white for summer uniform)
  4. Navy-blue overcoat (two rows of buttons)
  5. Navy-blue coat (two rows of buttons, shoulder straps)
  6. Black shoes (yellow or white in the summer)
  7. white shirt and a black tie
  8. Black belt
  9. brown gloves
That's about it. Interestingly, initially the navy officers did not have a full gala uniform at all, which led to bizarre situations when uniformed Polish officers were meeting with peacock-like full-gala Brits or French officers. Because of that in 1927 the officers were issued a short cutlass, a year later a full gala uniform was also added, with black Nelson-style hat and a navy-blue frock with golden epaulettes. Lastly, in 1935 or 1936 a mess dress was added to the set, also based on British uniforms, with a half-tail and tailcoat in either white or navy blue.

You can see a picture HERE

Marocma

Post by Marocma » 28 Jan 2015, 20:27

Hello,
I am hoping that someone can tell me a little about this uniform. It is my husband' grandfather. We believe he died in 1939 although we do not have any information on him other than his name. Any information would be appreciate as we try to find out more about him.
JAN_SA_1.jpg
JAN_SA_1.jpg (29.3 KiB) Viewed 2831 times

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 29 Jan 2015, 02:07

Looks like Senior Constable of Polish State Police:
http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option= ... esult=2011

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”