Domobrani vehicle transport

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
roknic

Domobrani vehicle transport

Post by roknic » 06 Jan 2014, 02:54

I would like to get an idea what kind of vehicles would be used to transport Domobrani troops. I'm imagining an ideal vehicle would be armored, with eye slits to allow gunfire from the vehicle during an attack. Would that have been unrealistic in Croatia in WWII? The only pix I've seen of them, they were on foot. Perhaps long distances were traversed by rail, then the soldiers were marched to their ideal locale. Does anyone know? I just checked a Wiki page about military vehicles in WWII I didn't seem to see anything like the ideal vehicle I described above.

Bill Murray

Re: Domobrani vehicle transport

Post by Bill Murray » 06 Jan 2014, 03:08

Hi roknik:

This will not help much, but it was in my document file so I will post it here.

Bill
Attachments
Domobrani_kamion 0114.jpg

zastava128

Re: Domobrani vehicle transport

Post by zastava128 » 12 Apr 2014, 10:07

Again a late reply, but in case you're still reading:

The Domobrani very likely had no armoured transporters whatsover. The only such vehicles in Croatia were a handful of armoured trucks (Cro. "oklopni samovoz", sometimes called "Vomag"), but these were used by the Ustaše.

Croatia *may* have received between 11-15 SdKfz 251 halftracks in mid-1944, but this is all hypothetical since
a) we don't know whether the vehicles were delivered at all
b) whether they were operational
c) were they used by Ustaše or Domobrani

As for soft-skinned vehicles, the entire armed forces of Croatia at peak strength had less vehicles than a single German infantry division (!). I haven't seen any attempt to make a list of them, but they did include Mercedes, Fiat, Krupp, Renault and Magirus trucks (and probably others), various civilan cars (mostly German and a few Italian) plus a handful of specialized vehicles such as the Schwimmwagen. They also had Motoguzzi motorcycles.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”