Domobran Uniform Alterations

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Sodium Phosphate

Domobran Uniform Alterations

Post by Sodium Phosphate » 24 Jun 2007, 07:07

Hey, I’ve got a question with respect to the Croatian WW2 Domobran uniform.

The Independent State of Croatia in WW2 was established shortly after the Nazi invasion of Yugoslavia. The Domobran home-guard army was set up about the same time – I believe the same day as the Independent State. The Domobran uniform – as I know it – follows the old Austro-Hungarian military tradition. It featured a jacket/trench coat that looked a lot like the one worn by A-H soldiers in WW1. Also, the Domobran field hat closely resembled the A-H one (i.e. it had a rim, a tall crown, buttons on the front, etc.). I’m not too sure, but didn’t the Nazi’s supply this uniform? If so, it must have taken a while for the Domobran to have these A-H-looking uniforms issued.

My question is what was the Domobran wearing before this period? Were they wearing the standard Yugoslav uniform? The one that reflected the Serbian military tradition (i.e. peakless hat)?

Thank you in advance, people! :wink:

crown&glory

Post by crown&glory » 27 Jun 2007, 21:55

The Domobranstvo wore any available uniforms. In the first weeks they wore royal Yugoslav uniforms, often modified to some extent; the original Domobranstvo uniforms were introduced in May 1941, but it took a long time for most of the officers and men to get them, in fact at all times other uniforms were worn as well, most notably German M43 (towards the end of the war). There are photographs showing Domobranstvo wearing ex-Yu uniforms even in 1945.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Domobran Uniform Alterations

Post by Ivan Ž. » 20 Jan 2016, 19:43

Sodium Phosphate wrote:The Domobran home-guard army was set up about the same time – I believe the same day as the Independent State. The Domobran uniform – as I know it – follows the old Austro-Hungarian military tradition. It featured a jacket/trench coat that looked a lot like the one worn by A-H soldiers in WW1. Also, the Domobran field hat closely resembled the A-H one (i.e. it had a rim, a tall crown, buttons on the front, etc.). I’m not too sure, but didn’t the Nazi’s supply this uniform?
I second this question. It's an old topic, so I'm hoping that perhaps some of the newer members have any firm info on this, especially the cap. It does look like the Austro-Hungarian one. Did they indeed use the old Austrian caps, or were they in fact newly-made, specifically for the Domobrans? (And, if known, who made them?)

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

Cassius29

Re: Domobran Uniform Alterations

Post by Cassius29 » 07 May 2016, 11:01

The Domobrani in very beginning wore Army uniforms. Reold Royal Yugoslav uniforms with Croatian flag insignia. Slowly alterations were made to these ex-Army uniforms. Replacing the standup collar with a fall-down one. Either in a grey-green color or dark "bottle green", same with the shoulder boards. The cap was replace with the Bergmutze in grey-green wool to match. But there are also examples of no really no alteration done and wore it with NDH insignia. There was one pattern of uniform uniform the Domobrani had made. The M-41 uniform. This was made from a grey wool very similar in color to what the AH troops used in WWI. The cut was very similar to the German M-36 uniform. The tunic had the same pocket design as the German one but the pockets pleats were inverted. And the collar was also "bottle green" or just plain grey as the tunic. Also the same color for the shoulder boards. But supply and demand were hard so not all Domobrani were issued the M-41. Mostly the old Yugoslav Army uniforms would be used. And of course towards the end of the war a lot of German M-43 uniforms were issued. But that's a different topic.
Attachments
ndh-uniform9.jpg
ndh-uniform9.jpg (84.53 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
ndh-uniform11.jpg
ndh-uniform1.jpg
ndh-uniform1.jpg (71.32 KiB) Viewed 1615 times

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”