Abwehrstelle Bucharest

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
timisoso

Re: Abwehrstelle Bucharest

Post by timisoso » 19 Mar 2012, 01:14

Popp-Köhler wrote:I am currently waiting for the CNSAS to complete the file processing they have identified as pertaining to my grandfather. 230-plus pages, it would appear. Hope to have it in hand in another 60 days. I hope to have it translated in short order and look forward to sharing anything of historical interest.
As far I know, the POW in Romania have meet the 'benefits' of Romanian's Gulag.
A list of the 'politics' you can find here:

http://retrocedari.com/lista-detinutilo ... era-a.html

or

http://86.125.17.36/Fise%20matricole%20 ... /index.php

Popp-Köhler

Post by Popp-Köhler » 25 Apr 2012, 05:02

pagone wrote:Hello,

I am fascinated by these posts. I have been trying to research my father-in-law, now deceased, who may have been an Abwehr officer. He was put in EPW camp in what was Czechoslovakia and released in 1949. I have only been able to confirm his facts after he returned to Germany in 1949. I would be interested in knowing if you could share with me your contact for research with the German Red Cross. Many thanks.
Sorry for the delayed response. Have been taking a breather from the research. Would be more than happy to share any resources I have come across. The best approach is to pursue multiple angles; DRK, various archives such as ITS-Arolsen, and the Hoover Institute. Also check out the archives in the US at Ft. Meade. If someone was Abwehr, it is likely they were debriefed by US or Allied intelligence.

I actually found the least amount of information via the DRK, but that of course can vary case by case.

Helen Shapira

Post by Helen Shapira » 23 Jul 2014, 05:45

As I am a translator working in Vienna, Austria, I am interested in finding out more about my parents, now deceased. Pls help finding info on my father P. Gavrilescu/Galidescu born 1913,Galati, Romania, officer at Center No. 1 in Romanian Abwehr Suceava Cernauti (from 1 jan 1941 to 1944), then POW in Berlin Oranienburg, Dollersheim, Rossauer Kaserne and Landesgericht Vienna Austria till 1945, from 1947 in Romanian prisons Jilava, Gherlea and labor camp Danube-Black Sea Channel. I read his CNSAS file in Bucharest, however, there is little info on his activity in liaising with British and German Abwehr counterparts. Did you have access to the files at Military Archive in Pitesti? How long did it take to get answer from DRK and Bad Arolsen archives? Many thanks for the interesting posts.

Popp-Köhler

Post by Popp-Köhler » 03 Aug 2014, 05:49

Helen Shapira wrote:As I am a translator working in Vienna, Austria, I am interested in finding out more about my parents, now deceased. Pls help finding info on my father P. Gavrilescu/Galidescu born 1913,Galati, Romania, officer at Center No. 1 in Romanian Abwehr Suceava Cernauti (from 1 jan 1941 to 1944), then POW in Berlin Oranienburg, Dollersheim, Rossauer Kaserne and Landesgericht Vienna Austria till 1945, from 1947 in Romanian prisons Jilava, Gherlea and labor camp Danube-Black Sea Channel. I read his CNSAS file in Bucharest, however, there is little info on his activity in liaising with British and German Abwehr counterparts. Did you have access to the files at Military Archive in Pitesti? How long did it take to get answer from DRK and Bad Arolsen archives? Many thanks for the interesting posts.
DRK and Bad Arolsen responses were relatively quick. Don't forget the Hoover Institution as a possible source as well. I did not acquire any access or data from the archives in Pitesti. The most difficult and time consuming document to procure was the file from CNSAS, partly because my last name matches neither my grandfather's family name nor his alias name.

DKHande

Post by DKHande » 01 Nov 2014, 20:42

Dear Popp-Köhler,
I am interested in your initial post because my paternal grandmother was born in northern Bukowina, then a province of the Austrian Empire, but between 1919 and 1939 it was part of Roumania. Her maiden name was Popp, ethnic German, and there were a few people with that surname in northern Bukowina around Czernowitz (now Chernivtsi). I have a bit of information that may help you with your family history. If you would like to exchange information, please let me know.
DK Hande

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”