Need help identifying an Ustasha (Family member).

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Larry D.

Re: Ivica Brkljačić

Post by Larry D. » 23 Nov 2011, 00:48

A very professional and thorough analysis, Dr. Eisvogel, and one that will serve present and future researchers well. I have always thought from the start that the opposing sides would never leave these unfortunate incidents alone and would massage and embellish them for their own propaganda purposes. Take Jasenovac for instance. For decades, Belgrade and the Holocaust people insisted 400,000 was the correct figure, while Croatian historians during the FranjoTudjman government said 65,000. But like you said, many if not most of the atrocities did happen as I was able to corroborate most of them in the German records, especially in the Kasche Botschaft files as well as those of Glaise von Horstenau’s office. And those are just the ones the Germans knew about. Researchers are also aware of the atrocities committed by the Chetniks, but the war crimes of the Partisans are still largely unknown outside of post-1991 Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia and the overseas émigré communities.

Thanks again for your research’s guide book to these critically important collections and where they can be found. I am now too old to come over there again myself, but I hope others will seek out this subject for future work that will also be published in English.

L.

Eliza

Post by Eliza » 23 Nov 2011, 18:25

Great post, Dr Eisvogel! This is very helpful. I plan to check it out on Friday, I'll keep you posted! :)

Eliza

Post by Eliza » 02 Dec 2011, 00:01

Dr Eisvogel wrote:I believe he was, but I can't vouch for it. You see, Jurica Brkljačić was an NCO, then promoted to zastavnik and finally fled to Lika, where he joined the križari. He was killed at the end of 1945. Look at:
Ivica Mataija: Križari na gospićkom području 1945.-1950., page 212 => http://hrcak.srce.hr/index.php?show=cla ... ezik=27518
Jurica Brkljačić was born in 1922 and was Ivica's brother. A bit of trivia that you might find interesting.

papa hausser

Re: Need help identifying Ustasha Officer. (Family member).

Post by papa hausser » 28 Jan 2012, 19:38

Hello to all,

i am searching also for informations about a family member. in fact about my grandfather. his name was kresimir milas "centic" and the only informations i have are that he was arrested on the isle lipari in italy before the second world war as a member of the ustasa. i hope that anybody knows something about him. maybe which function he had etc.

best regards,

papa hausser

kiseli

Post by kiseli » 28 Jan 2012, 21:29

papa hausser wrote:Hello to all,

i am searching also for informations about a family member. in fact about my grandfather. his name was kresimir milas "centic" and the only informations i have are that he was arrested on the isle lipari in italy before the second world war as a member of the ustasa. i hope that anybody knows something about him. maybe which function he had etc.

best regards,

papa hausser
born 06.01.1901, podbabje,imotski,peasant. arrived in lipari 12.07.1934, rang "carkar",
"satnija 7", "roj 4"

papa hausser

Post by papa hausser » 28 Jan 2012, 21:42

thank you very much, but rang carkar (vojnicar) can not be true, because he was a pre-war ustasa and also on the isle of lipari with the ustasa HQ. furthermore he was over 40 years old so the rang type can not be carkar. podbablje is also wrong because he was born in zmijavci.

need to say that i know the source of your information. it is an yugoslavian communist source in which after every ustasa name standed "zemljoradnik" (peasant) :milwink:
Last edited by papa hausser on 29 Jan 2012, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 29 Jan 2012, 01:05

Kiseli and papa hausser,

it would be nice if either one or both of you would state the source in question, in case some of our other members are following this thread.

Thanks,

G.

papa hausser

Post by papa hausser » 29 Jan 2012, 01:21

Unfortunately i forgot the exact name of the book, but i remeber that it was published in the 70's in sfr yugoslavia in 3 issues. It should be a lexicon with all ustasa members, their birth dates and their profession. accicdentally after nearly every name stand as profession peasant. :D sorry for my english, hope it is clear now.

I just want to make clear that my intention was not to compromise kiseli's source, but i read this long years ago in a book which i would not treat like a serious source.
Last edited by papa hausser on 29 Jan 2012, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 29 Jan 2012, 01:28

papa hausser wrote:Unfortunately i forgot the exact name of the book, but i remeber that it was published in the 70's in sfr yugoslavia in 3 issues. It should be a lexicon with all ustasa members, their birth dates and their profession. accicdentally after nearly every name stand as profession peasant. :D sorry for my english, hope it is clear now.
OK. Do you know for certain he was not a farmer?

Cheers,

G.

papa hausser

Post by papa hausser » 29 Jan 2012, 01:30

Yes. And i also know for certain he was not born in Podbablje.

kiseli

Post by kiseli » 29 Jan 2012, 09:44

source is : Arhiv Jugoslavije,Fond:Ministarstvo unutrasnjih poslova,Kut. 33 (copy in my private possession)

You can contact Croatian State Archive
http://www.arhiv.hr/arhiv2/index.htm

papa hausser

Post by papa hausser » 31 Jan 2012, 18:23

Today i got some news about it: In the book "U temelju kamen" written by Godana Turic stands that he was a "Casnik", member of the Usatasa movement, and well knowned pre war emigrant.

deepbluezg

Post by deepbluezg » 06 Feb 2012, 22:12

I dont know if Ivica had brother but my granpa Jelka Brkljacic (who lived as child with her uncle Jere) told me that lot of children of him died very young. Because it he sent Ivica to be a priest! Him mother was sister of first croatian actor Sotosek Franjo. He has an cousin also named Ivica Brkljacic (brother of Dragica) who was in Ustashe zdrug un Gospic!
I hope I help you ;)

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 06 Feb 2012, 22:59

deepbluezg wrote:I dont know if Ivica had brother but my granpa Jelka Brkljacic (who lived as child with her uncle Jere) told me that lot of children of him died very young. Because it he sent Ivica to be a priest! Him mother was sister of first croatian actor Sotosek Franjo. He has an cousin also named Ivica Brkljacic (brother of Dragica) who was in Ustashe zdrug un Gospic!
I hope I help you ;)
Hi deepbluezg,

so you are saying that Ivica Brkljačić's mother is not Satošek, but Sotošek?

This is the photo of Franjo Sotošek (born in 1897), taken in 1925.
http://www.krznaric.net/photoalbum/disp ... fullsize=1

Would you happen to know, if the Sotošek family is of Slovenian descent?

What does it mean "first Croatian actor"?

Best regards,
Eisvogel

P.S. Eliza, thank you on the additional information posted.

Eliza

Post by Eliza » 19 Feb 2012, 15:01

deepbluezg wrote:I dont know if Ivica had brother but my granpa Jelka Brkljacic (who lived as child with her uncle Jere) told me that lot of children of him died very young. Because it he sent Ivica to be a priest! Him mother was sister of first croatian actor Sotosek Franjo. He has an cousin also named Ivica Brkljacic (brother of Dragica) who was in Ustashe zdrug un Gospic!
I hope I help you ;)
Thank you for the info. Your grandmother was also telling my dad about Ivica, that's how I came to know about him in the first place. :)
Dr Eisvogel wrote:Hi deepbluezg,

so you are saying that Ivica Brkljačić's mother is not Satošek, but Sotošek?

This is the photo of Franjo Sotošek (born in 1897), taken in 1925.
http://www.krznaric.net/photoalbum/disp ... fullsize=1

Would you happen to know, if the Sotošek family is of Slovenian descent?

What does it mean "first Croatian actor"?

Best regards,
Eisvogel

P.S. Eliza, thank you on the additional information posted.
According to this site, Franjo was born in 1881. He played in 3 motion pictures. This is so great, because I'm a huge film fan. :wink:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1032837/

But, according to this site, he was born in 1880 and in 1897.

http://imehrvatsko.net/namepages/view/f ... me-sotosek (scroll down)
http://imehrvatsko.net/profile/franjo_sotosek_1897

Apparently, the Sotošek's are from Zagreb. But, when you google the surname, the sites that come up are Slovenian.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”