Hungarian Wehrmacht volunteer by the name of Szelagy

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
TedjeX

Hungarian Wehrmacht volunteer by the name of Szelagy

Post by TedjeX » 23 Feb 2014, 00:00

Hello,
I am looking for any information about a Hungarian Wehrmacht Volunteer during WW2.The last name is Szelagy.I do not not have a first name,nor a birthday.I have a guess that he would be in the Wehrmacht occupying The Netherlands.He was with his troops in Holland and deserted the troops in late 1944.He had a hiding place and shelter in Voorschoten,NL.Most likely he was murdered by the resistance on December 5, 1944.This info comes out of a book that is in my possession.The body was never identified or found.No reports whatsoever on this Hungarian volunteer in the Wehrmacht
Any info would be very welcome.Maybe there are still relatives in any shape, like cousins,grandchildren,uncle,s aunts,etc.
Thanx,

Ted.

gyuresz

Re: Hungarian Wehrmacht volunteer by the name of Szelagy

Post by gyuresz » 23 Feb 2014, 08:32

Hello Ted,

I do not have any informations about your soldier, but "Szelagy" seems to me like a misspelling of "Szilágyi". The latter is a more common Hungarian last name, while I have never seen the name "Szelagy". Maybe you should check your available sources again for a "Szilágyi".

Good luck,
György

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 23 Feb 2014, 10:26

Last name is sure a misspelling of "Szilágyi", not uncommon at the time when people were confrontated with foreign names.
I don´t understand the connection of this hungarian WWII soldier to the Austria-Hungary aera?

gyuresz

Post by gyuresz » 23 Feb 2014, 12:46

Well, Ted seems to have posted in the wrong section of the forum ("Other Eras" > "Austria-Hungary"). But do not blame him alone for that: since this section of the forum recently was renamed from "The Great War" to "Other Eras", it is not clear at all that this section still mostly deals with WWI, and that the chapter "Austria-Hungary" does not refer to Austria _and_ Hungary in general, but only to the Austro-Hungarian Empire up to 1918. Maybe the old name - "Great War" - should be restored for avoiding similar misunderstandings, or the undersection should be renamed to "Austro-Hungarian Empire"?

György

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 23 Feb 2014, 13:04

gyuresz wrote:But do not blame him alone for that: since this section of the forum recently was renamed from "The Great War" to "Other Eras"
That is not correct, the category called "The Great War" containing a few sections dealing with only that topic was merged with the "Other Eras" category that included among other things Pre-WW1 history and for the new category only "Other Eras" made any sense.
I've however now added "1867–1918" to the section name to help avoid confusion.

/Marcus

gyuresz

Post by gyuresz » 23 Feb 2014, 13:06

Thank you, Marcus. The new title is more unambiguous.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 23 Feb 2014, 18:14

Thank you both for the update! I thought mabye the soldier in question also fought in WWI, what might be possible.

Regards,
Roman

TedjeX

Post by TedjeX » 25 Feb 2014, 13:12

Thank you all for your replies in this case,I am deeply sorry to have posted in the wrong section.I was misled by the word Hungary,coz my soldier is Hungarian.Is there any way to post this topic in the right section?And which might that section be?
Thanx for the tip about misspelling the name.That could help me in finding this soldier somewhere.

Greetz
Ted

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 25 Feb 2014, 13:34

Hi Ted,
for us as simple forum members it´s not possible to move your thread, Marcus (and I think also the other guys from the forum staff) can.
Don´t worry about it that you posted in a wrong subforum, see it as learning process.
Next time you´ll keep an eye on it where to post ;-)

gyuresz

Post by gyuresz » 25 Feb 2014, 22:16

TedjeX wrote:Thank you all for your replies in this case,I am deeply sorry to have posted in the wrong section.I was misled by the word Hungary,coz my soldier is Hungarian.Is there any way to post this topic in the right section?And which might that section be?
Thanx for the tip about misspelling the name.That could help me in finding this soldier somewhere.

Greetz
Ted
Hello Ted,

Apparently the whole thread has actually been moved to the correct section by the moderators. Have a look at the header of this page, it is now telling "Axis History > Minor Axis Nations". However, the thread is also still listed at its original location under "Other Eras > Austria-Hungary 1867-1918", so it can be accessed both ways.

Greetings,
György

TedjeX

Post by TedjeX » 01 Mar 2014, 23:23

Thanks for telling me
Greetz,
Ted

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”