sublocotent Constantin Nicolescu

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
keith A

sublocotent Constantin Nicolescu

Post by keith A » 07 Jul 2014, 11:21

I have just read excerpts from his campaign diary. Can any one give me details of his life and military career? I know he served with the 3rd Mountain in the Caucasus campaign 1942-43, at the end of which having commanded the reconnaissance company and served on the divisional staff he was sent home to instruct at the infantry school in Sibiu. Did he see action later in the was (1944-45?). He was decorated with the Order of Michael the Brave (3rd Class). I resume he was born around 1920 and survived the war.

regards

Keith

Sid Guttridge

Re: sublocotent Constantin Nicolescu

Post by Sid Guttridge » 07 Jul 2014, 12:22

Hi keith A,

As a matter of interest, where did you come across these diary quotes, which are of interest to me. The Romanian mountain divisions were reckoned the best of the Romanian infantry and 2nd and 3rd Mountain Divisions were probably the best of the mountain infantry and played a significant role in the Crimea and Kuban.

Sid.

keith A

Re: sublocotent Constantin Nicolescu

Post by keith A » 08 Jul 2014, 19:10

Here you are , Sid

http://www.worldwar2.ro/arr/?language=ro&article=104

I am a novice at this too. The Romanians keep appearing in supporting roles during WW2 so I decided to look at them closer. They were heavily involved in the battle of Budapest in 1945 which sparked my interest. Since then I have followed up the generally disparaging comments about them on the Eastern Front and found these are used mostly by historians to explain the German Army's immense tactical and humanitarian failures at Stalingrad and elsewhere. The Romanians appear to be eager to impress the Germans but less convinced of the Third Reich's motives. I do however remember Evelyn Waugh comments about Romanian officers...“in the Romanian Army no one beneath the rank of Major is permitted to use lipstick.”

regards

Keith

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”