German field Gear suggestions!

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Wisner

German field Gear suggestions!

Post by Wisner » 22 Aug 2016, 18:43

Hi, I am contemplating buying either the

At the front field gear set
http://www.atthefrontshop.com/product_p/ggpkgrf.htm

Or the hessen antique set and replacing some of the items with at the front items:
http://www.hessenantique.com/German_Sol ... epd001.htm
http://www.hessenantique.com/German_Sol ... epd003.htm

I am essentially buying all of my gear and I need some help deciding on which to buy.
My main questions are:
1. Which is better or should another party be chosen
2. Will items I buy from different stores still be compatable with the rest of the gear (example if I buy the A frame and straps from hessen antique can I still use the messkit from At the front)
3. What good deals there are on items or if another venodr is better for the complete kit.
4. Durability of above stated items

Thank you so much!

fusilier1944

Re: German field Gear suggestions!

Post by fusilier1944 » 25 Aug 2016, 04:16

Hi Wisner, welcome to an expensive hobby! While I can't provide as much guidance as your intended unit's authenticity officer would, I'll make a few observations.

Most everything is compatible across vendors. Remember these are reproductions of equipment from one of the most standardized military organizations in history. There will be limits though.

I purchased the a-frame package from Hessen. The mess kit they included was post war and not period correct. I have not use for it. The a-frame and bag are ok. The Zelt is Sturm made and is not compatible with my original Zelbahns. Buttons don't line up & sizes are off. It is also not the correct fabric and requires waterproofing. Knowing this though the cost is not bad for what you get.

I am partial to shopping with AtTheFront, 1944militaria, Kelsmilitary, and I am a member of Hessens Premium member club. Currently with their club ($29/year) you get 10% off every order, free shipping when you spend $150, and $9 shipping on smaller orders. That's in the US, international buyers have it different. It's on their site. If you are planning on spending more than $290 with them in the next year it is worth buying the membership. Plus you get their regular discounts on top of that (like the current 25% off $99+ orders in August).

You have to be careful what you buy and your unit can provide better guidance (eg hessen sells e-tool carriers with the buckle sewn on the right as opposed to the left, which makes it difficult to get at when worn). Lots of low cost stuff is available these days that wasn't around 10 -15 years ago. The texled stuff from ATF is expensive but will last longer than low cost Chinese stuff off eBay.

Hope this helps and good luck with your shopping!

Wisner

Re: German field Gear suggestions!

Post by Wisner » 25 Aug 2016, 23:52

fusilier1944 wrote:Hi Wisner, welcome to an expensive hobby! While I can't provide as much guidance as your intended unit's authenticity officer would, I'll make a few observations.

Most everything is compatible across vendors. Remember these are reproductions of equipment from one of the most standardized military organizations in history. There will be limits though.

I purchased the a-frame package from Hessen. The mess kit they included was post war and not period correct. I have not use for it. The a-frame and bag are ok. The Zelt is Sturm made and is not compatible with my original Zelbahns. Buttons don't line up & sizes are off. It is also not the correct fabric and requires waterproofing. Knowing this though the cost is not bad for what you get.

I am partial to shopping with AtTheFront, 1944militaria, Kelsmilitary, and I am a member of Hessens Premium member club. Currently with their club ($29/year) you get 10% off every order, free shipping when you spend $150, and $9 shipping on smaller orders. That's in the US, international buyers have it different. It's on their site. If you are planning on spending more than $290 with them in the next year it is worth buying the membership. Plus you get their regular discounts on top of that (like the current 25% off $99+ orders in August).

You have to be careful what you buy and your unit can provide better guidance (eg hessen sells e-tool carriers with the buckle sewn on the right as opposed to the left, which makes it difficult to get at when worn). Lots of low cost stuff is available these days that wasn't around 10 -15 years ago. The texled stuff from ATF is expensive but will last longer than low cost Chinese stuff off eBay.

Hope this helps and good luck with your shopping!
I was looking most at at the front because I can buy the entire set there on and done. Hessen seems awesome but their stuff seemed a bit off to me as well. To bad at the front is so expensive. :/

Return to “Reenactment”