Quality of Winter Parkas

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Y Ddraig Goch

Quality of Winter Parkas

Post by Y Ddraig Goch » 19 Oct 2016, 22:38

Has anyone bought a winter parka from the Panther Store or At The Front? Or even better own both for some reason. I would like to know the quality of both, and how they are after use. I know the ones from At The Front have a machine washable filler.
Does either sag after use?

Thanks.
/ Mike

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche

Y Ddraig Goch

Re: Quality of Winter Parkas

Post by Y Ddraig Goch » 24 Oct 2016, 23:22

I guess people who have bought parkas have only bought cheep Chinese parkas.
/ Mike

Friedrich Nietzsche

Tanker Mike

Post by Tanker Mike » 04 Nov 2016, 06:01

Hello,

I purchased the At The Front Heer Mouse Gray Parka last winter. I only wore it a handful of times while hiking. It is well made and kept me warm enough with proper layering.

Mike
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we would grow too fond of it."
— General Robert E. Lee

Y Ddraig Goch

Post by Y Ddraig Goch » 02 Jun 2017, 14:16

Thanks for your reply.

Thankfully I didn't buy the winter jacket at the end of last year because there is a sale there now. I bought the splinter winter jacket at a much reduced price, I also bought the trousers and a few other things.

Thanks again.
/ Mike

Friedrich Nietzsche

fusilier1944

Post by fusilier1944 » 03 Jun 2017, 04:14

Sorry, I'm a little late either this but figured I'd contribute for future reference.

I purchased a splinter set of pants, jacket & mittens from At The Front during their Black Friday sale last fall. They are fleece lined which I like. I wore the jacket all winter as my regular every day jacket. I am extremely pleased.

I washed everything 2 or 3 times in my washing machine. (I re-sewed the buttons first). I then rewaterproofed with Nikwaxs TX-direct.

I have only worn the full suit to clear snow in my driveway with my snowblower and was exceptionally warm. We had a reenactment in May of 2017 where we had cold wet weather with the temperature hovering around freezing. I wore my snow suit after the battle to get warm and dry.

The only complaint I have is that I ordered Size 1 pants and Size 2 jacket. (I am 5'10", around 145lbs, with 32" inseam). The jacket fits nicely when worn over a uniform. The pants are too short and bind in the crotch for me. I may lengthen the suspenders a bit or just get new pants. It was my mistake to order the smaller Size pants. I really should have ordered them in a Size 2.

Y Ddraig Goch

Post by Y Ddraig Goch » 04 Jun 2017, 02:59

fusilier1944 wrote:Sorry, I'm a little late either this but figured I'd contribute for future reference.

I purchased a splinter set of pants, jacket & mittens from At The Front during their Black Friday sale last fall. They are fleece lined which I like. I wore the jacket all winter as my regular every day jacket. I am extremely pleased.

I washed everything 2 or 3 times in my washing machine. (I re-sewed the buttons first). I then rewaterproofed with Nikwaxs TX-direct.

I have only worn the full suit to clear snow in my driveway with my snowblower and was exceptionally warm. We had a reenactment in May of 2017 where we had cold wet weather with the temperature hovering around freezing. I wore my snow suit after the battle to get warm and dry.

The only complaint I have is that I ordered Size 1 pants and Size 2 jacket. (I am 5'10", around 145lbs, with 32" inseam). The jacket fits nicely when worn over a uniform. The pants are too short and bind in the crotch for me. I may lengthen the suspenders a bit or just get new pants. It was my mistake to order the smaller Size pants. I really should have ordered them in a Size 2.
Thank you for your reply, at first I was worried that you were going to say that something was wrong with the set haha. I am thinking about doing reenactment in the future so any German kit I buy, I want to be a high quality.
/ Mike

Friedrich Nietzsche

Y Ddraig Goch

Post by Y Ddraig Goch » 02 Jul 2017, 11:10

My package arrived on 22 June, and I must say I am Very impressed. I highly recommend them, the winter trousers, Zelt, Torque, Sumpfmuster smock and knitted jumper. I'd definitely order from At The Front again.
/ Mike

Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Reenactment”