Italian Camo

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Filippov 125

Post by Filippov 125 » 07 Oct 2006, 06:25

Haha, this is funny. I've been doing Engineer since I started doing German, and I never knew there was so much interest in this stuff.

egon

Post by egon » 07 Oct 2006, 08:47

A Rottenfuhrer in my LAH unit is really keen to do pioneer. He has aquired all the original gear for it, but I think is minus the saw and the pouches. Is there a way to get ahold of a set for a reasonable price, or a pattern, or can they be made to order?

Filippov 125

Post by Filippov 125 » 07 Oct 2006, 16:42

Follow that link.
ssroom.com stocks them as well.
I don't know where to get a saw... ebay perhaps. The guy I'm getting plans for the backpack from has a saw.

HJDivision

Post by HJDivision » 07 Oct 2006, 20:11

Ditch the italian pants, the colors may be "better" like Sepp said but imo they are just as bad as wearing spanish helmets and flektarn to events.

Sepp

Post by Sepp » 08 Oct 2006, 01:41

Kameraden,
Drew may opt to move this to a new thread title but Pionier gear can be found on ebay. A complete set of original pouches, ruck, and shoulder korpertache sold last week for mega bucks. I was involved to the end but someone obviously wanted them more than I. As for saws, there were two kinds. The first is the stiff saw that was housed in the leather scabbard and the second was a linked saw (like a bicycle chain) that coiled up and was stored in a small leather pouch. I have the chain type saw and I use it all the time to fell trees in my yard. There is a scabbard type for sale right now at the Collectors guild. Also Clay (formerly of Ost Front now at Bunker) is a huge Pionier collector. He has answered a million question about Pionier gear for me over the past few years.

One of these days I'll put all my Pioniere gear together and take a foto for the list. The stuff is very expensive but OH so kool!

Sepp

http://www.1SS-LSSAH.com

Sepp

soldat13

Post by soldat13 » 09 Oct 2006, 07:19

A guy in my unit has the Italian camo pants but the cargo pocket was cut off.He told me that for the SS to be allowed to use them they had to alter them.I dont know if this is correct or not,could be just his opinion.

Sepp

Post by Sepp » 09 Oct 2006, 14:37

Soldat13,
Nah, SS, Heer, and Luft. units in Italy during the surrender took vast quantities of Camo material not pre finished uniforms. Kompanie tailors made uniforms for the men within the Kompanies and much of the camo made it up the chain of command and was turnerd into uniforms that made their way around every branch of the German armed forces. The most popular is the second pattern Karkov Parka. These Italian camo items were not made buy the Italians. These were German manufactured items. By the amount of foto evidence, it would seem that the units that removed the fabric from Italy retained much of it for use within thier division. The 1.SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler seemed to be very fond of the Italian camo and when some of the divisions NCO's were moved to 12.SS Hitlerjugend they took their uniforms and camo material with them to the new division. Many pictures of the young men of the Hitlerjugend Division who were too young to have been in Italy are seen wearing the camo in Normandy. The map pocket you speak of was very popular on Panzer uniforms. The thigh area is a very handy place to keep a map weather in a Panzer or running around the hedgerows of Normady. I imagine it was a very popular feture and was incorporated into many kompanie level made uniforms.

The trousers that were made out of the uniforms don't really match any mass produced German trouser. Some are a varient between the M37 Langhose and the m43 Keilhose. The majority were cut very generous at the calf and ankle. A large percentage were made as a slip on over the wool trousers and had no pockets only pass through slits so the pockets in the wool trousers could be accessed. Since these were made at the kompanie level, extras like corded keyhole shaped button holes were not included. However, many custom made uniforms seem to have been made by very talented tailors but these uniforms are normally seen on Officers who could affort to spend extra money to have private tailors make their uniforms.
Sepp

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 09 Oct 2006, 14:39

perhaps he's thinking of postwar italian pants, where they have reinforced knee pads and side cargo pockets.

Sepp

Post by Sepp » 09 Oct 2006, 14:49

Drew,
Possibly but the post war trousers need a hell of a lot more work than just removing the pocket. The only thing right about them is the pattern but the colors are all wrong. The brown is way too red and the green is way too blue.

Sepp

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 09 Oct 2006, 18:04

Sepp:

Agreed, some units I know allow the 'postwar' stuff in, and when I first started up, I didn't know enough about the Italian camo variants, I read somewhere that the pattern hadn't changed since 1929 and found some postwar and was told to make them 'authentic' i just needed to remove the knee pads and the side cargo pockets. Kinda rang a bell the gentleman's comment about removing the pockets, but agreed, that's one more piece of kit that is gone from my kit as it's incorrect. Too brown and red.

I now own a pair made from Italian zelts, which I am happy with, with the bellows pocket on the front of the leg.

soldat13

Post by soldat13 » 10 Oct 2006, 01:56

I think they are post war because I do remember him saying something about knee pads.Thanks for the info,now where can I get a set? :D

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 10 Oct 2006, 02:16

ha- you DONT want a pair of post war. Get a period Italian zelt and have someone tailor them for you....

Hessler64

Post by Hessler64 » 10 Oct 2006, 06:01

I have a set made from a orginal Italian Zelt. Guys if you are not fimillar with the patterns check with someone before buying it, or at least converting it. The post war stuff is way off in the color department like Sepp said. Sepp does have a very informative web site on this but the bandwidth is low ( Sepp any news with that?). I was fortunante enough to see the site and study the picture sof the correct colors and them made the purchase of the zelt at a local gun / militaria show. I also double checked with Sepp, and then sent it off to Robb from G-Max ( Click on the site and you will see the pants he mde for me on his site). I can't recomend him enough!

Hessler

soldat13

Post by soldat13 » 11 Oct 2006, 17:59

Does anyone have example pics of Italian camo for me?

soldat13

Post by soldat13 » 11 Oct 2006, 18:09

Return to “Reenactment”