ID Tags

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
jeslinger123

ID Tags

Post by jeslinger123 » 21 Jan 2007, 16:22

Hello all,
Recently I have been looking at German IDTags. I have had no problem finding actual ww2 tags, however as weird as this may sound, I am trying to find replica tags which can eb engraved with my own information on them. This owuld be similiar to those a person could purchase as a US military dog tag. Does anyopne have any idea where I could possibly find such a thing? And also, Which half of the id tag stayed with the body and which half went with the soldiers identifying objects? Thanks in advance.

Siegfried Wilhelm
Location: Kleinkleckersdorf, NC, Confederate States of America

Post by Siegfried Wilhelm » 21 Jan 2007, 18:52

There are a number of vendors who sell reproduction German tags--and will properly stamp them for you. Just check around a few vendor links found on the sites and you will soon locate several.
To answer your other question, the section with the two holes stays with you, the section with the single hole goes to record after your demise.
One more thing, Erkennungsmarke are a whole subject in themselves. Before purchaseing, or having one made up for you, be sure to read up a little on them so you know that the information, stampings, and the way it is worn are historicly correct. There are some variation--as with all things, but there are also many mistakes made by modern reenactors too. An hour's worth of looking and reading will save you some money.

craigob

Post by craigob » 21 Jan 2007, 19:05

On this very site. we have a "search" function, Look at the funny shaped buttons at the top.. 2nd one in says search.. click that and where it says "search for keywords" enter "Erkennungsmarke" and scrioll down a little and hit search.

*Also harnessing teh power of the intraweb and google will tell you want.

*no, im not being funny, yes, im being sarcastic.. there are never dumb questions but you will get a whole lot more info with some self research.

Ende!

jeslinger123

Post by jeslinger123 » 22 Jan 2007, 22:34

craigob wrote:On this very site. we have a "search" function, Look at the funny shaped buttons at the top.. 2nd one in says search.. click that and where it says "search for keywords" enter "Erkennungsmarke" and scrioll down a little and hit search.

*Also harnessing teh power of the intraweb and google will tell you want.

*no, im not being funny, yes, im being sarcastic.. there are never dumb questions but you will get a whole lot more info with some self research.

Ende!
I did do some research. However i did not look too much on this particular site. At any rate, thank you for all of the information no matter how sarcastic, it was still appreciated.

uk wiking

Post by uk wiking » 31 Jan 2007, 02:08

try these people at http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp
be sure to say yakki dah to them,and they are alright aswell.
give em a go mate, i ve just checked for you and they do what your requiring.regards:
paul.

pzrwest

Post by pzrwest » 31 Jan 2007, 02:40

Lost Battalions sells good id discs but doesn't stamp them they reccomend Cyrus Lee at http://www.soldat.com/ for stamping them

soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 01 Feb 2007, 01:37

WEP Haus will stamp the tags for much cheaper than Cyrus Lee. I had them stamp mine, and they did a good job. Other reenactors have commented on how good it looks too. You have to email them (it is not listed in the online catalog).

http://www.wephaus.com

Max Murray

Re: ID Tags

Post by Max Murray » 20 Oct 2016, 15:09

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone can help me in the layout of ww2 German SS ID Tags, I find the layout very confusing.
I'm wanting to reenact the 1st SS LAH but I have no idea how to set the ID Tag out. Please can someone give me a template of the ID Tag with all the information filled in apart from the serial number.

kind regards,
Max Murray. :)

Y Ddraig Goch

Re:

Post by Y Ddraig Goch » 21 Oct 2016, 18:58

uk wiking wrote:try these people at http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp
be sure to say yakki dah to them,and they are alright aswell.
give em a go mate, i ve just checked for you and they do what your requiring.regards:
paul.
Or thank you
/ Mike

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Reenactment”