Preparing Meals in the Field

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Drew Maynard

Re: Preparing Meals in the Field

Post by Drew Maynard » 20 May 2008, 14:56

i have a period manual from the third reich era on large scale cooking endeavours, will dig it up tonight, it's in pdf format :)
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

nihil

Post by nihil » 20 May 2008, 15:34

H.Dv.86 ?

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 20 May 2008, 16:27

it's a civilian book on large scale meals...
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

THE AWFUL EGG
Location: BUFFALO,NY. Oskar Mayer/U.FeldW.(272 Fus.Btl./ODESSA)

Post by THE AWFUL EGG » 21 May 2008, 04:19

HEY, DREWID ! IS THERE ANYTHING THAT YOU DON'T HAVE IN THAT PUTER OF YOURS ???

A FEW ODESSAS AGO I HAD ONE OF MY HELPERS LIGHT HIS FACE ON FIRE WITH WHITE GAS AS HE TRIED TO HELP START THE FIRE IN THE METAL TROUGH. YOU REMEMBER IN RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK WHEN THE NAZIS WERE ALL GATHERED TO SEE THE ARK OPENED...THE SCENE WHERE THE LID BLEW STRAIGHT UP WITH A PILLAR OF FLAME ???

THATS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE WHEN HE LIT THE GAS...YES HE PUT HIS FACE IN THE TROUGH WHEN HE TOUCHED THE MATCH TO THE FUEL ! HIS FACE LOOKED LIKE POTATO CHIPS. THIS IS ANOTHER REASON WE GOT THE GOULASHKANONE FOR ODESSA. BTW...HE GOT THE WOUND BADGE FOR THAT ONE !

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 21 May 2008, 14:30

gents- i looked last night, it was a book of 'eintopf' meals, sorry.

craigob

Post by craigob » 21 May 2008, 17:38

couple of photos of our golashkanone
Attachments
kit3.jpg
kit3.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
kit2.jpg
kit2.jpg (160.93 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
kit1.jpg
kit1.jpg (56.05 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 21 May 2008, 18:09

pzrwest wrote:I sure would hate to be the poor guy that got stuck on KP duty cleaning those pots on that open fire THE AWFUL EGG posted the link to
...Been there...done that...

272 does a lot of work before, during, and after the event. Searching for garbage (even though garbage bags are provided), minefield flags, empty bottles and cans, and making sure the area is cleaned so that we may be invited back the following year.

Oskar Mayer, I made my white Bordmutze just to help out with mealtime. Where did you get your apron? I saw how much work you did just in 2005, and decided I'd help with it the next time I attended (should be this year).

Cheers,

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

gewehrmonkey

Post by gewehrmonkey » 21 May 2008, 20:06

One advantage to having a small unit is that meal preparations are much easier. We just spent the weekend in the woods and I used a cast iron skillet over an open flame to make dinner on Friday (potatoes, onions, bratwurst, olive oil, all together) with bread. After my guys left Saturday evening, I joined the 9th SS for a mess tin of Turnip soup, cooked in the essenbehalter liner over an open flame. The unit leader directed the cook to make a miserable meal, something like turnip soup. Unfortunately, the cook had a hard time making the soup NOT good. A little salt, pepper, milk and butter and dammit, it was pretty darn good.
Next time, we are gonna try to make it less appealing. It's a tough line to walk between authenticity and a good time. I would say make sure your guys know ahead of time that dinner is gonna be crappy if you intend to make the experience as period as possible, since a lot of guys will be VERY unhappy if they think that dinner is going to be provided and then they get a watery bowl of Horst Wessel Suppe. Not all reenactors are ready to take it to that level. I think it might be fun to have a crappy meal prepared by the German cook and then surrender to the GIs just to have a good meal.

THE AWFUL EGG

Post by THE AWFUL EGG » 21 May 2008, 23:54

MOOCHO GREASY ASS FOR NOTICING THE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF WORK WE DO AT ODESSA, DANA. I DON'T THINK MANY OF OUR GUESTS REALIZE HOW MUCH TOIL GOES INTO IT, ALTHOUGH THEY APPRECIATE WHAT WE DO FOR THEM AS THEY THANK US MANY TIMES OVER AS THEY LEAVE ON THEIR WAY OUT ON SUNDAY. WE BEGIN SETUP ON TUESDAY ALL THE WAY THRU TIL SATURDAY MORNING, CLEAR ALL THE STRAY CARS AT REGISTRATION, MIND THE UPPER AND LOWER PARKING AREAS, THEN HAVE TO REFEREE THE EVENT ,THEN PACK IT ALL UP ON SUNDAY AFTER CLEANING UP THE GARBAGE LEFT BEHIND...AND ALL WITH ABOUT 10 MEN.

I HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO ABOUT SERVING FOOD...NEVER DONE IT...BUT UNDERTOOK THE TASK. SURE, IT'S FARBY BY RE-ENACTOR STANDARDS, BUT WE'RE NOT SERVING TROOPS IN THE FIELD AND OUR KITCHEN AREA IS IN THE VENDOR AREA WITH FARBY VEHICLES ALL ROUND. THE FIELD SOUP I MAKE IS JUST A MEAT AN VEGGIE DEAL SEASONED TO TASTE, BUT IT IS COMPLETELY MADE IN THE GOULASHKANONE...MEAT SEARING AND ALL. LAST YEAR I SERVED 600 OUT OF TWO OF THE THREE POTS WITH ONE POT COMPLETELY FULL AS LEFTOVERS...HOPE THE SQUIRELLS LOVED THE MEAT ! I HAVE YET TO USE THE 4 SIDE CANISTERS WHICH COULD HOUSE COFFEE, SOUP, SCRAMBLED EGGS OR WHAT EVER. SO WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE A PERIOD MACHINE...IT DOES THE JOB NICELY. MARKUS WAS PISSED THAT I GOT MY SOUP TO A ROLLING BOIL TO WHICH HE NEVER DID ! LOL.

IT'S A HUGE UNDERTAKING TO COOK FOR THE 500-700 PEOPLE, SO MY MENU HAS TO BE FAIRLY NORMAL AS A LOT OF RE-ENACTORS STILL HIDE TWINKIES AND "HOSTESS PIES" IN THEIR FIELD KIT !(DREWID ! LOL.) I DON'T WISH TO EXPERIMENT WITH THAT AMOUNT OF PALATES. I WOULD NOT MIND A REAL PERIOD MENU BUT IT CANNOT APPLY HERE. A SMALL GRUPPE OF SOLDATEN WOULD WORK WELL WITH THAT MINDSET IF THEY COULD TEAR THEMSELVES AWAY FROM THE PEPSI ONE AND WONDERBREAD BALOGNA SANDWICHES. ALSO, I DON'T KNOW OF ANY OTHER EVENT THAT PERSONALLY CATERS OUT IN THE FIELD TO THAT MANY PEOPLE. THE GAP IS IN-HOUSE WITH FULL KITCHENS AND MODERN ACCESSES SO THAT DON'T COUNT. OUR GUESTS HAVE TO USE THEIR MESS KITS AND UTENSILS (WHICH IS REALY COOL) AND WE ALSO PROVIDE A HOT WASH AND RINSE AREA FOR CLEANING ONE'S DISHES, GENEROUSLY DONATED BY GIBB BUCKBY.

BTW DANA...A FRIEND GAVE ME THE CHEFS BIB, SO AT ODESSA I BOUGHT A BEVO FROM DREW OF 1944 MILITARIA AT ODESSA AND SEWED IT ON.

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 22 May 2008, 16:23

The 2005 Odessa event, we (Fus Bn 272) did not clear the field until after sunset. I've worked a lot of restaurants, washed a lot of dishes. I was astonished how many young men could not understand the importance of keeping the food moving in the pot so it wouldn't burn, and how many could not grasp the concept of blowing the foam from the pot at water level. I hope none of the latter are firemen. :lol:

The goulasch cannon looks great and much more efficient than "the old-fashioned way."

Good on you!

Being the summer '44 setting, would burgundy beef stew (made with grape juice because of the "alcohol issue") be an acceptable period meal? How about onion soup, Vichy-soise, or clam pie?

Cheers,

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

gewehrmonkey

Post by gewehrmonkey » 22 May 2008, 19:34

I am curious, is alcohol forbidden on the site you wish to prepare the meal? If you are concerned about the consumption of alcohol by those eating the meal (under21s) then it shouldn't be an issue as the alcohol should be cooked out (unless you are drowning the stew in wine).
There are plenty of commercially available cooking wines, including salted wines that are intended to keep the kitchen staff from drinking them (it doesn't work :? ).

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 22 May 2008, 19:57

gewehrmonkey wrote:...the alcohol should be cooked out (unless you are drowning the stew in wine).
There are plenty of commercially available cooking wines, including salted wines that are intended to keep the kitchen staff from drinking them (it doesn't work :? ).

Some people are recovering alcoholics, and thus should not be tempted, even though, yes, the alcohol burns off. It is a courtesy to them. It is easier to quit something you don't enjoy, than something you do.

There are also people for whom consuming wine conflicts with religious/cultural beliefs, even though the alcohol evaporates in the cooking process.

Then again, there are all those Canadians and their 19-year-old-drinking-agers driving down here to the good ol' U.S. of A. and....hey wait, shouldn't you guys be having more DWI accidents than we do with our drinking age at 21?

Besides, there would be E-vil OSKAR MAYER-bo, and myself working in the kitchen, and I'm sure no one wants us keeping you up all night with our rendition of "Balls to the Wall."

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

pzrwest

Post by pzrwest » 23 May 2008, 00:03

Reguarding the DUI in Canada check out this link http://www.defencelaw.com/drinking-driving-1.html. Also if you read the very bottom of the page the vehicle could be confinscated.
It amazes me that with all the ads and stiff penalties about drinking and driving how many still continue to do it. BUT I don't have any simpathy for anyone who drinks and drives and gets caught

THE AWFUL EGG

Post by THE AWFUL EGG » 23 May 2008, 00:21

NO...I REFUSE TO DO "BALLS TO THE WALLS" ! IT REMINDS ME TOO MUCH OF KROKUS FROM SWITZERLAND. HOWS A BOUT "WAR GAMES" BY ACCEPT ???

ANYWAY...I DRINK ENOUGH BALTIKA #9 FROM RUSSIA WHILE PREPARING THE FEAST TO HAVE IT LEACH DOWN MY ARM AND INTO THE POTS AS I STIR GENTLY...NOT SHAKEN ! LOL.

NOW, TO GET MY OWN COOKING UTENSILS INSTEAD OF STEALING THE ONES MARKUS HAS ! "SCHWEINHUND !" WHEN I GO UP TO BARRIE ONTARIO FOR THE KAMPFGRUPPE HAASE/15PZ EVENTS, MARKUS BRINGS OUT HIS GOULASHKANONE AND MAKES A MIGHTY TASTY FIELD SOUP. OF COURSE, IT TASTES WAY BETTER WHEN I LEND THEIR COOK MY WEHRMACHT FELDKOCHBIB ! LOL.

ALSO...KEEP IN MIND, I'M NOT TRYING TO DO A FIELD COOKING IMPRESSION HERE SO DON'T NITPIK ON THE FARBY STUFF. I'M PROVIDING A SERVICE FOR THE 272 AND ODESSA. WE GOT THE UNIT FOR SIMPLICITY AND SAFETY SAKES AND I GET THE JOB DONE WITH NO SUPERVISION. I WOULD RATHER BE STANDING IN FRONT OF THOUSANDS OF KiLLeR DWaRfS FANS PLAYING MY...OOOPS...SORRY "HASBEEN ROCKSTAR SYNDROME"...WOULD RATHER BE IN THE FIELD BLASTNG MY K98 AT DER FEIND SCREAMING, DIE ! DIE ! AFTER EVERY ROUND FIRED AS I DID AT TOLLAND, MASS. THIS PAST WEEKEND. NOW THAT WAS FUUUUNNNNN!

jugendkrieger

Post by jugendkrieger » 23 May 2008, 01:06

yes, tolland was some crazy fun trigger time, GI wave attack with hits taken was AWESOME ! ! ! ! Glad to put more faces to names uffz. oskar mayer.

I still don't think they can smell my smoke though.
Marc

Return to “Reenactment”