RIP - MILES MURPHY

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Good-bye Miles

RIP - MILES MURPHY

Post by Good-bye Miles » 03 Jan 2009, 08:30

I regret to announce that a fellow re-enactor has fallen. He was a young and talented musician. Too bad he was taken from us at such a young age.

"Witness: Student shot by police had no live ammo

SEATTLE - Police say two officers had no choice when they opened fire on a University of Washington student who pointed a rifle and bayonet at them in the Thursday morning darkness.

On Friday, Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske defended that position - even while disclosing that a witness told the officers that the student, dressed in a German military uniform, had no live ammo in his rifle.

The witness talked to the officers before they opened fire, telling them that the student - later identified as UW German studies major Miles Murphy - only had blanks in his vintage rifle.

"Unfortunately, officers don't get the option - especially with a 4 1/2-foot rifle with a fixed bayonet - to believe everything they're told particularly by a witness," Kerlikowske said.

He said officers repeatedly asked Murphy to drop his gun, but he wouldn't do it. So they opened fire, critically wounding the 22-year-old student. He died hours later at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

Murphy's grief-stricken mother spoke with KOMO News on Friday and said she has questions about why her son was shot.

Meanwhile, friends and co-workers of Miles Murphy remember him as a free spirit who wasn't afraid to be himself. He was a history buff with an affinity for vintage clothing - especially World War II military gear.

"He was just fascinated with the past - it wasn't evil," says one co-worker.

Friends said Murphy liked to dress up in period costumes. Co-workers described a time when he came to work wearing lederhosen only to leave wearing a full-on Civil War uniform.

Police said Murphy was wearing a German Army uniform when they confronted him just after 2 a.m. on New Year's Day after a neighbor reported seeing him firing shots in the alley.

When officers arrived, they say Murphy met them holding the vintage infantry rifle and refused to drop it.

That's when the witness told the officers that Murphy's gun was loaded with blanks - not live ammunition.

And that's one thing that's confusing to Murphy's friends.

"It didn't make any sense ... to shoot someone seven times to try to disarm them for shooting blanks," says one distraught co-worker. "It makes no sense."

But Chief Kerlikowske says, "Your ability to shoot to wound or shoot a gun out of a hand is a myth. ... There's isn't another option available."

Murphy's MySpace account offered some chilling clues to his mindset before the shooting.

Asked what he was afraid of, he answered: "The police."

Asked what he liked to do for fun, he answered, "Shoot blanks." Asked if he has a lucky charm, he answered, "Mr. Bayonet" - a possible reference to his rifle.

Investigators found German World War II memorabilia and "lots of alcohol" inside Murphy's apartment after the shooting.

They think the combination of drinking and firearms may explain what happened.

Police also said Friday that this isn't first time they've been called to Murphy's home.

In 2006, officers responded to a call and took Murphy's rifle for "safekeeping," then returned it to his father about 2½ months later.

Officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation as is standard such cases."

http://www.komonews.com/news/37025944.html

Adam Carr

Re: RIP - MILES MURPHY

Post by Adam Carr » 03 Jan 2009, 16:40

Too bad he was taken from us at such a young age.
Too bad he behaved in such an astonishingly stupid way.

JagerRoll

Post by JagerRoll » 03 Jan 2009, 18:01

What a tragedy. Now becasue of his behavior, He is dead , his family and friends are in mourning and two officers have to go through the stress of having to shoot someone, long investigations and lawsuits . No one is to blame but Mr. Murphy for this mishap, If I would of responded to that call I unfortunately would had to shoot him shot him also. In the Miami Dade area year before last we lost 5 Officers to shootings and anyone that dare to blame the Officers needs to have thier head examined. It is always upsetting to see a young man lose his life because behavior brought on by alcohol

My sincere condolences to his family friends and the Officers involved in this incident.

Tim
http://www.fjr3.com
Last edited by JagerRoll on 04 Jan 2009, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

nihil

Post by nihil » 03 Jan 2009, 18:05

A shame that there were no healthcare system to get this person out of his I'll behaviour.

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 03 Jan 2009, 19:04

Gentlemen, Ladies:

It's a shame that everyone is jumping to conclusions on what happened and 'who is to blame,' when no one out here knows the exact circumstances. More to the point, it's a shame that a person, a friend, a son, has died.

RIP Miles.
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 03 Jan 2009, 19:15

Well that's no doubt true, but this post was apparently put here to evoke our sympathy, and I think it's a false kindness to express sympathy with someone stupid enough to dress up in a uniform and point a rifle at police officers. Of course they shot him, everyone knows that's what police do if you point a gun at them. If "reenactors" really want to dress up as Nazis and wave guns around, they should do it somewhere safe and where they won't be mistaken for thieves or terrorists.

aeros66

Post by aeros66 » 03 Jan 2009, 21:02

I just read the story on the news about Miles and I assumed he was probably a member on here- No?
Yeah, it wasn't very smart to continue to brandish a weapon after the police told him to drop it. But I seriously doubt he would be mistaken for a thief or "terrorist". A nutcase, maybe...Bummer, regardless. Rest In Peace, Miles.

Von Schwerin

Post by Von Schwerin » 03 Jan 2009, 21:04

I don't visit here much any more - but I was incredibly saddened to hear of this young man's death. I lost one of my daughters aged 21 to heroin in June - the pain is unbearable - So I know just how distraught his parents will be now.

I must say - If Miles' death does anything for us - let it be this. He was outside the given boundaries for what we do - He was wearing his uniform in a public place - He had his firearm in a public place and he was discharging it. As a result he suffered dreadful consequences which his actions braught upon him. Take this as a lifelong lesson and if you wish to uphold his memory - make it the conscious decision never to place yourself or your hobby in the same, dangerous position.

There can be no judgement passed on this young man - Karma serves up whatever karma has waiting. He is no more and whatever the reasons - he is lost to many who loved him. No moralising, no finger pointing - Fate brought him, his seemingly innocent actions, an observer and two police officers together and the result is tragedy. We all know in our hearts what the probable scenario was - we have all felt the urge to indulge at some time or another - This poor poor boy was tragically unlucky...... and those of us who have been around for some time know how and why. Learn a lesson from it. Ensure you are never in teh position to be another Miles Murphy.

God Rest His Soul.

Paul Dalby.
UK

Gesetz

Post by Gesetz » 03 Jan 2009, 21:35

Wise words VS. Sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter as well.

Condolences to Miles friends and family.

Newton30

Post by Newton30 » 03 Jan 2009, 21:55

My condolences.

JagerRoll

Post by JagerRoll » 04 Jan 2009, 04:02

It is also something to think about at your next reenactment/Living history event when you see people drinking too much and do something stupid like firing blanks at each other at point range in the dead of night or something close to that . I think everyone can take a lesson from this.

Gesetz

Post by Gesetz » 04 Jan 2009, 06:03

Happy to say I've never witnessed that happen before... 8O

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 04 Jan 2009, 09:57

Perhaps they will reconsider whether playing soldiers is a sensible activity for adults in the first place. If you want to wear a uniform, join the Marines.

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 04 Jan 2009, 15:45

Adam Carr wrote:Perhaps they will reconsider whether playing soldiers is a sensible activity for adults in the first place. If you want to wear a uniform, join the Marines.
Be prepared to don an asbestos suit, as you just farted in church...

Mr. Murphy was probably drunk and not thinking clearly. The whole thing was an act of stupidity; too bad it ended up with him being dead. The police officers didn't have much choice, if the media have reported the whole affair correctly.

TotenRot

Post by TotenRot » 04 Jan 2009, 17:49

aeros66 wrote:I just read the story on the news about Miles and I assumed he was probably a member on here- No?
I personally know this kid. Hes with the 2.SS from Oregon. If any of you were at the CHG event in California in November, the one with a lot of armor and the Pz III from KG von Rybus, he was one of the Cossaks. Norbert Biber is a member here, and is in the same unit as him. I remember this kid very well because I spent a lot of time with the Cossaks at the November CHG event, and remember him playing German songs on his accordian.

Thats him in the middle.

RIP Miles
Rot

Return to “Reenactment”