Who makes the best SS officer visor cap???

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Faustwald

Who makes the best SS officer visor cap???

Post by Faustwald » 20 Jul 2009, 10:31

Hi all, in the "Pirschen Products" thread an interesting debate has started:

Who makes, or sells, the best SS officer visor cap???

This is my Allgemeine from "Deutsche orden", a german Ebay seller:

Tonight I'll put pictures of my other hats :wink:

crowback

Re: Who makes the best SS officer visor cap???

Post by crowback » 20 Jul 2009, 13:08

Army eagle ?

Faustwald

Post by Faustwald » 20 Jul 2009, 13:26

crowback wrote:Army eagle ?
Yes, sorry... this is an old photo with the army eagle only for test!
:wink:

Sepp

Post by Sepp » 20 Jul 2009, 14:10

My vote goes to Janke for the best Waffen-SS Schirmmützen. If you like a nice deep saddle shape in an assortment of materials, Janke is the one. Now for insignia for your SS mütze, Bill Bureau sells the best, hands down.

The posted Pirschen mütze almost seems to have a Teller shape and the top crown piping looks to be a bit thick and wavy. While the Teller shape is acceptable for an early Schwartz Dienstmütze, the piping and it's application to the cap need to be perfect.

That's my Zwei Pfenning.

Sepp

Kampfgruppe Sonnenwende
www.1SS-LSSAH.com

Faustwald

Post by Faustwald » 20 Jul 2009, 15:08

Sepp wrote:Now for insignia for your SS mütze, Bill Bureau sells the best, hands down.
Thanks but this is an old photo, I've already bought the right eagle & skull. :wink:

Have you images/links of the Janke Schirmmutzen?

P.S.
My black schirmmutze is made by Deutsche orden, not Pirschen.

Newton30

Post by Newton30 » 20 Jul 2009, 20:14

Extra Klasse sells made by Janke.

http://www.extraklasse.co.uk/

Sepp

Post by Sepp » 20 Jul 2009, 21:02

Faustwald,

I just received two Janke Mützen today. As of now they are without insignia but that will soon be fixed. One is a Gabardine Waffen-SS Schirmmütze and the other a Waffen-SS "crusher" in Doeskin. Which would you like to see?

The "crusher" will sport flatwire insignia while the Schirmmütze will have Bill's fine reproduction CupAl metal insignia. I have both sets already but I have to starch & fold the flatwire. OH JOY!!

I also have a Hessen Waffen-SS NCO Schirmmütze. Itis a nice cap but it is no Janke. I tricked it out a bit by opening the liner and pulling out a ton of padding on the peak and overhang that made it look way too puffy. I pulled the crappy insignia off and upgraded with a nice reproduction aluminum set. Now it rocks! It has a nicely done Erel Sonderkasse sweat shield It's a size 58 and I'm looking to sell it if anyone is interested. This one is nicer than an off the shelf Hessen since it was modified by me!. It was worn a handful of times at FIG this past Januar. It's in mint condition. $125. plus shipping takes it!

I used to own a Janke Allgemeine Officer cap as well as a Janke Panzer piped crushed, NCO crusher, and NCO Schirmmütze. For quality, shape, and craftmanship, they cannot be beat. And no, I'm not on Janke's payroll.

Sepp

Kampfgruppe Sonnenwende
www.1SS-LSSAH.com

Faustwald

Post by Faustwald » 20 Jul 2009, 21:13

ImageImage
ImageImage

60 Euro (without insigna) vs. 160 Pound on the previous post...
:wink:

Sepp

Post by Sepp » 20 Jul 2009, 21:33

Faustwald,
Do you wear them at events or merely collect them for display? The Piped Schimmütze looks better than the Allgemeine from the fotos you posted. Personally, I would never think of wearing the Allgemeine Schirmmütze you posted since I do not like the way it looks at all, but as long as you are happy with it then that is all that really matters.

Sepp

Kampfgruppe Sonnenwende
www.1SS-LSSAH.com

HansBeck1

Post by HansBeck1 » 20 Jul 2009, 23:45

Sepp wrote:Faustwald,

I just received two Janke Mützen today. As of now they are without insignia but that will soon be fixed. One is a Gabardine Waffen-SS Schirmmütze and the other a Waffen-SS "crusher" in Doeskin. Which would you like to see?

The "crusher" will sport flatwire insignia while the Schirmmütze will have Bill's fine reproduction CupAl metal insignia. I have both sets already but I have to starch & fold the flatwire. OH JOY!!

I also have a Hessen Waffen-SS NCO Schirmmütze. Itis a nice cap but it is no Janke. I tricked it out a bit by opening the liner and pulling out a ton of padding on the peak and overhang that made it look way too puffy. I pulled the crappy insignia off and upgraded with a nice reproduction aluminum set. Now it rocks! It has a nicely done Erel Sonderkasse sweat shield It's a size 58 and I'm looking to sell it if anyone is interested. This one is nicer than an off the shelf Hessen since it was modified by me!. It was worn a handful of times at FIG this past Januar. It's in mint condition. $125. plus shipping takes it!

I used to own a Janke Allgemeine Officer cap as well as a Janke Panzer piped crushed, NCO crusher, and NCO Schirmmütze. For quality, shape, and craftmanship, they cannot be beat. And no, I'm not on Janke's payroll.

Sepp

Kampfgruppe Sonnenwende
http://www.1SS-LSSAH.com
Sepp,

Could you post some pics of the Hessen Waffen-SS NCO Schirmmütze that you modded?

Thanks,

Hans

Dieter

Post by Dieter » 21 Jul 2009, 06:36

I'm going to second that, without any doubts whatsoever, hands down Janke makes the very BEST schirmmutzen of any branch.
ALL other manufacturers come second, no matter how expensive or cheap. If you want a truly accurate collectable, Janke is the way to go. However, if you want a "beater" for the field, just about any of the others will do, but the question stipulated "the best". :D

Faustwald

Post by Faustwald » 21 Jul 2009, 07:45

Sepp wrote:I just received two Janke Mützen today. As of now they are without insignia but that will soon be fixed. One is a Gabardine Waffen-SS Schirmmütze and the other a Waffen-SS "crusher" in Doeskin. Which would you like to see?
The both if possible :wink:
The first is the model I like, but I'm curious to see the Doeskin fabric of the second.
Sepp wrote: Do you wear them at events or merely collect them for display?
Only for display... I'm not a member of a reenactment group.

Sepp

Post by Sepp » 21 Jul 2009, 17:44

OK, first for Hans, here are the fotos of the Hessen Waffen-SS Schrimmütze für Unterführen that I modified. I removed the crap Totenkopf and Adler and then I really went to work. I opened up the liner and pulled out the copious amount of foam padding they used on the underside of the overhang. This made the cap "sit" better and took away the puffy look and feel. Then I resewed the liner in with all the pleats. Oh, I added top notch insignia. One of the pins on the TK snapped so I field modified it. I drilled a small hole and looped thread through it to secure it. This was commonly done. Unless you are right on top of it, you won't even know.
NCO 3.jpg
NCO 3.jpg (77.62 KiB) Viewed 15336 times
NCO 4.jpg
NCO 4.jpg (108.47 KiB) Viewed 15336 times
NCO 5.jpg
NCO 5.jpg (108.17 KiB) Viewed 15336 times

Sepp

Post by Sepp » 21 Jul 2009, 17:45

I have two more fotos of the NCO cap. here they are.
NCO 1.jpg
NCO 1.jpg (120.28 KiB) Viewed 15336 times
NCO 2.jpg
NCO 2.jpg (108.16 KiB) Viewed 15336 times

Sepp

Post by Sepp » 21 Jul 2009, 17:49

For Faustwald, the Janke Waffen-SS Ofz. Schirmmütze in Trikot (Gabardine). I have no fotos of the Crusher. I sewed the insignia on it last night and I'm in the process of beating the snot out of it to take the newness away.
Ofz 1.jpg
Ofz 1.jpg (117 KiB) Viewed 15336 times
Ofz 2.jpg
Ofz 2.jpg (116.28 KiB) Viewed 15336 times
Ofz 3.jpg
Ofz 3.jpg (102.12 KiB) Viewed 15336 times
Sepp

Return to “Reenactment”