Best reproduction german helmet decals?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Panzerbusche

Best reproduction german helmet decals?

Post by Panzerbusche » 07 Jan 2010, 18:17

I`m looking for the best reproductions of german helmet decals for my restored german helmets.

I will only go with lacquer applied type like the originals, and these were the only ones I could find:

http://www.decalhelmet.com/description. ... e=0&id=329

Anybody got any experience with these? Are they any good?

Thanks for any help!

cruff

Re: Best reproduction german helmet decals?

Post by cruff » 14 Jan 2010, 02:04

No, never heard of them...
But, I just ordered a set of Heer decals for just over $30.00 so we'll see.
Thanks for the link!

Panzerbusche

Post by Panzerbusche » 22 Jan 2010, 20:09

No problem, please let us all know how they turned out :)

landser32

Post by landser32 » 31 Jan 2010, 05:04

I have either seen posts or have spoken with a few folks in our hobby located across the great pond that claim that these are the best repro-decals out there offered from this particular vendor located in France.

Of what I was told these decals although slightly expensive, are definitely worth it since their quality is rumored to be quite outstanding.

I was told to try their perfect replica or perfect lacquer decals. Also on a side note, avoid those aged decals as sold over in the Czech Republic, those are only printed out images of real decals on decal foil.

cruff

Post by cruff » 05 Feb 2010, 18:38

Well, I got the decals and put them on my helmet. They took around three weeks to get to me from France. They arrived in a nice little padded package. In the package was their business card with a website link to their business and directions for applying the decals. The instructional video on youtube was very easy to follow. The English translations aren't the best but that doesn't detract from the process to much. The decals look good but I can't attest to their durability yet. In any case, they have to be better than the common water transfer type. The crappy ones last just about a hour in the field since they are just to look upon and not use. I can post pics if folks need!

cruff

Post by cruff » 05 Feb 2010, 18:57

Here are close-ups of the decals and the package with business card. The decals really did turn out nice. I figure that it is best to apply them over a fresh helmet so that they adhere better. After the new decals, the helmet will be rubbed with black shoe polish for a gloss apple-green treatment.
Attachments
Picture 054.jpg
Picture 054.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 13737 times
Picture 053.jpg
Picture 053.jpg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 13737 times
Picture 052.jpg
Picture 052.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 13737 times

backpacker416

Post by backpacker416 » 26 Feb 2011, 00:09

I just got a set based upon reading this thread!:) Could you maybe explain to me the process in which to apply them? Dont quite follow the youtube video. Thanks. By the way...this is my first post!

backpacker416

Post by backpacker416 » 26 Feb 2011, 05:14

Just looked at the date this thread started, over a year ago! Guess I brought it back from the dead.

Matt1

Post by Matt1 » 07 May 2012, 00:04

Its been a while since the last post but heres the end result with their lacquer decals on my M35 helmet
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77855005@N ... hotostream

SKSman

Post by SKSman » 17 Feb 2013, 19:48

Howdy,

I use repro decals from warhats.com based in the UK. Best repro decals, very good quality!
I use the face down method to apply decals. This is a very easy process and the decal will stick to the helmet 100%.
For this method I use a transparent piece of plastic (smooth, no ribbles) and, believe it or not, massage oil.
I put the oil on the plastic and the I place the decal on it face down after it's been removed from the sheet. On the helmet I apply tamiya glue for plastic model kits. When this is done I transfer the decal to the helmet. With the transparent plastic you can actually see where you put the decal. Make sure you have some paper towels handy to get rid if the oil. The decal will stick immediately to the helmet, you will still be able to move it, but not for too long as the decal almost melts into the helmet. Dint touch it for a couple of hours and your work is done!
After this process you can put rust on the decal (use an old axe and sand paper). Rub it on the decal and then apply laquer. The rust will become one with the decal. In the final stage I use a little bit of sand and rub it over the decal. Dust it off and the reapply some laquer. Work done, perfect result! I will try to post a pic of my SS helmet with a repro decal from warhats.com. My helmet is a M35 from kurland.

SKSman

Post by SKSman » 17 Feb 2013, 21:31

I forgot to mention to stay away from a site called German-helmet-decals.com! The decals sold on this site are really bad! They are so called pre-aged but it's just a print, no real aging! The decals melt when you want to apply them to your helmet with laquer/glue.

Schwen

Post by Schwen » 17 Feb 2013, 23:43

(update): The decalhelmet gal has a new site up now. Here's the link. Love the decals she makes!!!

dday-1944.com

cheers!
H. Schwendemann
Uscha. u. Grpfhr
1.Komp 3.Zug 3.Gruppe
LSSAH

Daniel

Post by Daniel » 18 Feb 2013, 19:21

cruff wrote:Here are close-ups of the decals and the package with business card. The decals really did turn out nice. I figure that it is best to apply them over a fresh helmet so that they adhere better. After the new decals, the helmet will be rubbed with black shoe polish for a gloss apple-green treatment.
What type of paint did you use?

Military Helmet Decals

Post by Military Helmet Decals » 17 Jun 2014, 12:13

After reading the article on 'Best reproduction decals' I had to post a comment.

I have been selling high quality decals for over 12 years. I have acquired an excellent reputation in the hobby and have over 200 different decals in my inventory. I Have nearly all of the German decals in my Museum Quality grade, plus over a hundred others from all countries including rare decals not available anywhere else.

I also can do custom order decals of any kind. I invite anyone interested to visit my web site.

Best regards
John
http://www.military-steel-helmets-and-decals.com

Pre War VT fan

Post by Pre War VT fan » 02 Aug 2016, 01:42

Military Helmet decals suck. They are printed on the same generic crap that you get the 2 decal sheets for 5 dollars, only they cost 2 times as much. You are better off going with the 1944 decals. Just got some in the mail from him (Military Helmet Decals), tried to apply them to a helmet but they cracked and disintegrated as they came off the paper. They are too thin. I have done several helmets, and know what I am doing. Bullshit waste of money.If you are going to advertise your product as superior to everyone else, please make sure that you compare them to the guys actually selling better ones printed with heavy inks and actual metallic based inks. They don't stand up against them.

Return to “Reenactment”