Why is this sort of thing permitted to happen....revisited!

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Appalled

Why is this sort of thing permitted to happen....revisited!

Post by Appalled » 28 Jun 2011, 07:21

Hullo all!
My last picture sharing session spawned a 200+ post thread that got necro'd several times over three years. I'm sure that some of you have been wondering how the unit that was the subject of that thread is faring these days. Well, I aim to please! Here is a recent photo of members of the same outfit.

There are a number of "issues" with the impressions shown in this little pic (if the past is any indication some wags here will no doubt be ready to mark the pic with red circles!) , but I really want to talk about the long haired guy in the back.
Why would someone do something like that? And as the title of the thread states, why is it permitted to happen? I mean we are not talking about a guy who needs a trim up. This dude has gone for the full on hippy look with long flowing locks and full beard! This is not a smallish issue with the cut of a tunic or a Spanish gas mask can. This is somethig so overt and "in your face" that even the most ignorant of the public is going to spot it as wrong a mile off. It's a huge eye-sore, and it spoils the event for everyone. At least the women who don a man's uniform at reenactments will usually pin their hair up under a helmet.

The worst part about it is that I garentee that the long haired guy knows he in the wrong...but simply does not care. He want to be "cool" with his long hair, and simply does not care that he's spoiling the look of the event for everyone. It's like a huge middle finger pointed at anyone who takes the hobby even halfway seriously. It's goes beyond just being careless or ignoraance and falls into the category of willful provocation. I'd rather have a dozen 400 pound paratroops that one guy with hair like that.

Ok, that my rant for this year.

benjamen13

Re: Why is this sort of thing permitted to happen....revisit

Post by benjamen13 » 28 Jun 2011, 13:09

I don't see anything that is right with this photo.

Grabenkater

Post by Grabenkater » 28 Jun 2011, 15:13

Who are these Yahoos?

They even make the grass look bad.

Tim Smith

Post by Tim Smith » 28 Jun 2011, 15:29

I don't see anything wrong with this unit!

They look great! Best Volkssturm unit I've ever seen! Fat, middle-aged men and a schoolboy, dressed in bits of uniform scavenged from the black market or from hospitals, a mix of jackboots and civilian hiking boots, scarcely any weaponry to speak of....very accurate indeed! They've even got an escapee from the local lunatic asylum who has bravely volunteered (the guy with long hair.)

They could have stepped right out of 1945. Hitler's cannon fodder to hold off the advancing Red Army until the last possible moment.

JurgenHaack

Post by JurgenHaack » 28 Jun 2011, 15:56

This photo is truly vile! It is like a bad car wreck on the interstate, you know you should not look but you have to.

All jokes aside, we are reenacting WWII German Soldaten, the most professional soldiers of WWII!! To come to an event public or private and look like this is a disgrace to the roughly 5,310,000 dead German Soldaten of WWII! We are supposed to be honoring these men.

Jurgen

Sapper44

Post by Sapper44 » 28 Jun 2011, 19:01

That is not a recent photo of that unit. Of all the guys in that pic, only the one on the far right and the kid are even active anymore. I am not in that unit but I see them at events around North Texas, and they are one of the few that come out to almost all the events and support the events. Here is a photo from last month of the same unit.

JurgenHaack

Post by JurgenHaack » 28 Jun 2011, 20:09

The junge on the far right needs to adjust his koppeltraggestell up and move his koppel up a bit.

Dieter

Post by Dieter » 28 Jun 2011, 20:23

2 Unteroffizieren in the same Gebirgs unit? But they have improved. 8-)

cpittman

Post by cpittman » 12 Jul 2011, 16:04

That first picture may be one of the worst reenactment photographs ever taken.

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 13 Jul 2011, 00:45

cpittman wrote:That first picture may be one of the worst reenactment photographs ever taken.
Reminds me of what a friend said many years ago when we were both active in the SCA: "We might not be good in reenacting the Middle Ages, but we are great in reenacting the SCA!" The first photo looks like a bunch of guys who have heard about reenacting, but haven't got the hang of the idea. The newer pic shows that even bog-standard groups can improve (well, there can be only one way - up!).

Daniel

Post by Daniel » 17 Jul 2011, 10:50

cpittman wrote:That first picture may be one of the worst reenactment photographs ever taken.
I think it´s wrong to call it "reenactment". Masquerade would be more appropriate.

wwiichap

Post by wwiichap » 18 Jul 2011, 09:25

Quite the noticeable improvement....almost there

DL

StigRoadie

Post by StigRoadie » 19 Jul 2011, 19:48

Have they fitted green collars to HBT uniforms?
The guy on the left looks like he has on a wool tunic but the other three look like cotton.

Newton30

Post by Newton30 » 20 Jul 2011, 16:51

Heer or waffen-SS ? 8O

Dieter

Post by Dieter » 20 Jul 2011, 20:18

Newton30 wrote:Heer or waffen-SS ? 8O

Both AND neither! :lol:

Return to “Reenactment”