The SS Room Mp40 is it worth it?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
JACK-BOOT

The SS Room Mp40 is it worth it?

Post by JACK-BOOT » 21 Feb 2013, 05:43

Hey guys ive been reenacting axis for 10 years and finally would like to purchase a blank firing mp40. I see that SS room that use to produce the blank firing mp40's has gone out of buisness but another company called NJ sekela has them for sale. There selling them for $3,600.00 8O!!!

Are they reliable? Are they built well? If it breaks are parts available? and for $3,6000 are they worth it??? Ive seen other reenactors use them before and look pretty darn cool and fun. Would love to hear any good or bad reviews on it because id hate to buy a $3,600 dollar toy and have it be a piece of junk. So your opinions please! Thanks :milwink:

dixiedrummer

Re: The SS Room Mp40 is it worth it?

Post by dixiedrummer » 21 Feb 2013, 18:01

I don't think anybody has actually received a bfong from NJ Sekela. I know he was taking orders, but I don't think he came through on anything. Old SSR guns are out there from 2k to 4k. I have a real mp40. IMO, if I'm going to potentially spend 4k on a fake gun, why not save a little more for the real deal. I know not everybody can own MGs though, due to state restrictions, so your only option may be a bfong.

With some tweaking, the bfongs can be a somewhat reliable gun. Guys in my unit mill out vigneron mags and use them because they are much better than the SSR ones. They do need to be kept clean though. They are a pain to disassemble and it's hard to really scrub them up when they are assembled. If you can keep them soaked in Remoil or something, it usually helps. From what I've heard, some guns are great and have no problems, and others are worthless chunks of metal.

JACK-BOOT

Post by JACK-BOOT » 21 Feb 2013, 18:45

I greatly appreciate your input it has been very helpful....Wish they werent so pricey, i mean 3,600 dollars is highway robbery. I would love to get a real one but unfortunately ive seen the real mp40's go for anywhere to 15 to 20k.:( I sent NJ sekela an email to find out about the availbility and warranty on the blank firing mp40's. If anyone has a blank firing mp40 for sale im all ears as well :)

dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer » 21 Feb 2013, 23:43

C&R guns will go from 12k-15k. A tube gun will run you around 8k. There aren't any more being made, so it truly is an investment.

It might be highway robbery, but when you're the only source...

JACK-BOOT

Post by JACK-BOOT » 22 Feb 2013, 01:38

Good point

Dieter

Post by Dieter » 22 Feb 2013, 06:42

I'm in the market as well, so this is good info. If anyone has a reliable one for sale, I am all ears also. :milsmile:

JACK-BOOT

Post by JACK-BOOT » 22 Feb 2013, 06:56

Just heard back from NJ sekela. They said they are in the process of assembling them as we speak and waiting period for one would be 2-3 weeks. :milsmile:

MAPMFF

Post by MAPMFF » 24 Feb 2013, 04:53

I'd like to see how they come out. I'd be in the market, but would want to know that it works well, for $3,600 it had better!

dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer » 26 Feb 2013, 20:16

Probably sold by now, but here ya go:

http://ww2reenactors.proboards.com/inde ... read=42404

rolf5

Post by rolf5 » 27 Feb 2013, 01:03

I owned one of the first ones made by SS Room and it was nothing but awful- The owner was all excuses as was his shopmates. The thing barely worked and had to be sent back several times at my expense to have it worked on- every time it came back, the message was "Fired 3 mags with no problems" however when it was taken to the field it was lucky to fire 1-2 rounds at a time before it jammed up. Poor magazines were a start, and I had great doubts as to the engineering/ manufacturing involved...

One excuse was "Oh, the magazines were delayed so we substituted Sten mags" Really? how did you you get the Sten mag to fit in a MP40-sized mag well?

I am very familiar with the operation of full-auto weapons, and this thing was a great idea and concept, but it was poorly executed. Good luck if you buy one...I'd save my money for K98 blanks...this has never let me down.

MAPMFF

Post by MAPMFF » 27 Feb 2013, 05:21

dixiedrummer wrote:Probably sold by now, but here ya go:

http://ww2reenactors.proboards.com/inde ... read=42404
Yeah. Just missed that one.

Schwen

Post by Schwen » 27 Feb 2013, 06:41

I have one that Dixie D. is talking about in our unit. I'd just keep checking the net for one on sale. I got mine at a big gun show (Show of Shows) in KY for $2.000 plus 7 mags, 2 pouches, speed loader, and 400 rounds of blanks! There are people offloading them, so just keep your eyes peeled.

Mags are a massive issue, as is the cleaning complexity of it. I have been to an event where I blow through 500 rounds, and then have one where I'm jamming up a ton. Least the extractors are AR-15 types, and can be replaced. The vigneron remilled magazines (because they are now facing backwards, thus a new mag catch groove has to be added) can be found real cheap at times, and look real nice other than a small logo on the bottom of each mag. Look for spring tension on the magazines. Other guys in our unit also mention the manipulation of the mag to better align it to feed at the top of each magazine as well.

Best of luck JACK-BOOT. Hope you get lucky and find one!
H. Schwendemann
Uscha. u. Grpfhr
1.Komp 3.Zug 3.Gruppe
LSSAH

otto_schmidt

Post by otto_schmidt » 08 Aug 2013, 04:10

MP40 NJ SEKELA IS A SNAKE OIL SALESMAN, BIG WARNING ABOUT NICK WITH HIS BEFONG MP40.Hello,I fell for his salespitch on his acquiring the SS ROOM patent for the MP40 blank firing befong over the phone and i sent him the required 2000 USD down payment and his promise to have the gun ready for me in 4 to 6 weeks.Well, it has been since March 3, 2013 i placed the order which is 5 months NOW and since that phone conversation he refuses to answer his phone voicemail i leave and insists on e-mails only and now he refuses to answer them .I have asked him for my 2000 dollar down payment back and he will not reply. I should have used my head in the beginning because he displayed all the signs of a bad beginning.He accepts no credit cards,does not accept paypal or through google payments he says because of their political stance of what the MP40 stands for which is total bullshit.He will not answer his phone on order status only e-mail(great customer service Nick)Only check,postal money order or cash so i feel he can elude the IRS and interstate sales trafficking. Make any sense ? I firmly beleive he ran this new item campaign and collected plenty of money and no one has received any MP40`S . He blames it on everyone else except himself.Take ownership asshole and try being honest,it actually works. Well comrads this the truth and i am screwed. Your money patience and time mean nothing to him. After i download all the court papers from his county courthouse on line to file suit and send back, i have to travel out of state to New Jersey for a court date. This is bullshit.
Thanks for reading and beware of him ,Regards Otto

Schwen

Post by Schwen » 09 Aug 2013, 03:48

Thx for posting Otto,

That is a shame. I wish you luck, my friend.

I am still hearing rumblings on another forum (WW2 Reenactors) of a site that is (suposedly) currently making a $1999.00 Thompson SMG BFONG. They say in their post that the next gun they are working on is a MP-40 BFONG.

If you all are interested, I can look up that thread conversation & post it here.

The site is not the now defunct SSRoom, or NjSekela for sure...
H. Schwendemann
Uscha. u. Grpfhr
1.Komp 3.Zug 3.Gruppe
LSSAH

JACK-BOOT

Post by JACK-BOOT » 21 Aug 2013, 18:17

Otto_schmidt...Man thats terrible. I certainly hope that all of it works out for you. Ill be sure to pass the news on to my reenacting unit to stay clear of him.

Return to “Reenactment”