Opinion please

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
2jack

Opinion please

Post by 2jack » 17 Mar 2013, 21:12

Hi, Please.... An opinion on this jacket made ​​from a uniform DDR? is credible, or the differences are too obvious. Thx

SMIDSY

Re: Opinion please

Post by SMIDSY » 18 Mar 2013, 02:14

For reenacting? No, that's not gonna cut it. Some strange party? Sure, why not?

2jack

Post by 2jack » 18 Mar 2013, 07:39

I understand, inexperience and bad advice they make bad mistakes, paid 200 euro, heavy swindle?

unfortunately I see just now this opinion...................S....it!! :cry:

by cpittman on 06 Jul 2003 00:54

I have to agree with the earlier poster who pointed out that Swedish uniforms are the best for converting to a Wehrmacht-style feldbluse. However they will still be easily recognizable as Swede tunics due to the seam down the back which the WW2 German EM wool blouses did not have. (though the drillich uniforms and officers' private purchase items had that seam).
It is, of course, an entertaining project to attempt to convert the East German EM tunic to a WW2 type. However this will ALWAYS be an extremely obvious one-glance NVA item. You can't be dissatisfied with the hand stitching of the insignia when the color of the uniform is totally wrong. It might be OK for an officer but then you would have to use officer insignia. And you can't dye it because it is a polyester/wool blend and the synthetic fibers won't take the dye. Plus look at the spacing of the buttons, there is so much space between the first and second buttons, more than the spacing of the other buttons. Also there is the piping on the cuffs which has already been mentioned. Plus there are a million other things, the feel of the material is so different from a wartime tunic, it has the back seam, and of course all the unseen parts like the liner and pocket setup on the inside, the underside of the collar etc. are totally wrong.
I have been doing WW2 German living history for a few years and have heard horror stories about people wearing NVA uniform items but I never saw it until this past January at one of the national events when a man walked by wearing a full NVA uniform done up as a SS officer. He was just about laughed off the face of the earth, he had not even bothered to remove the piping or change the buttons! I still do see Swedish tunics from time to time but they are being phased out by all the more authentic groups. Also I have seen NVA uniforms that have been converted and have the piping removed for sale on eBay so it can be done. In my personal opinion the NVA conversions are suitable for Halloween parties but little else.

Chris P

SMIDSY

Post by SMIDSY » 19 Mar 2013, 06:27

You paid 200 Euro for it? Yes, VERY heavy swindle.

2jack

Post by 2jack » 19 Mar 2013, 19:58

ok I've killed enough, but the fault is mine alone :oops: :)

Angus1235

Post by Angus1235 » 09 Jul 2014, 04:50

get an east german helmet, paint it bottle-green with a wehrmacht decal, replace the chinstrap with a ww2 version, stone grey trousers and ww2 boots and bam, you've got yourself an alternate-history post war german soldier uniform. maybe go with that instead.

or just get an intricately embroided badge and make it an officer uniform :)
Searching for Truppenfahrrad parts: Torpedo coaster brake parts, Union-werke headlight, truppenfahrrad handlebars, Torpedo front wheel hub.

Return to “Reenactment”